Eurythmics 2018 Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Announced on Facebook today...

Link to announcement and video:
    Eurythmics

D-rock likes this.
  2. ad180

And I finally bought EU copies of their records when I was in England this summer! Those original issues sound fantastic. Curious what they'll use for masters and who is cutting them...

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

They’ll be hard pressed to better those original LPs... Or CDs, for that matter.

4. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

And the original vinyl and early CDs are extremely easy to find, and usually at very low prices. I see the Japan for US RCA CDs for Sweet Dreams, Touch, Be Yourself Tonight and Revenge all the time for anywhere from $2.00-$8.00

Derek Slazenger and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Savage is easy too, though it sounds less great being nearly an hour long.

Disppointed that these aren't double LP's with bonus material, there's plenty out there.

sunspot42 and DesertHermit like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Really still hoping and holding out for a Super Deluxe CD edition of Eurythmics '1984 (For the Love of Big Brother)' with the original Eurythmics score, alternate and unreleased tracks.

As well as an expanded deluxe version of Annie Lennox's 'Diva'.

Dennis Metz and DesertHermit like this.
  7. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Except for Savage...I bought the LP on release in 1987 and it always sounded tinny and thin to me and still does. Then I bought a used US pressing and it was just as bad. The rest of th original LPs are wonderful though so I will probably pick up Savage and Peace from these reissues.

8. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Why? The first 2 proper and 1984 OST are fab sounding and still widely avail in the used bins.

9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The originals are great, plentiful and cheap. But nice to see them coming out again, especially the early ones, and a nicely timed announcement with the Eurythmics nominated for the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. No re-release though for the 1984 soundtrack, which Dave Stewart apparently remains fond of. Savage is still the strongest album for me.

D-rock and DesertHermit like this.
  10. DesertHermit

Me too. Savage has long been my favourite, closely followed by Sweet Dreams.

11. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Annie had started she's very fond of it too. So more reason for a "CD" Super Deluxe Edition of 1984 with the original Eurythmics score, unreleased or alternate tracks and the movie on Blu-ray with the Eurythmics score. ;)

12. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Most of what I wanted to say has been said....but yes, aside from Peace, most of their stuff is SO readily available that this is kinda confusing. There's about twenty acts from the era I could pick off the top of my head that needed a repress before the Eurythmics catalog did!

That being said, I will probably pick up a few of them.

And Annie's solo stuff could really use a repress, too. Diva is nearly impossible to find.

DHamilton and Robert C like this.
  13. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I don't think it's a case of them not being proud of this work, but there was a whole controversy about it and the use of it for the film vs the use of a score that had also been written. If Annie is against a repress, I have to assume the whole episode is still unpleasant for her. Either that, or there are legal or rights restrictions around it.

D-rock likes this.
  14. ad180

I see that Annie’s Diva and Medusa will be out next month. I haven’t found any mastering/cutting info, but I preordered Diva from Amazon.

WeepingWall and Groovy like this.
  15. stem

stem Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up.
    Interestingly both are listed as double albums.
    Having said that, the Amazon descriptions are not to be trusted in that respect.

ad180 likes this.
  16. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

RSD '18 Special Release: Eurythmics - 1984 (For The Love of Big Brother)

D-rock likes this.
  17. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

These are out soon, it’ll be interesting to see reports on how they sound as (like most people mentioned already) these will cost £20 each but you can pick up the originals easily for under £5 each

18. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Presumably the remasters will be digital transfers, does anyone know if all the original albums were also done digitally?

19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Did you manage to dig up any more info on the masters for these reissues?

20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I only have two old ones on LP-
    Sweet Dreams, 1983 (analog)
    We Too Are One, 1989 (digital)
    If I seem em on the format at thrifts for dirt cheap I grab em, otherwise i'm happy with the old compact discs :)
    On Amazon US these are pushing 30 bucks for the July release. No way i'm spending that kind of money on a run of the mill re-master/issue just to have it on wax.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  21. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I just picked up Revenge, Savage and We Two Are One, £10 for all three on NM vinyl from Discogs to upgrade my old copies. I’m contemplating Be Yourself Tonight as reissue as my old copy has a lot of surface noise but might just go the discogs route

c-eling likes this.
  22. ad180

Unfortunately I have not.

23. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve never heard Peace, just the 2 singles at the time and not since, and found them a but dreary. Is the whole album like that or do they vary the tempo on other tracks? I really liked I’ve Got a Life on the greatest hits they brought out after.

24. DesertHermit

Peace grew on me but in my opinion it’s their weakest album. There are some good tracks but not enough to warrant an entire album. It would perhaps have made a better EP or a much shorter album. I rarely play it these days. The tour however was fantastic!

sunspot42 and Porkpie like this.
  25. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.