Ever cry at a concert?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Did the tune Trick of the Tail ever reduce you to a pool of tears?

2. br6388

br6388 Forum Resident

I didn't cry but my hands were shaking uncontrollably when McCartney hit the stage in 76. I was actually seeing a Beatle! Needless to say none of my pictures came out. :shake:

Fullbug likes this.
  3. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

All the time. I did on Saturday during "Heart of Gold". Not even sure why.

Clanceman likes this.
  4. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Geoff, what band was it?

5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

At a Danzig concert in '95 I ventured into the pit and lasted about 10 seconds before getting punched square in the face. I teared up a little.

6. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I had tickets to see Morphine at a festival in Cape Cod, but before the show happened, Mark Sandman died. They performed a tribute show under the name Moveable Bubble (I believe) instead, with innumerable guests, most of which cried onstage at one point or another . . . it was very tender and bittersweet - I'll never forget seeing the tears rolling down sax player Dana Colley's face from underneath his wraparound sunglasses. I shed a few tears of my own that day.

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Nice one. I didn't see that coming.

To answer...no, but Squonk did ;)

8. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

90 seconds!!, very restrained for a Yorkshireman!!

Cheap shot, sorry, but hopefully can get away with it, as my late father was a "Dalesman":righton:

Fullbug and Andy Smith like this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

D'oh! Senior moment a couple decades early.

10. Lilainjil

Lilainjil Forum Resident

Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings, 2001. My father had passed away a week or so earlier and when she sang Orphan Girl I completely lost it.
    I'm not normally emotionally demonstrative... took me completely by surprise.

11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

It was August 21, 2004 at the Rush 30th Anniversary tour, and it was the first time I ever saw them live. I was so excited to see them, I had great seats right beside the stage and I think I just got swept up in the emotion of them hitting the stage. They opened with the R30 Overture (Instrumental Medley) and by the time Alex kicked into the riff for The Spirit of Radio, I lost it.

I'm not sure why, like I said I had never experienced this type of emotion at a show before. I think it had a little to do with Neil and everything he's been through. I'm a big reader and have all his books and his book Ghost Rider really struck a nerve with me. To see him back on stage doing what he loves after the very dark place he had to come out of, I just really felt happy for him and just got emotional.

Clanceman likes this.
  12. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

In high school I played JV football. But I was rail thin. The coach decided everybody needed to take weight training class and so I did. But I wasn't lifting very much. So one day the coach made me lift all this weight that was way more than I had done before. He did this in front of all the rest of the team making fun of me along the way and calling me names and so forth. Anyway, being a bad ass, I didn't let him break me and I lifted all the stupid weight he had me lift.

That night I had tickets to see Ratt perform at the Hollywood Sportatorium (with opening act Bon Jovi). I liked Ratt well enough at the time but I was physically exhausted from the ordeal at school. And a bit mentally exhausted at the jerk coach and the goons on my football team.

You had to stand up at the Sportatorium to see anything. In fact most people stood on their chairs. So here I am standing on a chair watching this concert. They played like 5 songs and then went into this incredibly long drum solo section. I mean it must have been 20 minutes. Then a guitar solo. Then another guitar solo. Then another drum solo. It was honestly nearly 45 minutes of no songs at all.

I couldn't take it anymore and I just began sobbing. WHEN ARE THE GOING TO PLAY A FREAKIN SONG?!?!?!

It was awful.

13. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

We like to think we've evolved. We're 'sensitive' now. Apparently.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  14. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Jane Siberry performing "The Taxi Ride", and Pat Metheny performing a solo version of The Beatles' "And I Love Her."

15. hornsz

hornsz Forum Resident

Close on three occasions:

1. Bruce Springsteen played Incident on 57th Street at one of his Christmas shows on piano. I was fortunate to be about 10 people back from the piano.
    2. Page and Plant show at the Palace of Auburn Hills. Intentionally didn't know the set list. Never thought I would see them on stage together. When the chords to Song Remains the Same intro rang out it blew me away.
    3. Bruce Springsteen opening with Tunnel of Love on piano in Grand Rapids. That song holds a special place between the wife and I. We were married the year that the album was released. Lots of toughies on that record.

Adding one more: Kiss at Cobo about 5 years ago. When Paul takes off across the venue on the wire during Love Gun. (Just kidding on this one....:biglaugh:)

16. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Hmmm......

17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Well, I'm 38 so only a few decades away. ;)

18. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

I had to fight the chills and tears when Bruce opened with "We Take Care of Our Own" in San Jose, CA, 2012.

19. ted209

ted209 Forum Resident

I was holding back the tears when I saw the Blue Nile at Somerset House in 2006, particularly at the start of Family Life - a beautiful moment.

I find it strange that some people don't seem to engage with music at this level. But I suppose that's how I feel about art. I've been to some of the greatest galleries in the world and can't say I saw anything that really moved me. Historical artifacts are different for me though, I can find them emotional.

20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

The Who at the Oracle Arena in Oakland in 2013 made me cry on the inside, and not in a good way.

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

At a recent Elton John concert, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Roy Rogers both brought tears to my eyes.

22. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Never thought I would see Ray Davies/The Kinks perform "Shangri-La" live, so when he did it with the full choir a few years ago, it was much more emotional than I expected it to be, even though I knew it was in the setlist.

23. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

Whilst not full blown man tears, seeing Radiohead at the Hammersmith Apollo in 2006 open with a new song called Videotape was a pretty emotional experience.

They then ruined it when they recorded it for In Rainbows. Luckily this soundboard exists from Bonarroo and its close enough to my memory:

24. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

what are ya, a bunch of teenage girls? :unhunh:

25. shabbyroad

shabbyroad Forum Resident

Yes. Twice.

When I was 19 I went to Live Aid and cried during the last half hour. It was overwhelming. Travelling alone in London, at the show, right up at the front of the crowd. Every time I see the DVD it sends shivers.

In 2008 I saw Yazoo in their reunion tour. I went to the show on my own and during the opening song Nobody's Diary I lost it.
    I was suddenly 17 again and a huge fan of Vince & Alison. Surrounded by people who loved their music when as a teenager I felt like I was the only person I this town who "got" them.
    I had waited since 1982 to see them Live and I guess it all caught up on me

sunspot42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.