Eric Clapton - "Pilgrim" on Audio Fidelity stereo SACD - coming October 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

You don't need one...it's a hybrid

Yannick likes this.
  2. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Was expecting "From The Cradle" next so good to see it's still in the works!

I thought the record label (Warner) would do some "20th anniversary" stuff for EC's last chart topping album but guess not. So much material from those sessions and the subsequent tour.

3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I got into the expanded Unplugged album earlier this year and was floored by Circus, an absolutely beautiful song and performance that I couldn't believe was not included on the album. Then I downloaded the Pilgrim version and wondered what was Eric thinking.......the 1992 version is a gem!

jhm likes this.
  4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Pilgrim does the same for me.

Carserguev and evad like this.
  5. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

So we can't preorder? Don't see if on the AF site for order.

6. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Why wait?

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've been really happy with the AF "Behind The Sun" and "Journeyman". Looking forward to "Pilgrim", especially getting an SACD from the true hi-rez master, and I'm super thrilled to hear "From the Cradle" is on the way as well.

Patience, patience. It will likely be months before this actually comes out. You'll have plenty of time to place your order.

8. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Is this true? If this album was released as the 1996 band version, it would be wonderful! I love the songs on Pilgrim, but the production and drum machine stuff is just a huge turn off to me.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  9. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Broken Hearted is the only song from the 1996 sessions to make it onto the released album, and even then it has programmed drums.

10. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

is there any other info on the 1996 sessions you can direct me to or know about? Very interesting stuff.

krock2009 likes this.
  11. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Yannick likes this.
  12. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Regarding the Alan Douglas 1998 interview:
    Thanks krock2009. I was just about to post that link myself - it's a good insider account of the "Pilgrim" sessions.

And, as one also has to mention every time his name comes up, this Alan Douglas the British engineer, who is probably in his mid-50s now. He is NOT the same Alan Douglas as the American producer of all the controversial Hendrix reissues who died recently at age 82.

Yannick and krock2009 like this.
  13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I totally agree - a very derivative and totally ordinary album.

rstamberg and Linolad like this.
  14. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

From the cradle to the grave? :nyah:

rstamberg likes this.
  15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Has AF announced the Subhumans album too? :D

[​IMG]

Echo likes this.
  16. Gomper

Gomper Forum Resident

His best solo album???? Not only is it the worst thing that Clapton's ever put out, it could very well be the worst thing ANYONE who's survived from the 60s has put out.

17. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Of course it's derivative. It's a blues album and one where Clapton is clearly doing music that he loves.

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I'm quite a fan of Eric Clapton but this one did not appeal.

19. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

Great to hear, even though I recently bought the re-issued vinyl of this.

20. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Unfortunately, the feelsing that the artist has reworked the song until he cannot stand it anymore himself, rubs off on this listener. It is worse with the "Reptile" and "Back Home" albums.

Why did Clapton do that? Isn't a record meant to capture the best performance? Instead, by working this way, all you will capture is the most annoyed performance.

Good to know it's documented in the article, but nevertheless, I wish that wasn't the case at all with this album.

21. Available at Acoustic Sounds for pre-order...price is $29.98 and their listed release date is Oct. 21st, along with the 5.1-surround/stereo hybrid SACD of Blood Sweat & Tears' "Child Is Father To The Man"...

22. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Is it necessary to express this much hatred on anything? Methinks you've gone too far. :)

I did not particularly like Pilgrim at first listen, and frankly there were not many listens after that. But I am looking forward to giving it another try.

:wave:

agentalbert likes this.
  23. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I agree. While I have not heard the whole album, my reservations at the time was that the single was the best song and the rest would be less good adult contemporary stuff. hardly worst territory.

24. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Looking forward to this. I like the music, but it has always been one of the loudest CDs in my collection.

25. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

So what's left from the WB years after Cradle?
    Money and Cigarettes, August and maybe the Rush Soundtrack probably.