Eric Woolfson Solo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

I always love Eric's songs from Alan Parson's Project - you know Time, Eye in the sky, Ammonia Avenue and others. Actualy with time I came to the conclusion that I especially enjoyed his vocals a lot. Do you know if Eric did any solo works outside APP and if he sings on them? I heard he did a couple of musicals but I guess he's just a composer there...

2. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Yes, he did.

Here's the timeline.

Woolfson had a brief stint trying to do another "Project" album after Gaudi. There were the usual players: AP, Andrew Powell, Ian Bairnson, Stewart Elliott, etc. His "concept" album had to deal with Sigmund Freud - hence the name, "Freudiana".

It's the most beautiful Project ever (even if AP and EW split before they could finish the album). It's considered by most to be a Woolfson solo album. I dunno - it's 50% Project, and 50% EW to me.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-4530224-5077649?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

There's also a "Black" Freudiana, which is sung in German. Stay away from that one - it's really terrible.

On with the show. EW did 2 more musicals, called Gaudi (based on the APP's "Gaudi") and "Gambler" (based on the APP's "Turn of a Friendly Card" and "Eye in the Sky"). Quite frankly, they are not that very good (and completely OOP - you can find them on eBay for +$100). I'd say... hummm... Gaudi is... ahem... bad. Yep, that's the word. It may be the worst album ever to come out of AP or EW.

"Gambler" is interesting. It has nice versions of "Games People Play", and a very different rendition of "Eye in the Sky". It's like the APP albums - all gone Broadway. Personally, I do not like this. Some people think it's OK. I would definitely NOT spend the big bucks trying to get these albums (I have them, so I know! :) )

2003 brought us "Poe - More Tales of Mistery and Imagination". This is Eric Woolfson at his creative peak. I'd say I like Freudiana a bit more, because of its strong collaboration ties with the rest of the gang, but if you want to listen to EW solo at his peak, *this* is the album to get.

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/AS...r=2-3/ref=sr_aps_prod_3_3/028-7262067-9074961

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanx for the info! I'll be getting "Freudiana" as soon as possible!
    As for "More Tales...". Does Eric sing on the new record?

4. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Personal all-time favorite APP albums:

1. Tales of Mystery & Imagination
    2. Turn of a Friendly Card

A couple of favorite tracks, "Prime Time", "Days Are Numbers", "The Gold Bug", "May Be A Price To Pay"

One certainly wishes Parsons & Woolfson would come back together in the studio for a new 70's-styled work. They are missed.

5. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

He sings a couple of lines, but you'll *never* find out which they are (I guarantee it!).

The main singer is someone called Steve Balsamo. He's kinda OK.

(Hint: Eric does vocals on "The Murders of the Rue Morgue". He does all of the "funny" voices.) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.