Esoteric 2010 Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zphage, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I listened to Esoteric's release of Banco's AS IN A LAST SUPPER this morning and compared it directly with the old Italian Virgin CD. Granted, comparing this English mix to the Italian mix is a bit like comparing apples and apple cider perhaps, but I was really disturbed by the difference. Most obviously, the Esoteric CD is mid-rangey and the bass is anything but well-defined as it is on the Italian CD. I will say this - I have come to love this album, and I had a great time listening to the Italian disc, so much so that I wanted to hear it again immediately. And so I put on this Esoteric fiasco, and was so annoyed by its faults that I could not enjoy the great music contained within and had to turn it off after the first two tracks.

Evidence of the problem is clear in the quiet opening moments. In fact, I believe what I hear is evidence that this disc is actually a needledrop, and a poor one at that. First, I hear a rumbling that seems to come around as if on every rotation of the LP for the first 30 seconds or so. Just before the louder synths enter, we hear a pre-echo which is either print-through or the evidence of a worn LP or mistracking cartridge. I tend to believe it's less likely to be actual print-through, especially given the other characteristics of this transfer. DNR has been quite obviously used in the quiet parts, but when the noise is allowed to come through, it sounds far more like vinyl surface noise than tape hiss.

I'm not at home right now to create a sample, but I believe others would clearly hear the same thing I am hearing. Honestly, Esoteric has disappointed me so many times at this point that I absolutely will not buy any more CDs from them until I hear praise from several members on this forum first, which is not likely to occur I'm afraid. I wouldn't necessarily mind a CD from an excellent needledrop, but excellent is one thing this is not.

I think I'll be emailing Esoteric and expressing my dissatisfaction directly.

After buying two noisy German LPs of this title and now this CD, I still don't have a good copy of the English version to enjoy. Anyone else looking to hear this underrated Banco LP should absolutely do so, but not with this release.

2. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Has anyone listened to the first two Renaissance (Mk I) albums released on Esoteric records yet ? How do they compare to other editions (Repertoire Records for example) ?

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Would like to know that myself! I always liked how the first Renaissance album sounded on Rep.

4. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Just to cause no confusion. I was referring to the mid-90ies release on Repertoire Records.

5. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Paschal Byrne's recent remastering works are fine IMO, but Ben Wiseman let's me down everytime!

6. Faust3D

Faust3D Sick of it all

Did anyone here get new Tangerine Dream re-masters on REACTIVE sub-label from Esoteric Recordings? Seems very interesting and extensive, the only thing I want to know is how they sound.

7. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I took delivery of the Zeit limited edition box set today. I haven't played it yet - hopefully tonight - but I did a waveform check of Birth and I'm pleased to say that it's not brickwalled or compressed (mastering by Ben Wiseman).

As for NR, I've never been that confident of my ability to detect it but at least I have another CD to compare it to.

8. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I picked up 2, Zeit and Underwater Sunlight, mainly to get the bonus tracks and concert. Wish I have not done so! Besides being way too Loud [not 'brickwalled' but seriously limited], they were rendered Lifeless, Dead and Rigor Mortised from NR. Quite possibly the worst sounding TD discs I've ever heard. Makes the dull 20-bit remasters from the 1990's almost good in comparison. The originals still rule - no surprise to me.

I'm positive some will chime in with comments like "they ain't so bad" or "they new clarity or detail" well don't believe hogwash by those looking to somehow justify the new purchase. If you value your money use it to get the original CD's or something else but avoid Esoteric! You have been warned.

P.S. The new album notes are decent, but I could have read them online for free. Also forgot to mention it has been noted on some TD fan sites that Esoteric did not have access to the masters. Although given their crappy mastering style I don't think it would have made much of a difference.

9. Faust3D

Faust3D Sick of it all

What about Alpha Centauri? I really wanted Ultima Thule single that is comes with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.