Esoteric X-03 SE...any opinions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BSC, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I've had an X03-SE since it came out, and I don't think I'd ever want another player. The disc drawer makes some noise when opening and closing, but that might be due to the fact that I once hit it with my knee when it was in the "open" position. Fairly silent while playing, if not perfectly silent. I don't notice it.

2. BSC

BSC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can I just be clear as well that as far as I'm aware the K3 is the transport that has exhibited some signs of noise when playing not the X-03SE or the K1 who use a supposedly better transport design. The K3 uses a different transport.

3. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I've done the 105D into the Chord Hugo. Left me wanting for more on CD. LM-515 was exactly what I wanted.

4. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Well, decided to go ahead and order the K-03X today, will report back after installation. There's about a 30 day lead time due to the popularity of the 1 and 3, which I find interesting at this price-point. Another piece of evidence (albeit somewhat anecdotal) that the death of the physical disc is not yet upon us.

As an FYI, there will be an "X" version of both the K-05 and K-07 hitting the Japanese market in April with a US release sometime around June. A worthy upgrade methinks.

LeeS and jh901 like this.
  5. BSC

Let us know how it sounds when you get it I'm loving my X-03SE

6. AxiomAcoustics

Will do, good to hear you're digging yours. I'm just worried about finding a spot in the rack, these things are huge! Between the fine aesthetics and size it almost deserves to sit atop like a turntable. :)

7. BSC

If you think that's big I have the Esoteric A-100 amp, I have both on the floor awaiting a new plinth for my X-03SE.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  8. AxiomAcoustics

The K-03X has landed. I certainly did not expect a palletized freight shipment for a "disc player". Is that really just ONE component? It took 2 hours to get everything carefully unpacked and into the listening room, a marvel of packaging and protection. I've received shipments from some serious audio companies but this I believe beats them all. No ham-fisted, knuckle-dragging box jugglers for this beauty.

[​IMG]

It now sits atop the rack awaiting setup choices and run-in time. Does anyone have any input or recommendations regarding Upconversion and Filtering options, whether with this model or similar Esoteric models? Of course the ultimate arbiter will be listening but with 5 Upconversion options for each input and 6 Filtering options (including the DSD Filter) for each input a good baseline starting point would make things less daunting.

[​IMG]

TimArruda likes this.
  9. BSC

Looks wonderful.......have a look at this.....http://www.audioaficionado.org/esoteric/29391-esoteric-k01-k03-k01-x-k03-x-tips.html

10. AxiomAcoustics

Thanks BSC, most appreciated! Funny, I used to work on acoustics projects from time to time with Ivan, should have checked the forum.

If you get a chance would you mind sharing your preferences with settings? I'm currently on 4x, SDLY1 and DSD "On". Going to try 8x this weekend.

Thanks again.....

11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Might be interesting to compare redbook layer vs. DSD layer on hybrid SACDs for which each layer is derived from the same mastering. SACD playback should bypass the upconverting and filtering, so perhaps the best setting for redbook will be that which gets the sound closest to the DSD layer.

Anyhow, hopefully you are able to put a few hundred hours on it. If your pre-amp has a headphone output then that could make playing the Esoteric 24/7 easy.

12. AxiomAcoustics

Definitely going to do that once things are fully broken-in. The Esoteric factory recommends a minimum of 200 hoirs for each filter. I may give that a go, at least for the RBCD playback. There is a DSD option for the filters for RBCD but the consensus is that it's a bit on the dark and relaxed side. Separately, while you're right that SACD playback bypasses the Oversampling and Filter settings for RBCD there is a DSD filter, which is either On or Off. Waiting to hear on the particulars for that. Right now it's On, and sounding unbelievable. First spin cold was MoFi's In A Silent Way and after hearing that album 500 times we heard things we never heard before McLaughlins guitar was especially present and realistic, whispering, it was in way hair-raising.

I've just been running it on "Repeat" for the last few days. Listen to it all day, then whatever is in at night, repeat until morning.

13. BSC

AA I have the older X-03SE which doesn't have that range of settings.

14. AxiomAcoustics

Ah, in some way's you're lucky, less fiddling, more listening.

15. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Expectation bias, etc. Yada, yada. All DACs sound about the same. [ENJOY!!!]

Super.

16. AxiomAcoustics

:doh: I keep forgetting that. Thx!

17. ngc4900

ngc4900 New Member

Hello
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a newbie so please be patient with my ignorance.

I just purchased a used Esoteric x-03 SE for under 2K in very nice condition from the original owner. My question is two fold. Does the fact that the player does not play the native DSD layer on an SACD detract from the SQ of SACD? I think it coverts DSD to PCM. Does that negatively impact the SQ for SACD? Am I missing out on newer SACD players that do play the DSD layer in its native form.

The player is 7 years old but sounds great. Is it worth having it serviced?

Thanks so much.

18. BSC

Firstly I wouldn't get it serviced-leave well alone.

I'm no expert on how it converts the SACD layer but imho you are worrying too much. In simple terms you will probably not beat the stereo sound quality of this player without spending serious cash on a newer digital player-easily 3-4 times the cost of what you just paid. I gave up the flexibility of an Oppo 105 for this player because the stereo replay on CD and SACD is so good.

If you want a player to spin discs and enjoy then you have it. If you want better be prepared to spend cash, lots of it and if you got that player for less than $2K you've got a real bargain there-enjoy what you have.

19. AxiomAcoustics

BSC has some good points, but I am slightly confused by the question so will make an assumption that you are using the analog outputs correct? Your unit is reading the DSD layer, sending it to the DAC, which is then converting the DSD signal to be output as analog. So, your concerns are moot and you should be getting the full benefit of this great player. However, if you're using the digital output.......hence my confusion. How are you running the Esoteric?

Welcome to the forum!

20. ngc4900

ngc4900 New Member

Thanks for the comments BSC. AA. I am running balanced cables out to my amp.

From the audiogon forum circa 2007:

Q: Does the Esoteric X-03 SE decode SACD in native DSD or does it down-convert to PCM?

A: The X03/SE converts DSD to PCM. The DAC chips used are PCM1704 dac chips, which are PCM only DAC chips. However, the P03/D03 combo (for example) use the Analog Devices AD1955 DAC chips and circuitry which enable direct native DSD decoding.

A: Thanks. That's what I thought. I looked at the PCM1704 data sheet and could not find any reference to SACD or DSD.

21. ngc4900

ngc4900 New Member

As a newbie, I am not sure what the above means, but I am assuming there is a difference between DSD -> PCM and DSD direct native. I also looked up the DAC chip in the unit and it does not mention DSD:

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1704

I agree with BSC, native DSD or no native DSD, the unit's SQ is wonderful.

PS. Thanks for the welcome. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.