Eurythmics 2018 Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I don't have the original RCA CDs for this run to compare, sorry, before this reissue campaign the only Eurythmics I had was an old RCA Sweet Dreams CD (PCD14681) and the japanese pressing of the 1991 Greatest Hits collection. I think the remasters sound great, but without anything to compare, it's difficult to say more.

c-eling likes this.
  2. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I haven't played my vinyl of Savage yet. It's the only new one I've purchased so far because I already have decent older vinyl of Be Yourself Tonight and Revenge. I've been comparing the 24 bit wav downloads that came with the LP to my RCA cd using headphones this morning. They both sound good to me, but I would say the new downloads are a little louder and brighter and that I overall prefer the cd for digital listening. I hope to try the record soon.

c-eling likes this.
  3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Interesting. Thanks for that feedback.

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

What's with all these modern remastering jobs and the brightness associated with them? Geesh...
    Are they not using Izotope's MBIT+? :laugh:

5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Someone clearly dropped the ball on the download front. Why on earth would a label simultaneously issue two different high-res downloads? Dumb!

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

To force you to buy the more expensive vinyl if you didn't want crap?

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Somehow I doubt that's the reason.

marcb likes this.
  8. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

Indeed, that is really strange. I mean, why do they even bother creating two different digital masters (one compressed, one nice)?

Maybe we should ask Miles Showell on Twitter, he did work on the remasters, right?

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s not common, but it’s not THAT unusual either. It’s not much extra work really. You have an uncompressed master and you create a compressed digital production master.

Vandenville likes this.
  10. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

These new vinyl remasters are on sale at HMV (UK) when bought as a combination-- 3 for £50 or something like that. I'm contemplating Be Yourself Tonight and Revenge; has anyone heard these new pressings?

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The new vinyl reissues are around £19 on Amazon UK. Vinyl cheaper on this side of the atlantic is a refreshing change when we often pay double the US price (even EU pressings).

I don't have original vinyl to compare. Sound is variable but generally pretty good. Half speed masters by Miles so ultimately a digital source. Can't say if these were flat transfers.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    LoveYourLife likes this.
  12. frankie75

frankie75 Active Member

I bought all the remasters available yet and wonder why the quality of the Revenge cover is so poor compared to the original.
    Here a comparison with the CD cover:

[​IMG]

Do your covers look alike ?

Porkpie likes this.
  13. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

That album cover needs remastering.

14. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

I bought 'Sweet Dreams' and then 'Savage', I had to send both back due to multiple pressing issues.

Side B of 'Sweet Dreams' was a mess of pops and clicks while side A of 'Savage' had a scratch running through almost the whole side. The replacements are better but still have more noise than I would like / expect.

To me, the music does sound a lot better than the 2005 remastered CDs though and, after editing out the pops and clicks for a digital copy, I'm very happy with the overall sound.

Vandenville likes this.
  15. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Both In the Garden and Touch can be had for just under $20 through Import CD's EBay store with free shipping. Extra 20 percent off if you spend $60 also.

16. hooked

hooked Well-Known Member

It's so annoying they wouldn't release the new 1984 remaster digitally so we can sample it at least.. There are not even DR logs!
    I wonder if what @Scott Davis said about the new remaster was true.

Also not happy about vinyl purchases receiving better files than HDTracks.

Vandenville, D-rock and sunspot42 like this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Meh, sticking with the old Japan for US 1984, it's already been payed for :winkgrin:
    Analyzed: Eurythmics / 1984 (For The Love of Big Brother)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR16 -1.86 dB -20.57 dB 3:29 01-I Did It Just The Same
    DR11 -2.54 dB -16.89 dB 3:59 02-Sexcrime (Nineteen Eighty-Four)
    DR13 -2.56 dB -17.67 dB 5:06 03-For The Love of Big Brother
    DR9 -10.21 dB -24.34 dB 1:22 04-Winston's Diary
    DR12 -6.51 dB -20.34 dB 6:14 05-Greetings From A Dead Man
    DR12 -8.01 dB -24.14 dB 6:41 06-Julia
    DR12 -2.41 dB -17.11 dB 4:40 07-Doubleplusgood
    DR11 -3.62 dB -17.66 dB 3:48 08-Ministry Of Love
    DR11 -1.79 dB -16.72 dB 3:50 09-Room 101

18. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

How does the new vinyl remaster of Savage compare to an original pressing?

19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I find no reason to pick these up.
    Now if Steve were to remaster and release the Eurythmics catalog with even more alternate versions, unreleased and live tracks on CD ... than I'd be very excited. Especially if 1984 was included with the original score along with the original album plus alternates and unreleased material!

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

From their Facebook page today - "Digitally restored to HD 1080p from the original film reels watch ‘You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart’ now: smartURL "

I.e., they've remastered one of the Savage music videos. I compared them in detail to be sure that it was true that this was rescanned/remade from the original film elements. (Their previous remastered video, Sweet Dreams, was only a very professionally done upscale from the video master.)

And it is true! There is superior detail (look at those wedding rings!). And you can tell that they completely rebuilt this music video from the original film elements by looking closely at this scene. I made these screenshots just now. Notice that they used a slightly different take of the housewife character on the left. Her fingers grasping the telephone are in a different position. But that's not a complaint - it is a lot of work to remake a music video that was made 30 years ago, so bravo for doing it! Amazing that the film elements even still existed!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  21. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

Looks promising - Savage has been crying out for a DVD release for years. Here's hoping..

sunspot42 and tin ears like this.
  22. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I've got an Italian CD digipack of it from years ago, on which they deleted the mole from Annie's neck on the assumption it was debris on the artwork. Here it is: image

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    D-rock likes this.
  23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I wonder if they are doing these video updates as part of a greatest hits/compilation Bluray or for each specific album. How many video albums did they put out in the 80s?

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I'd also love to see the Diva Video Album and Annie - Live in Central Park from Medusa redone for bluray.

sunspot42 likes this.
  25. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

They did quite a lot of video in the 1980s , plus lots of tv shows
    I wonder if they ever do a R.E.M. type of live or tv and video compilation

D-rock and sunspot42 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.