"! Error occurred...." importing to iTunes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sandinista, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident Thread Starter

Weird thing just happened that has never (1,000s upon 1,000s of rips) happened to me while ripping a CD to iTunes.

I just plopped in a disc to rip an the "!" icon popped up with the text: An error occurred when converting the file "under my wheels." (ed: 1st song on disc) Required disc could not be found.

I ejected and tried it a few times: same thing. I then tried a few other discs: same thing.

Ideas on what happened and how to fix it?

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Have you been manually mucking with any of the files where your music is stored? I had a similar problem after deleting some songs without using the iTunes interface. I think the only way to fix it was to create a new iTunes library.

I've also seen something similar when ripping to an external drive routed through a USB hub. Something about the hub was causing a problem. Everything was fine when I connected the drive directly to a USB port.

3. Sandinista

No, no mucking. I always use the iTunes interface.

4. Sandinista

Impatient - called iTunes - problem solved. Thanks for chiming in Curbach (you can always count on a GP/Van Morrison/Alcatrazz fan to try and help :D)

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

So what was the solution?

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You "called iTunes"? I call it a piece of crap all the time, but rarely get it to respond. And Apple's no help, either.

Usually, the "!" error sign indicates the database is corrupt, a file got moved, or the destination directory was set up wrong in the user config. If it's only one file, it's not a big deal. God help you when it's thousands of files. (Though this is easier fixed today than it used to be.)

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yeah, but this error occurred before the rip, so there is no file yet to get lost.

As far it being easier to find the "!" files, this happened to me once or twice. Once iTunes asked if I want to use the directory to which I pointed to find other lost files, the other time it didn't ask. Even though I clicked the OK , it didn't 'look' for those files and I had to do them one by one anyway!

8. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

The dupe issue is different, the cause for the most part is carelessness by the user.
    The automatic script fix, for eliminating the dupes, is relatively straight forward to use and works well.
    I'd hazard a guess, that when Sandanista tried to rip the cd in iTunes, it could not find the iTunes library folder, refused to rip and threw up that error.

This can happen, eg. if the music library folder is on a disconnected external disk.
    However, with iTunes on MacOs, iTunes should chose the default iTunes music folder for completing an operation like ripping a cd, when it can't find the preferred Music Folder

9. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I had the same issue recently. I restarted iTunes and the problem went away.

10. Sandinista

Oops, meant to say called Apple. I'm sure many of you guys could've solved the problem easily but I was impatient and wanted to resolve it before I left the house.

The issue was resolved by deleting com.apple.iTunes.plist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.