Essential & Non-Essential Zappa

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I think people are turned off by Tommy Mars' singing as it's kind of...uh...fruity, to put it nicely. I don't mind it, but I can see how it would be fiercely annoying to people.

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Since I hate the lyrics, I actually prefer the gibberish version from the 31st (on the CD).

3. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

:edthumbs:

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Just about anything, but Thing Fish.

Pete Puma likes this.
  5. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I think Goblin Girl would win that award.

6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I thought it would be difficult to get into Zappa at first. What I heard seemed really out there.

Then my local record shop guy suggested I try One Size Fits All and it was like a perfect blend for me. The Sofa tracks are phenomenal. Apostrophe was also accesible.

Any suggestions for how to continue with his albums? I heard Hot Rats once and found parts good but the rest a little too over the top. Ill revisit it again later since 1 listen isnt enough naturally ;^)

tvstrategies and Cheevyjames like this.
  7. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

If you like those two , then Over-nite sensation is a must

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Agreed. Then Joe's Garage and Sheik Yerbouti.

9. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Also Roxy & Elsewhere pairs well with Overnite, Apostrophe and One Size. These should give you sufficient basis to begin coloring outside the lines, starting with The Grand Wazoo (the cover alone should convince you).

Later, when you are ready for varsity-level Zappa, buy Meat Light, which may survive into the ages. It goes with Burnt Weeny Sandwich and Weasels Ripped My Flesh. As with Shakespeare, where you start with Julius Caesar and eventually get to the Henrys.

Imagine going through high school with this music, as we did!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Echoes Myron likes this.
  10. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I think my local dealer played half of that one for me, Ill listen to it next ;^)

11. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I'm new to "diving into zappa " but so far my favorite tracks are on the grand wazoo album and one size fits all. Also watermelon in the easter hay is phenomenal instrumental. You have to search but zappa has some top tier songs and instrumentals that make you understand why his music is still so admired. What might not be instantly gratifying can often blossom into something you will want to revisit to soak it all in. Repeated listens reap rewards.
    I am often not a fan of the vocals but one size fits all has great inventive singing over the amazing musicianship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.