Ever Discover You Have Duplicate Copies Of The Same Album, Same Pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PacificOceanBlue, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member Thread Starter

This week I discovered I had two exact copies of Stan Getz "Sweet Rain" and two exact copies of Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin "Love Devotion Surrender." This was unintentional. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Gavinyl and muffmasterh like this.
  2. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Yes, a couple of times.

audiomixer likes this.
  3. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I have quite a few. When I am browsing I often come across really clean pressings cheap but can't always remember the exact details of what I have already so I end up with dupes on occasion.

Gavinyl likes this.
  4. RatFarm

RatFarm Forum Resident

Yes, I bought 2 copies of AF Dio Holy Diver. Ended up giving one away at a Xmas exchange.

5. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Yeah, I have a couple. They're now for sale on discogs. Oops.

6. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

A week ago, after reading about it in a discussion, I decided that I just had to have a copy of the out-of-print 2011 deluxe 2CD of Donovan's Sunshine Superman. My only choice for purchase was a seller in Germany. Disc ordered; disc arrived. When I got ready to rip it to my hard drive . . . I ALREADY HAD IT!!! Grrrrrr.

7. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Just a couple I thought I had lost and purchased them again. D'oh!

ytserush and Gavinyl like this.
  8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the time.

My "duplicates" will be made for sale in the town-wide garage sale we are having in 2 weeks.

ytserush likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I collect early pressings of CDs, and I used to forget which ones I have so I'd occasionally buy the same pressing.

I now keep a list of all my early pressings that I can access on my phone, so I don't accidentally buy the same thing again anymore!

Chemguy likes this.
  10. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

The only instance I had was a Moody Blues Greatest Hits CD. Same content, but a different insert.

11. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

yeh I did one on purpose recently to upgrade. Same runout matrix but different sound ! Analog is truly infinite in variation.

12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I've been on a Sun Ra binge over the past year and a half or so (having acquired some dozen Evidence CDs back in '93) and I have two identical copies of Of Mythic Worlds, recorded at the Ann Arbor Jazz Festival in 1978. I have a well-worn and not so trusty as I thought list of the CDs and LPs I have, but so far, this is the only idiot move I've made so far (when it comes to music purchases, to be clear).

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I've done it twice in the last couple of years. "Oh here's an album I need" only to get home and find " Oh here's an album I already own".

14. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Yes, several. Traffic - When The Eagle Flies and Grand Funk 's We're An American Band come to mind, also Procol Harum - A Salty Dog. I'm sure there are some others.

15. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Yes, Aja by Steely Dan.

16. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

Not so much with CDs (and never with LPs, back when I was buying them), but many, many times with DVDs..duplicates, triplicates and even instances of quadruplicates.....Goodwill donations.

17. mcd4959

mcd4959 Head in the Clouds

Too many times to count...

MUST FEED THE ADDICTION!!!!! Then...oh, crap, I have this already...

Gavinyl likes this.
  18. Suspicious Minds

Suspicious Minds Forum Resident

19. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Never done that (yet!) however, sometimes I come across albums I sold/ gave away etc. because I didn't want them anymore and find an urge to buy them again, for old times sake or some such sentimental nostalgic bullcorn and I have to just convince myself I don't need it! Put it down!

20. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Years ago I made a list of all the albums I wanted and would cross them off as I bought them. It turned out to be very handy. I kept it for probably about ten years. Maybe I ought to do that again. Either that or check my discogs account before buying.

21. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

A few, but usually they differ in condition. It happens a lot more often with singles. Sometimes I think I'm buying a variant to compare to my copy and it turns out to be the exact same pressing.

22. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

S**t ... I've nearly purchased the same acetate for the second time...

23. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

Yes, I have probably 100 duplicates. In my defence I would have picked up the duplicate cheaply at a garage sale or the like and just haven't gotten around to comparing copies to keep the best one.

mcd4959 and Gavinyl like this.
  24. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

LPs-wise, no. I have intentionally bought some to compare which is the cleaner copy but they have had differing matrix numbers and if I love the album enough, I'd keep both anyway.

CDs-wise, no more than a few times and they will have been ones that cost only pennies anyway... so they got passed on to a grateful friend.

I've done it a few times with singles that also cost next-to-nothing which has not been a problem because again, I can check which is in best shape.

I have the majority of my collection in Discogs now but still have an excellent memory for what I do and don't have.

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah it's happened to me before. One happened this week. I'm pretty good at remembering what I have and don't have but if I get behind in my cataloging on discogs it can get dicey. Alternatively I messed more than a couple of times by not buying something I thought I already had but didn't have thereby missing out on a title I did need.

I find it tended to happen more during my cd only buying years.

There have been quite a few times it was intentional but I was upgrading a title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.