Eric Clapton - "Pilgrim" on Audio Fidelity stereo SACD - coming October 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Put me down for a pre-order.

2. Gomper

Gomper Forum Resident

Well I'm passionate about rock and roll. And I'm passionate about Clapton. But this album has some hints of rap, which I can't stand. Its so very modern and contemporary of its time, its hard to believe its Clapton. He is known for his guitar playing. This album could have been released by anyone in 1998. "Back Home" and "Clapton" aren't great either, but "Pilgrim" is the worst. Hey, its just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions! Clapton is one of my heroes. But this album really doesn't sit well with me. I'll still keep it in my collection. I'll never get rid of it..... because its Clapton. But I really do think its his weakest effort to date.

jhm and Carserguev like this.
  3. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

The Lethal Weapon soundtracks?

Was the soundtrack for The Van ever released?

4. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Amazon has Lethal Weapons soundtracks

5. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

All 4 of them were released on CD?

I take it that the OST from Stephen Frear's The Van wasn't released in any way shape or form...

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

How much of Clapton's music are on these soundtracks?

7. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I was listening this morning to Pilgrim from Going Down Slow to the end of the disc. Going Down Slow has a very nice groove going on which is followed by Fall Like Rain which also moves along nicely. The Dylan song Born In Time sounds a little bit too stately for me is still far from a loser. The blues number Sick And Tired swings along at a good pace. Needs His Woman is one I can pass on but She's Gone is another keeper even though live versions of it truly burn. You Were There is a typical slow EC number with a soaring guitar break. Inside Of Me as the album ender lands with a thud, but my Japanese import includes Theme From A Movie That Never Happened which is an instrumental that has exquite acoustic playing by the master. I didn't play the first six tracks this morning but My Father's Eyes, River Of Tears, Pilgrim, Broke Hearted, One Chance and Circus all are good to better in my opinion. Come on Gomper, give it another spin.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've been a fan of EC since the early 70's. I hadn't listened to the Pilgrim CD in quite awhile but after reading this thread I broke it out. After listening to the first four tracks I now remember why I haven't played it in so long. The biggest turn off for me is the programmed drumming. After playing the first four tracks I switched CDs. No offense to anyone that likes this album but for me it isn't one of EC's best efforts IMO. The vocals on the title track almost sound like EC is trying to sound like someone else. I enjoy many of the SACDs I have from Audio Fidelity but will be passing on Pilgrim.

Bill

richarm likes this.
  9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I believe this is the only way you can get the music from Lethal Weapon 4 (which was not issued at the time of the original film's release) as well as the outtakes from all four films:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title...DTRACK-COLLECTION-8-CDS-LIMITED-3000-EDITION/

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I don't own Pilgrim, so this SACD will be my first and probably last copy. Just waiting for Amazon to put it up for pre-order.

11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I don't own Pilgrim and will continue to not own Pilgrim after the release date. :D Bill Mac is right on about that gawd awful percussion sound, it adds nothing to the mediocre material.

12. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident

Indeed!! Just say the word!!:pineapple::wiggle::goodie:

jmrife and Carserguev like this.
  13. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Glad to see AF undertake recordings with massive compression on the original CD.

14. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

It's now up on the Audio Fidelity website, for those interested.

rstamberg and Naughty Chord like this.
  15. I'm surprised that this album is getting the AF treatment. Must be desperate!

16. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Great news, big thanks to Stephen for not giving up!

The Rhino 2LP is the eq'd 16/44.1 CD master according to "Dr. Rhino" so I passed on that because I already own the CD. I love the songwriting here but the CD is too squished, can't wait to hear the potential behind these tracks when my pre-ordered SACD comes in. Cheers!

Naughty Chord likes this.
  17. cds4dad

cds4dad Senior Member

The AF SACD just arrived and I noticed that the first track "My Father's Eyes" is 40 seconds longer than on the Reprise CD. Has this version appeared anywhere else?

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't know. I have a cd-single of the song, but its the same as the album version. So it's a full 6 minutes on the AF release? What do you think of the sound?

19. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

How did you get it? I see a November 11th release date listed.

20. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Subscribers like me have already received their discs direct from Audio Fidelity. If you subscribe the "guarantee" is that you will receive the product before it released to the general public.

Metralla likes this.
  21. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

I noticed that. As far as I can tell, the last verse that begins with "as my soul slides down to die" simply repeats on the AF 6:06 version as compared to the Reprise 5:24 version.

22. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Was it a loop, or did Eric actually sing it twice?

23. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

Seems like a loop.

24. Lyndon Perry

Lyndon Perry Forum Resident

Well, if this is true that could be the reason why I could not go on listening to this SACD and had to stop in the middle of a track (the title track 3, I think) to avoid a possibly irreversible ear bleed. I am in shock: never had to stop any Steve Hoffman SACD in mid-flap before, ever.
    Mind you, I do not blame Steve at all. His other recent SACD of BS&T is stellar and more than makes up for it.
    I immediately had to put on a 1S Shaded Dog Tchaikovsky’s 6th to tune back my ears and regain my balance.
    Still puzzled as to what had happened.

25. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

What was so offensive on the SACD to cause such a terrible reaction to your ears? I can think of a few things that are that repulsive as to cause ear damage, but Pilgrim ? If you're looking to unload the disc, i'll trade you for it.