Essential & Non-Essential Zappa

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Absolutely, peak era Zappa for me. I would also mention the Wazoo set here.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

All Wazoo, bloated or atrophied editions, should be considered as their own little misadventure, IMHO. And I love that the shows are getting put out there finally. I wonder if Frankie only gave us a smattering because by the time he was preparing those excerpts, he was actually more excited about the Band aBout to Be...?

jsayers likes this.
  3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

I've just ordered the Lumpy Money Project Object.

lschwart, dlokazip, Blue Note and 2 others like this.
  4. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Heavy ****
    An arrow pointing to the future

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Just remember...... Disc 2 was Frank's choice.....someone talked him out of actually releasing the 'new drum & bass' "Lumpy Gravy"!

dlokazip and Siegmund like this.
  6. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Anyone else wish Zappa would have done a lot more ambient music? I do.

In case you're wondering what I'm talking about, check this out:

"Nap Time"

7. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

I like Were Only n it for the Money and Hot Rats, but really dislike most of the cornball jokey stuff, What have I missed ?

8. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...a ton! :D

But on a serious note, if you liked those two try Absolutely Free, Waka/Jawaka and Grand Wazoo.

There really is a ton more, but I would start with those.

9. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

So was I for awhile I couldn't stand it for the life of me. Then one day I went back for a listen to his jokey material and fell in love, even though it took some time.

EDIT: What i did was basically listen to one album at a time consecutively and went along with it. It's good way to start your morning with an upbeat positive vibe. Frank does that.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'd recommend his more instrumentally focused releases from the late 60s and early 70s, including Uncle Meat, Burnt Weany Sandwich, Waka/Jawaka, The Grand Wazoo, etc. Also his live output is phenomenal, particularly circa '73-'74. Live archival sets like Imaginary Diseases, Wazoo and Little Dots are mainly vocal free.

11. He could still find something to enjoy in Frank’s more lyrical works like Apostrophe.

12. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

There are also plenty of people who only like the original Mothers. There are probably even people who only like the Flo & Eddie albums.

13. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

If its hard for you to listen to, why bother? Lots of great music to listen to and only so much time.

jsayers likes this.
  14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It was being talked up and I only listened to it once when it came out. I didn’t remember why I didn’t like it. The music is great.

15. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

I've got to say, his discography is a total minefield for any kind of neophyte. You can't just plunge in there, you have to do your research beforehand! And then, just as you think you've got it sussed, you discover you've missed out a detail. Apparently, the 2012 Ruben & The Jets remaster features the 80s remix and if you want the original '68 version, Greasy Love Songs is the way to go.....

16. Sometimes it pays; see post #184. And some people have more time than other...

17. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

For anybody in the USA with a library card, there is an online library HOOPLA with about 100 Zappa albums , you can 'borrow' up to eight titles a month

mmars982 and jsayers like this.
  18. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

It took me about 15 albums to realize I am just lukewarm on Guided by voices, 3 albums a year for 30 years, and most of them have one good song on them

19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Lumpy Gravy
    Uncle Meat
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    Waka Jawaka
    The Grand Wazoo
    Road Tapes #2
    Sleep Dirt (original mix)

Instant Dharma likes this.
  20. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This is a great suggestion. They have even the harder to find releases, and I think some titles that may even not be available on Spotify (last I checked anyway, which may have changed).

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 likes this.
  21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Sometime around a year ago almost all of the titles previously available only through zappa.com went on Spotify (in the U.S. - I understand some of them were already there in Europe). The main notable absences I remember are Trance Fusion and (of course) 200 Motels.

mmars982 likes this.
  22. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

I am changing my mind, I ordered Were only in for the money and lumpy gravy and that's not the one I remember liking, I will check those out tho

23. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Don't give up on the funny stuff

Baby Take Your Teeth Out

Truck Driver Divorce

We're Turning Again

Pick Me I'm Clean

Gobblin Girl (three different songs jammed together for the outro....brilliant!)

......all pretty straight and clean without flo + eddy
    and still hilarious!

24. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

I agree with you.
    That's why, while you don't have to take this seriously, @lukpac does.
    Anyone hoping to learn how to navigate would be smart to read everything here:2012: What We Knew and When We Knew It

And then keep reading more.

Siegmund likes this.
  25. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Try Robert Jurjendal from Estonia.
    Robert Jürjendal - Robert Jürjendal

eeglug likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.