Europen Audio Team Phono Preamps,anyone heard one ??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jimbo912, May 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just wondering if anyone has heard or owns an EAT phono preamp. They get great reviews from the few that are out there.

2. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Nope not me.... but may purchase one in the near future. Will seek to hear one.

3. iluzun

iluzun Forum Resident

I own the EAT Petite which I run with a Bob’s Sky SUT, VPI Traveler Ii, Dynavector 20xL. I run a pr. of Bugle Boys 12ax7 & Audio Envy interconnects.
    Very happy with the sound. With or without the SUT it’s a nice performer. The adjustability is top notch and encourages one to experiment by ear. I haven’t played with any other carts, as I am pleased with the sound. It’s tight, focused, dynamic, expressive, real sounding. I wouldn’t get rid of it...

4. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

You can tell the owner & designer is female looks very cool like a mini nagra open reel
    .[​IMG]

.[​IMG]
    Eau de Parfum – Homme
    Stylus is a woody, mineralic & aromatic fragrance for men. Top notes are pink pepper, Grapefruit and water. Middle notes are magnolia, cedar wood and Jasmine. Base notes are amber, moss and vetyver. This Special fragrance is full of dynamic and power.
    .[​IMG]

5. Jimbo912

Thanks for the reply Iluzim.I have a VPI Classic with a Benz-Micro cart,PrimaLuna pre,a Mac and or Parasound power amps. I'm using a PS Audio phono preamp and I'm hoping for an upgrade with the EAT petite.

6. iluzun

iluzun Forum Resident

Jimbo, I would guess the tube phono to the tube pre will get a purer ‘tube’ sound from ss amps. The Classic/Benz combo sounds nice. The adjustability of the Petite is very good and the two AX’s will give a realistic tonal balance with plenty of detail. I run mine into a Benchmark Dac3, pre out balanced to a Yamaha A-S2000 or single ended to a Mystere PA40. Access to tube rolling is a pain with its silly protectors, but the on the fly cartridge adjustability is hands down the best. It’s a good sounding product you can grow with...

Jimbo912 and Davey like this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

The Petit does seem like a pretty nice unit, hybrid design like most MC capable tube preamps that don't use transformers, in this case, all discrete with a parallel JFET input followed by the 12AX7 triode stages. Lots of adjustability in gain, capacitance and resistance. As you probably know, it got a very good review at HiFi News last year too, good sound and measurements.

Jimbo912 likes this.
  8. Jimbo912

The Mac is the MC275 ,which is also tube. Thanks again for your input. Also ,I really like the PrimaLuna preamp,which was my latest upgrade.

9. Davey

Also got best phonostage of the year for 2019 at Hi-Fi World in their Jan 2020 issue, though I haven't seen the full list of what they reviewed last year to know what was in the competition... but seems like a nice acknowledgement regardless ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jimbo912 and bluemooze like this.
  10. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Haven’t heard any of their preamps but I have their C sharp turntable and it is awesome.

11. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

From what I understand from a conversation I read online....many of the same engineers who work on the Pro-Ject designs are involved in many of the EAT designs as well. And she has the final say.

12. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I was recently told that EAT was set-up by Heinz Lichtenegger (the guy that founded Pro-ject) as a company for his glamorous wife to run and that their products are basically Pro-ject with a bigger markup.

It may sound like the kind of thing said by 'bloke down the pub' but I visited their site recently, saw the 'By Jozefina' section containing scented candles, fragrances and jewellery and I'm thinking this may be absolutely true :laugh:

13. StratDoc

StratDoc Sapien

I have an EAT e-glo petite with a VPI turntable and Sumiko blackbird LO cartridge. Really nice phono pre.

14. Davey

Silly story, you should check out her tube manufacturing history, first working with Alesa Vaic in the 90s on the VAIC tubes, and then establishing EAT and making some of the best tubes in the world, all prior to meeting her husband. The Pro-Ject connection did allow her to expand into turntables too, but I think it is very much her own operation.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    bever70 likes this.
  15. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

What's with the scented candles, perfume and jewellery, though? Is it not a bit odd to see those things for sale on the site of an audio manufacturer?

16. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I was merely passing on what I'd been told...

17. Davey

Yea, I deleted my comment before you responded, sorry, didn't want to go off on this tangent.

18. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Whilst on the subject of E.A.T., Pro-ject and phono stages, I wonder if anyone has had a chance to compare the latest Pro-ject flagship (the Phono Box RS2) with the equivalently priced E.A.T. E-Glo Petit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.