Eric Records - new releases - DES or "Digitally Extracted Stereo" versions of 50s classics +

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John B Good, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Eric Records - new releases - DES versions of 50s classics + a cd of 60s classic s ending with MacArthur Park

Rock Around the Clock in stereo? It sounds so good in mono!

Various | Hard To Find Jukebox Classics - The Fifties: 31 Amazing Stereo Hits | Hit Parade Records

1. (We re Gonna) Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley & His Comets [STEREO DEBUT]
    2. Blueberry Hill - Fats Domino [STEREO DEBUT]
    3. Diana - Paul Anka [STEREO DEBUT]
    4. Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley [STEREO SINGLE DEBUT]
    5. Only You (And You Alone) - The Platters [STEREO DEBUT]
    6. My Prayer - The Platters [STEREO DEBUT]
    7. The Wayward Wind - Gogi Grant [STEREO DEBUT]
    8. Catch A Falling Star - Perry Como
    9. Melodie D Amour (Melody Of Love) - The Ames Brothers
    10. Tammy - The Ames Brothers
    11. Wonderful! Wonderful! - Johnny Mathis [STEREO DEBUT]
    12. It s Not For Me To Say - Johnny Mathis [STEREO DEBUT]
    13. The Tennessee Waltz - Patti Page [STEREO DEBUT]
    14. My Special Angel - Bobby Helms [STEREO DEBUT]
    15. The Great Pretender - The Platters [STEREO DEBUT]
    16. Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley [STEREO DEBUT]
    17. The Green Door - Jim Lowe [STEREO DEBUT]
    18. Baubles, Bangles And Beads - The Kirby Stone Four [RARE STEREO]
    19. Mack The Knife - Bobby Darin [STEREO REMIX]
    20. Splish Splash - Bobby Darin [STEREO SINGLE DEBUT]
    21. A Lover s Question - Clyde Mcphatter [RARE STEREO]
    22. It Will Stand - The Showmen [STEREO DEBUT]
    23. Without You - Johnny Tillotson [STEREO DEBUT]
    24. The Twelfth Of Never - Johnny Mathis [STEREO DEBUT]
    25. Since I Don t Have You - The Skyliners [STEREO DEBUT]
    26. Come Softly To Me - The Fleetwoods [STEREO DEBUT]
    27. See You In September - The Tempos [RARE STEREO]
    28. 26 Miles (Santa Catalina) - The Four Preps [STEREO DEBUT]
    29. Happy Whistler - Don Robertson [STEREO DEBUT]
    30. Soft Summer Breeze - Eddie Heywood [STEREO DEBUT]
    31. Lisbon Antigua - Nelson Riddle [STEREO DEBUT]

The second cd is called Late 60s classics, but has some tracks from 65. The MacArthur Park is the one that interests me.

Hard To Find 45s on CD | Volume 17: Late Sixties Classics | Eric Records

2. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

I'm in. Love all Eric releases! :cheers:

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have to admit that the folks at ERIC Records have finally got it together with their quality, after so many shaky years, but I have to ask the question that is demanding to be asked and that is "Who is requesting all of these already great mono tracks, to be somehow remixed to stereo, after all of these years?" Someone evidently never lived with any "Duophonic" or other "fake stereo" albums, like I have. Thanks, but NO thanks, all the same!

john lennonist and Joy-of-radio like this.
  4. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Eric's stereo releases are waaaaay better than Duophonic. They sound great.

Give 'em a listen. You'll be surprised.

Beaglemaster, goodiesguy, VVK and 4 others like this.
  5. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Eric Records. Now that is a record label I can really get into. :D

izgoblin, 4_everyman, Jrr and 8 others like this.
  6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

As my monicker suggests, I am a nut for True Stereo. That said, I like to seek out any releases that might offer something in the way of stereo that I dont have.

These DES releases by ERIC are very, very interesting, as they do a great job of picking the songs that lend themselves to the DES process like "House Of The Rising Sun" and staying away from the ones that dont, like "Any Way You Want It", as examples.

At its best, the top DES mixes released sound really, really convincing. Some of these , like House of The Rising Sun, are virtually indistinguishable from true stereo mixes. Its rather amazing what can be done when all the variables line up correctly. Others, like "Navy Blue" just didn't turn out that well. This is not a critisizim , just an observation.

Of course, there is a price to be paid for this. To my ears, the DES tracks tend to lose the "master tape quality" of the mono mixes that can be found on the right CDs. The MCA Cd of Bill Haley and The Comets that Steve Hoffman produced, was taken right off the 1954 mono masters and sounds incredible, and one hates to lose that kind of in your face sound. BUT, this is a matter of choice, really. My feeling is that its great to have BOTH, and pick and chose down the line which tracks you like best.

I will be picking up this CD on the strength of the sound samples. Logic says that there should be something nice for everyone on this release.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks @John B Good ! Pre ordered Volume 17 from Amazon. As low as $10.85 at import CDs !

SandAndGlass and Joy-of-radio like this.
  8. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I made the mistake of sending an email question to the Eric web site. That turned into the owner calling me on the phone and after that I wouldn't give that company a nickel.

john lennonist, rod and melstapler like this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Wow! What did you guys talk about?

10. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I have the disc from last year, with 30 hits from 1960-1964. I think it's pretty interesting. These digitally extracted stereo mixes really aren't all that bad and it's nice to have an alternate presentation from time to time, or maybe have a more consistent sound on a homemade comp, etc... some of you probably have some of these songs in your library 43 times across different discs. And maybe even one of those is an untouchable preferred mastering by one of the greats. So what's the harm in one version that's a little different.

John B Good likes this.
  11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I have that disk too and like it.

Sometimes I like a bit of consistency - transitions from mono to stereo and back can sometimes be jarring. Cindy's Birthday on the Ace Golden Age series sounds a bit out of place.

12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

HOLY CRAP! rock around the clock in true stereo????? un freakin' believable!!

Shak Cohen likes this.
  13. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Rick, it's NOT in True Stereo. It's Digitally Extracted . Rock Around The Clock was recorded in full track mono.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Excited because I don't already have some of these on CD, and I busted my ass a few years back, avoiding re-recordings, and other dastardly things done in the name of musical memories ! This is actually my second Eric Records purchase, the first being Various - Dick Bartley Presents: Classic Oldies 1965-1969

[​IMG]

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  15. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

I spoke with the owner of Eric Records a few years ago. (I called him at the number on the CD.)

It was a great call. He was very interested in what songs I was interested in and my opinion on oldies, cds, collecting, etc. I have noticed a lot of my requests/preferences showing up on releases from Eric records. For sure, a worthwhile call.

My impression is that he is as much a music/oldies fanatic as I am. (which is saying something.)

16. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

ahhh! I was using my ears first haha, it sounds really great though, I jumped without researching first, and indeed, as I always believed, it was
    recorded full track mono. They have done a great job with some of these DES songs.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  17. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I'm probably going to take some heavy ridicule for bringing this up as this is an audiophile forum, but is anyone considering purchasing from Eric Records the title "hard to Find 45s on CD Volume 17"? It features pop tunes from the late 60s, and many are remastered in DES (digitally extracted stereo). I have listened to the samples and I must say I am most intrigued! I have pre-ordered a copy, which is due out February 17. Here is a link to the product where are you can listen to samples. Hard To Find 45s on CD | Volume 17: Late Sixties Classics | Eric Records

Jarleboy, Grant and GTOJUDGE like this.
  18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

:hide: (just because) :D

19. Augustus McRae

Augustus McRae Forum Resident

I bought one of this company's discs to dj a "retro dance party" and it was a good value for songs I remembered but hadn't found. Decent sound quality, the disc was in great shape, and great track selections. I talked myself into it. Sure, I will buy one!

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  20. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Gimme Some Lovin in stereo?

Grant likes this.
  21. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

Thanks for the post- I just ordered this!

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  22. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Yes, true stereo at that.

While "Incense and Peppermints" by Strawberry Alarm Clock is DES, the sample sounds promising!

SandAndGlass and GTOJUDGE like this.
  23. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

What did he call you?

Ed

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

DES: When Duiphonic just won't do.

Not really getting the love for electronically processed mono...

25. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

This thread could use a better title imho so it would be easier to search. If I was searching, "hard" and "find" would be two key words I'd probably use.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.