Esoteric X-03 SE...any opinions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BSC, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I think this is the X-03. Where does the heat vent?

My player is ventilated on top. It is not what could be regarded as quiet, that's for sure.

2. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Thanks for mentioning it, if these issues are not brought to light they will never get addressed. Plus, spending that kind of coin on what many would consider an "outdated" medium makes one want to suss out every possible negative. Due to some serious vision issues my ears have become more sensitive and attuned to errant 'noise' so I'm starting to think this may not be the right unit for me. I'm a good 10' from the rack but........

3. AxiomAcoustics

Looks like there are sinks out the back. Of course that should have nothing to do with transport noise. What do you mean about you'rs not being quiet?

4. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Well, it's probably 50% open on top (Cary 306 SACD Pro). Any noise that's going on is going to get out unlike with the X-03. I saw those sinks in the back. Hm. Seems like a better idea.

5. AxiomAcoustics

That Cary is tubed yes?

6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Nope. It's power supplies and analog section look something like that X-03. I believe the analog stage is "Class A". In any event, my Cary runs pretty warm and I suspect the X-03 will as well.

7. BSC

BSC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes the X-03SE is a sealed unit it has a single set of heat sinks just below the audio connections. This machine does not even get remotely hot.

Not sure what the original X03 looked like as all the photos I found on a quick search are the SE with the metal tag on top-I take it the 03 didn't have that.

8. AxiomAcoustics

Ah, so you're talking about mechanical and thermal noise? Not output noise correct?

I was seriously considering the new Aesthetix CDP/DAC but was worried about what "JA" found was a very high analog noise floor.

9. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

'Outdated' for me means its absolutely imperative to protect my SACD investment and that I get a rock solid transport that hopefully won't wear out anytime soon (an issue I've had with other players). That's what's been so attractive to me about the Esoterics (and the Playback Design which uses an Esoteric transport I believe).

On the sound quality side, I did notice a dramatic improvement in overall 'realism' with the X-03SE relative to my previous Sony XA5400ES. Much closer to my Rega RP6 / Exact 2 vinyl experience. Excited about going back through my SACD catalog... :)

BTW, been doing some reading around the TI/Burr-Brown DAC chip used in the X-03SE, the recently discontinued PCM1704. Check out the user comments on the TI product page:

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1704

It does sound great.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

Agreed, the transport is exactly one of the reasons I'm considering the Esoteric as well. One of the few companies not using an "off-the-shelf" transport. I just hope it's quiet. I'm also in need of the largest display possible, which the Esoteric has.

Funny you mention the Playback Designs, that is also on the short list. The MPS-3, not the $17k MPS-5. Another consideration is the SimAudio 650D, which only does RBCD but I'd keep the Oppo for hi-rez discs and run the Oppo into the Sim:

[​IMG]

I'll check out that TI info in a bit.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Correct. I'd avoid players which measure high for the noise floor. One of these days I'd like to break the record for lowest system noise floor! Nothing beats a "black" background.

12. AxiomAcoustics

Of course, the room in which we listen then ultimately becomes the biggest "noise" problem with which to address. I think many folks would be amazed at how "loud" their surroundings are and how much musical information it obscures or masks.

Starwanderer and jh901 like this.
  13. BSC

Very black background with the Esoteric....

14. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'd like to compare yours and mine. There's gotta be some owner or professional findings out there. I'd guess that they have some minor voicing differences but I'd expect them to perform overall at the same level. If that were the case, then I'd go with the Esoteric for the build quality and give up the digital inputs.

15. BSC

There seems to be next to no info on a comparison between the players. Of course the ability for any of us to do a lot of comparisons is limited and easily the best way is at home. But even then it takes a few weeks of tweaking and getting stuff right to really know a new component you are really only going to do that after buying.

I would agree with your assessment I think even then a fair bit might depend on system synergy and matching of components. I think as well we are talking about quite rare components in real terms-the internet can distort that because we have people across countries and indeed continents talking about the same components in reality this a is a place where rare people gather. I'm sure my dealer said Esoteric would probably only sell about 15 digital players (we are talking K series I'm sure) across the whole of the UK every year. How many people are really going to get the opportunity to dem real high end stuff-the big cities maybe and how many are not driven by opportunity related to cost? The people with super systems but every bit of my kit is pre-owned and traded up-yes it's a pretty high end set up but getting components at the right price was the only way I could it......

jh901 likes this.
  16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

By the way, I'm guessing at least 300 hours will be needed on the X-03 before broken in. You might look into ideas such as recommended discs and running time, shutting off, back on, etc.

17. BSC

It's a second hand machine several years old it's probably there......it sounded better after it been on a couple of days.

The whole break in thing for me, personally I've never heard it in any great form but I know others swear by it, I know Esoteric say it's a reality but I've bought brand new Ayre and Luxman and the best I can say is after a month things sounded more settled and natural. A slight move is all I'v ever heard. But I'm a hobbyist in this game who thinks certain things do make a difference in certain circumstances but leaps and steps in genuine terms have only came about from buying better equipment.

formu_la likes this.
  18. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

I also bought my x03SE second hand, like BSC mine's several years old and if there's such a concept as 'breaking in' then it's done that already. It sounded incredible out of the box and it's the most enjoyable SACD player I've yet owned.

I can hear some audible noise during play; its coming from the very fast rotation speed of the disc. It's not particularly instrusive to me but it could bother some listeners; I've heard of some owners returning their machines because of the noise, but Esoteric don't regard this as a fault. Best to audition before buying.

The only snag for me is that I'm now intent on finding a used K1!!

19. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

Even playing at night, that rotational noise seems very quiet to me, and quickly masked by even quiet musical passages.

Second night in with the X-03SE, it really is wonderful sounding and will hold me over for some time. Amazingly articulate without stridency, with a strong low end foundation. Not sure whether a K1 / K1x or Playback Designs MPS-3 would be the next logical step up.

Mentioning again the PCM1704 used on the X-03SE, check out the comments from designers upon learning of the end of life'ing of that part by TI in the link below.

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1704

20. AxiomAcoustics

Thanks for mentioning the noise issue. Would you mind sharing how close the unit is to your listening position and what type of rack it's in? Is the rack quite open? Or does it have some enclosure to it? Is your listening environment extremely quiet? Any input on this is appreciated as I do not have a chance to demo a unit not having a dealer in the state.

21. AxiomAcoustics

What's your rack situation like? Completely open? What's your proximity to the unit? Quiet space? I will sometimes kill the HVAC because the vent turbulence can be easily heard and the vent is about 12' away when seated.

22. alan967tiger

I sit about 9 ft from the X03SE and it sits on a Quadraspire Q4 rack which is open. Yes, the room is quiet; I'm the only person who uses it and it's used only for listening to music - my wife only sets foot in the room on rare occasions!
    I'll add that at the moment I do most of my listening through 'phones so I can't hear the noise at all; but when I listen through the speakers, the noise isn't bothersome for me.

23. AxiomAcoustics

Thanks for the details, most appreciated. I'm about 10' away myself but have 'vented' sides to the rack, which will likely temper the noise a bit. Maybe even adding some absorption to the 'ceiling' of the space in which it sits would help if needed. I'm starting to think that it's inherent in many modern-day transports. The PS Audio transport gets similar complaints.

24. alan967tiger

Yes, I agree that many modern-day transports create noise. My view is that the pros of the X03SE outweigh the cons; and if you can pick one up for a good price, then that's even better. It's a fabulous sounding machine; for many listeners, it might well be one's last disc spinner.

25. AxiomAcoustics

Actually I'm considering the K05 and K03, which seem to exhibit the same issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.