Essential & Non-Essential Zappa

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Studio Tan
    Uncle Meat
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    One Size Fits All

2. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

"Cruisin' With Ruben & The Jets" is cornball and jokey, but also sweet and heartfelt unlike Zappa's other attempts at satire.

ParloFax and Jazzmonkie like this.
  3. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I too think STUDIO TAN is essential!

Greggary Peccary is a studio masterpiece!
    One of his most brilliant pieces IMO

4. LuxInt

LuxInt Forum Resident

If I’m a Zappa virgin and want to explore, am I better off with the project/objects versions - specifically, MOFO 2 disc, Lumpy Gravy 3 disc, Meat Light 3 disc, Crux of the Biscuit, and Greasey love songs - or the “standard” album (cd) versions? Reading though this thread I think I’m getting that the project/objects are reworked versions of the originals along with outtakes, etc?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The stand alone versions of Freak Out and Uncle Meat are okay if you're not obsessive about sound quality. MOFO and Meat Light have better sounding and all original mix versions of those albums, along with outtakes.

The stand alone versions of We're Only In It For The Money and Lumpy Gravy are good. Lumpy Money has various alternate mixes.

The stand alone version of Ruben & The Jets is the controversial remix with 80's bass and drums tracks. Greasey Love Songs is the original mix.

The stand alone Apostrophe is good. Crux Of The Biscuit is alternate mixes, live material and outtakes, good stuff, but probably best left until after you are familiar with the original release.

6. A little thread detour...

Zappa and Nektar: Herb Coen, with prodding from Frank, tried to sign Nektar to their newly created DiscReet Records in '73 as Nektar had supported Frank on several dates during his European tour and Frank thought enough of them to try and get them to sign up on the label and open for him for his upcoming US dates. The business deal never materialized and I don't know whether Nektar ever opened for Frank again. I do know that Frank's music inspired Nektar's first use of brass and was an influence in their song Nelly The Elephant:

7. WonkyWilly

Most of the Project/Objects include the original albums. The regular CD's are usually the "reworked" ones.

8. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

All of that material is on Läther, too.

But, yeah. You need to have one or the other.

You have to have "Greggary Peccary". You have to have "Revised Music". "RDNZL" should go without saying.

Okay, "Lemme Take You To The Beach" may not be essential, but it's still a lot of fun.

Classic stuff.

9. WonkyWilly

"Studio Tan" was actually the original follow-up to "One Size Fits All", but with "200 Years Old" in place of "Lemme Take You To The Beach". Why it took so long to come out is a mystery to me. It's a classic!

ParloFax likes this.
  10. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Both Meat Light and Greasy Love Songs are at about $10 each. Grab them while you can.

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Although the test pressing that exists also has "Regyptian Strut" in place of "RDNZL."

ParloFax and WonkyWilly like this.
  12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Unfortunately, Magdalena has a great melody and Steve Vai playing along with Zappa's sing-song in Jazz Discharge is mind blowing.

Plus, Brown Shoes is really almost as objectionable, lyrically, especially with the little girl's voice dubbed in.

vince likes this.
  13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

But his "singing" on that song is possibly the most annoying thing he ever recorded.

Rfreeman likes this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It is, but I dig it because
    A. To me it is musically way above the other too.
    B. Lyrically I think it has some worthwhile content mixed in with the gross. Often listened to it on my way to job interviews :)

Dillydipper and seed_drill like this.
  15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I always liked Jazz Discharge. Sort of like an Ornette Coleman solo with a lyric set to it about groupies.

16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Roy Estrada's singing that is. I love the vocals and the melody on that tune. And Arthur Barrow's bass part wouldn't be anything like it is without the vocals/vocal melody being in that vein.

PIGGIES likes this.
  17. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Nice FZ Guitar solo too!

18. Essential is a hard to define for Zappa because his music crossed several genres that are not always mutually compatible. Someone who loves Frank's symphonic work may have no use For One Size Fits All, and vice-versa.

I have not really gotten into any of his synclavier work to date (exception: G-Spot Tornado), his early pre-Uncle Meat Mothers recordings hold little interest for me at this time, beyond some of the songs he tended to feature in his live shows in 68-69. The Flo and Eddy stuff has some great moments (most of Chunga and select live cuts), but much of it I find unfunny and just impossible to listen to. I like most of his output from '72-80 and most of my "essential" choices would be bunched in that narrow period of time.

Tristero likes this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

vince likes this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

If I find out he's doing THIS, during that 'virtual Zappa' show.....
    I'm sorry, I'M GOING!!!!!

21. Terrapin Station

I haven't heard Lumpy Money a ton, and I kind of forgot about the 1984 UMRK remix. It just came up for me on shuffle now, and holy crap do I love the vocal overdubs at the start! I wish that had been on the standard version of Lumpy Gravy.

22. I thought he was talking about Zappa's singing on Drowning Witch? (Since this was the last item mentioned in the sentence)

But I agree with you about ICFN. An amazing track, and Estrada's weird singing fits in perfectly.

23. Terrapin Station

Maybe . . . I figured since I was campaigning for "I Come from Nowhere" he was talking about that. Also, relative to Zappa's output, the singing on that tune is a lot more unusual and up front about it than the singing on the title track.

24. Terrapin Station

Speaking of unusual vocal versions of tunes (I mentioned the vocal version of "Duodenum"/the Lumpy Gravy "theme" above), does anyone else love the (Tommy Mars) vocal version of "Envelopes" as much as I do?

25. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I hate them. The worst thing on Halloween 77 IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.