Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tyler, Mar 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

Is anybody else seeing this movie over the weekend? From the trailer it looks like a great flick, cool soundtrack too. I'm going to catch this movie sometime this weekend.

2. RDK

RDK Active Member

It's a really neat film. I didn't love it like some do, but it's very impressive. Perhaps Jim Carrey's best performance ever (!). It's complexly structured and somewhat hard to follow (as should be expected from the filmmakers), but it's stunningly inventive and it will make you think about it long after the film is over.

One word of warning though: the trailer in some ways suggests a different tone/vibe than what the film actually delivers. There's some good music in the film - Jon Brion did the score - but "Mr. Blue Sky" is *not* in the movie.

3. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

I'm catching it tonight and amy really excited. So far I've only read one review which was over at The Slate and it was very positive. I'll be sure to post after seeing the movie.

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

EW gives it an A.

My wife wants to see it (big Jim Carrey fan) as do I.

Looks like my cup of tea. After zombie movies that is.:D

5. ratskrad

ratskrad Senior Member

Went and saw it today. Very surreal from finish to finish. Focus Features has been putting out some really good movies lately. I liked it, quite the love story. Not going to say any more until more have had a chance to see it.

6. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

Sweet god. This movie is fricking amazing.

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Excellent. Stunningly original shots. I was giggling a times because of the shots and effects. Really tremendous effort.

Got the soundtrack today. I love Jon Brion.

--- When we were walking out I heard a guy make the comment "Thank God that's over. I feel like I've been released." I guess he didn't find it as interesting as I did.

8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I saw it last night. While I was impressed with the idea and the execution, it was one of those movies I didn't "connect" with. For most of the time I felt like I was watching an exercise in style and analyzing it, rather than losing myself in the plot and characters. To each his own.

John K.

9. Tyler

My exact thoughts when I left the theater this afternoon. Easily the best movie Jim Carrey has ever made. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this movie a solid 9. :edthumbs:

10. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Great film and easily my favorite Jim Carrey flick!

What was that Beck tune?

11. Tyler

The Beck song is a cover, sorry I don't remember the name of the original artist. The song is called "Everybody's gotta learn sometimes". Beck's new version was produced by Jon Brion. The soundtrack is worth picking up, I bought it at tower records for twelve bucks!

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Got it too. I love how eclectic Jon's soundtracks always are, yet they have a coherence that's hard to describe. Brilliant work though. Always interesting chords, tones and arrangements.

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I stayed around to see who did all that great music in the movie. Boy, was I not surprised to see Jon's name there.

As for the Beck tune, there's a chord in the turn around after the choruses (a 5# for all you musicians. Think Kashmir.) It just kills me. Great stuff.

14. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I can't wait to see it!! I'm a huge Charlie Kaufman fan.

15. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I usually hate Jim Carrey (and I mean hate). I saw the film because I love Charlie Kaufman (and I mean love).

I thought Carrey was amazing (and I mean amazing). I hope he keeps doing roles where he can be dramatic. I know that it won't be his mainstay (although he can afford never to another "Jim Carrey movie"), but I will see anything he does where he's as good as this. I like it when someone surprises you like that.

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime" was a modest stateside hit in 1980 for British pop group The Korgis.

Regards,

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I caught this last night, and it was amazing. Quite possibly Jim Carrey's finest performance, and defintely even better than Charlie Kaufman's previous works.

Everybody who wants to catch the movie on the big screen, I urge you to go soon. It's not doing very well in terms of ticket sales, and probably will vanish from screens prematurely as a result. But hopefully word-of-mouth will give box office numbers the boost they deserve.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

sadly, i cannot watch a movie with jim carrey in it, and my wife and i love movies. he just does nothing for me whatsoever, actually ruins the movie for me. i don't want it to be that way, it just happens.

i am pretty much the same way with adam sandler.

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

It seems to be in somewhat "limited" release, like half of the usual screens for a major studio film.
    It's not showing here yet despite having plenty of screens in town. :shake: I'm really itching to see this movie.

Dan C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.