Eric Clapton - Life In 12 Bars (Documentary)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DreamIsOver, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Iam so greatfull towards the researchers who unearthed some really rare and precious footage. I love the super 8 stuff from 68-70 particularly the stuff at Hurtwood with Eric, Bobby Whitlock, Jagger, Bobby Keyes, Cathy James etc.

Smokin Chains, Headfone and Tuck1977 like this.
  2. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

Latest rumours were about an expanded Nothing But The Blues release:
    Eric Clapton - Life In 12 Bars (Documentary)

But I wouldn't mind some more Live Cream either. Or, even more preferable, the complete Derek and the Dominos Fillmore East tapes.

3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Fingers crossed that these rumors turn out to be true! So much great material available from that period.

I still feel they should’ve thrown us a bone and added some live performances as bonus on this Bluray. The complete Old Grey Whistle telecast remastered in HD and stereo would’ve been great!

4. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I'd take NBTB or an expanded From The Cradle. Add the last night of the 1993 Blues shows at the Albert Hall (I was there, i have a boot, best Clapton show i've ever seen, he was on fire.) That whole period around the FTC album and the various tours deserves to be mined for a deluxe set.

5. Almost Simon

OGWT bluray would be excellent, also there is an extra track from that show that wasnt included on the VHS so hope they would dig that out.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

RE: The 2 CD set:
    I've searched this thread using the words loud, and loudness, and find nothing.
    Of course I love the tracks, esp. the previously unreleased Cream, but really have to turn it down, volume-wise.
    Anyone else find this on the loud side ?

danielbravo likes this.
  7. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I’ll take what I can get, just lower the volume.

danielbravo and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  8. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Wooao, I had seen something about the soundtrack but I did not know there were a few unreleased tracks. This will surely be one of my purchases this year!
    Humbly I must admit: This gentleman inspired me to play the electric guitar when I was a boy. Clapton is my guitar hero. So simple, I like many musicians but he is my reference in terms of guitarists. No more no less

I hope to see this documentary very soon ...

9. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Just saw this today. Some pretty heavy stuff. He shows many of the ugly sides and the pain in his life. Definitely shows that one can overcome the trials and tribulations of life.

The issues I see with the documentary is the all to brief coverage of Blind Faith and no mention of the Cream 2005 reunion. The last time in the film Eric talks about Cream is from a video from the 70s (during his drinking years) . He says that Cream's music was too aggressive and that he should never have left John Mayhall.

Funny to see Bob Dylan (in 1965 from backstage) watching Eric Clapton miming playing a bass with Dylan mentioning John's hot new guitar player.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  10. Tim Whitlock Kelly

Tim Whitlock Kelly Well-Known Member

Great documentary including my father Bobby Whitlock

11. Tim Whitlock Kelly

Tim Whitlock Kelly Well-Known Member

Great documentary about Eric and my father Bobby Whitlock

Big Swifty, GMDuss, Bossyman and 8 others like this.
  12. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Paid $15.00 for 17:26 of unreleased live performance of Spoonful. No buyer's remorse.

13. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I prefer it over the performance used on Wheels Of Fire. I love how wild and ferocious Cream got at the end, like on I'm So Glad from Goodbye. This version of Spoonful has that same impact.

14. no time

no time Forum Resident

Well it's just a beginning, probably within 30 years will publish a whole concert or another SDE!

P.S. I hope that in the afterlife there is some record shop

:pineapple: :pineapple::pineapple:

15. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I've listened to this new version of Spoonful a few times now & it's leaving me with a little feeling of frustration - up to the point of the crowd trouble, the boys are absolutely blowing & it's genuinely one of the most powerful performances I've heard from them; you get the feeling that anything is possible up to that point. When the announcer kicks in, to their credit, the band doesn't abandon the performance (I get the feeling that all hell was breaking loose in the auditorium at that point) but slow right down to allow things to simmer down overall - the trouble is, whilst they do a decent job of getting back up to intensity before the final verse, the *thing* has gone a little and you can hear that they're a little disjointed towards the end, as their playing betrays the blow to their respective concentration levels. Overall, the song is a 7 out of 10 for me - 9 before the disruption, 5 afterwards.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the double CD - I thought I wouldn't like the idea of non-EC tracks on it, but the Broonzy/Waters songs really work well (especially the Newport '60 version of Got My Mojo Workin', which is astonishing) & the first disc in particular is a really good Eric Clapton primer of the 60's; anything which draws attention to both his great playing and Aretha's amazing committed vocal on Good To Me... is well worth buying.

16. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Just finished watching the film. Excellent. If you think you know Clapton, take a look at this. Clapton himself says that he has a hard time recognising himself in some parts. Heavy, but also touching. Worth the time spent.

17. All Down The Line

I began playing the guitar because of Keith Richards but when i played in bands i aped lead players particularly Mick Taylor, Hendrix, BB Freddie & Albert King & Jeff Beck. But the guy i grew up with and drew on most as a soloist was Clapton........he wrote the book and playing in blues/rock bands i considered the following all serious text books that need repeated study:
    Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton
    Truth
    Taj Mahal
    London Howlin' Wolf Sessions

18. All Down The Line

Absolutely!

19. revolution_vanderbilt

I was listening to that Howlin' Wolf album, as part of a long playlist of everything Clapton from '69 - '75 (got another ~44 hours to go!) It's also a great to chance to hear Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman outside the Stones.

20. Almost Simon

Love that album, nice to hear Watts/Wyman playing, the only slight disappointment is the amount of tracks that fade out. With in the studio's blues recordings always nice (for me at least,) to hear the natural end to songs, a bit like on the Fleetwood Mac 67-69 Blue Horizon sessions. That aside its a lovely Deluxe edition.

21. revolution_vanderbilt

There are even more outtakes and edits, you know.

10 tracks first released on the album All Night Boogie. I have it on CD as Demon Driving Blues Man. It's kinda grey area stuff. Some of it is lame (like Killing Floor faded out early) but some of it is unique material, like Built For Comfort without horns. The CD sounds like a vinyl rip. I heard a better CD, but it was missing the count ins.

22. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Does this one have more that is not on the deluxe set.

23. revolution_vanderbilt

Everything on it is unique. Many of the tracks are longer, some alternate takes, and some alternate mixes. Sound quality on the CD I have is sub-par, taken from a vinyl, but it's interesting for the super-obsessives.

JulesRules, Matthew Tate and Tuck1977 like this.
  24. no time

no time Forum Resident

The Best Of Eric Clapton (Polydor 1970), Pop History Vol. 7 (Polydor 1971), History Of Eric Clapton (Polydor 1972), At His Best (RSO 1972), Clapton (Polydor 1973), Lo Mejor De Eric Clapton (RSO 1975), The Blues World Of Eric Clapton (Decca 1975),
    Clapton (RSO 1978), Steppin' Out (Decca 1981), After Midnight (RSO 1983), Backtrackin' (RSO 1984), Masters Of Rock (RSO 1986), The Cream Of Eric Clapton (Polydor 1987), Crossroads (Polydor 1988), Eric Clapton Story (Polydor 1990), The Best Of Eric Clapton (Polydor 1991), Crossroads 2 (Polydor 1996), Clapton Chronicles (Reprise 1999), Blues (Polydor 1999), Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues: Eric Clapton (Polydor 2003), Ballads (Reprise 2003), The Best Of Eric Clapton Millennium (Polydor 2004), Complete Clapton (Reprise 2007), Icon (Polydor 2011), Icon 2 (Polydor 2011), Forever Man (Reprise 2014), and more.....

All Down The Line likes this.
  25. All Down The Line

Yes there is an official 2cd Deluxe version about but possibly tough to locate now. In about 74' there was an lp of London Sessions unused material with one side of Muddy & one of Wolf. Worth getting plus a neat cartoon strip cover.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.