Essential POCO albums ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Malc, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malc

Malc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was going through my Poco collection today, and whilst I have every damn album they released it occurred to me that, when the fancy takes me, I only ever stick to listening to the same 5 or 6 albums, tine and time again. In fact, I probably play the Cotton-led Illinois Speed Press albums more than the early Poco releases.
    OK, there's always the occasional flight elsewhere, Under The Gun maybe, but I always come back to these ones...

1 Indian Summer
    2 Head Over Heels
    3 Rose Of Cimarron
    4 Legend
    5 A Good Feelin' To Know
    6 Blue & Grey

... also have a fondness for the most recent offering, All Fired Up, plus the Live and Last Roundup releases, but how does everyone else rate the studio albums ?

2. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

I like only the first album, Pickin' Up The Pieces, which I consider in the top three Country-Rock albums.

3. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

There's a LONG thread on this forum about peoples favorite Poco albums. Most prefer the early stuff....Im in the minority as I like the stuff from Rose of Cimarron and everything afterward.

billnunan and pdenny like this.
  4. Malc

Malc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ha ! Did a search beforehand but must have somehow missed that earlier thread ...

5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Everything up to and including Crazy Eyes.

6. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

from the inside is my fav. but have everything and love them

waterface, James Glennon and kBear like this.
  7. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

My essential ones are:

Deliverin'
    Crazy Eyes
    Rose of Cimarron

rockclassics likes this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

all fired up is darn good for sure. (love 'neil young') and their cover of 'magnolia' on crazy eyes is the definitive version for me, even better than lucinda williams' version.

9. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Don't forget Legacy!

10. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

I have all of them and like all of them.

At this moment, my favorites are:

1. 2nd Album
    2. A Good Feelin' to Know
    3. Cantamos
    4. Legend
    5. Ghost Town

Ask me tomorrow, and I'll probably give you a different answer.

plentyofjamjars67 likes this.
  11. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

There are high points throughout their catalogue, but to me the run from "From the Inside" through to "Cantamos" is extremely solid.

12. papatwo

papatwo Abiding Member

Just listened to Cantamos the other day. This has some excellent songs like "Sagebrush Serenade" , "High & Dry", and "Bitter Blue". Some of Poco's best stuff, IMHO.

pool_of_tears and ssmith3046 like this.
  13. 905

905 Senior Member

Through Cantamos.
    But I have and appreciate them all through Legend.
    I then jump to Legacy, which may not be for everyone with it's production, but there are some catchy songs and it has Mr. Furay.

14. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

My favorites are Head Over Heels, Cantamos, From The Inside, and Pickin' Up The Pieces. From The Inside was poorly reviewed and I had never heard it, but I picked up the Iconoclassic CD a while back, and I think it's as good as any of their albums. Maybe the remastering by Vic Anesini breathed some life into it, I don't know. The Forgotten Trail is an excellent comp of the early years.

15. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Pickin' up the pieces.

16. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Respectfully, I would actually like too. This is no knock on your preference. I pulled this out just the other day and it just sounded dated. I mean like Richard Marx production related. Some of these songs were. I didn't remember that and it sounds like it. There was another person who also did production David Cole. This just feels contrived and very slick. The only two good songs are the first and the last. Where It All Began and Follow Your Dreams. If you just look at who plays on this you would immediately consider it wonderful. I do not. I actually was pretty disgusted with most of it.

17. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

POCO s/t orange grove album
    From The Inside
    Good Feelin' ...
    Deliverin'
    Crazy Eyes

18. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

i initially was drawn to deliverin' thru A Good Feeling To Know. As the years have passed I find the sound on AGFTK to be horrible. I enjoy Crazy a Eyes more now and The Blue & The Gray has some good songs and good idea but ran short of concept songs. After hearing Running a Horse I gave up on them

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

You can't even tell who plays on it-- It was reported at the time that George Grantham actually didn't do the drums. Despite a few decent songs it's a terrible record, basically Richard Marx's idea of what Poco should have sounded like.

Hell on Reels and Todd W. like this.
  20. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I love Legend and Indian Summer.

Blue Cactus and Jeff Minn like this.
  21. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

At some point I picked up a promo copy of From The Inside for $3 ... finally listened to it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Made me consider hunting down the first two.

22. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Cantamos. Everything a country rock album should be

pool_of_tears, adad, clhboa and 3 others like this.
  23. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I have all their albums as well and for some strange reason, their most commercially successful album Legend doesn't appeal to me, in that it is the least played of them all!

Deliverin'
    From The Inside
    Crazy Eyes
    Cantamos
    Rose of Cimarron

JG

CCrider92 likes this.
  24. ace music man

ace music man Forum Resident

25. ace music man

ace music man Forum Resident

I was the first kid on my block with PUTP in the summer of '69........it blew me away, and I played it to death.
    A little tired of it now..........I now prefer the Cotton years over the Messina period....... From The Inside and Legend are now my favorites.
    (greatest Poco song: Rose of Cimarron; honorable mention -- Heart of the Night). Comments?

Keith todaro, Rickchick and Big Train like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.