Ever Felt That You're Buying Too Much Music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chiagerald, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. live evil

live evil Senior Member

My wife wants to know if their is a support group for her or a website she can go to.
    She thinks she is all alone in this.

2. chiagerald

chiagerald Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm really in awe in the amount of responses I'm getting... guess I don't feel so alone anymore... haha! :) To add to the discussion, I do buy stuff in anticipation for the future... for example, I'm not really an "expert" on classical music now, but if I find a classical CD or LP worthy of purchase (perhaps due to the label, the price, or a famous conductor or performer), I'll go ahead to buy it first thinking that I might enjoy listening to it in the future...

Very often, I end up having a few versions of the same work and I wouldn't have known it cos I didn't keep track of my purchases.

3. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

I only buy music I want to listen to (not a collector, here), and I find that I can only absorb new music so fast. So sometimes I find that I am collecting new music faster than I can absorb it and I need to slow down.

I also like always exploring new types of music, new artists, etc. If I buy too much at once, some of those artists and styles will get lost in the commotion. Mostly this is too bad. On the other hand, I like having some quality material around tht I've never gotten in to so that late one night when I feel like I need some new music I can raid my stash.

It is all a bit subtle, I suppose. I do buy too much and in some ways its good and in some ways its bad.

4. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I have the same situation.:cheers:

5. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

Too much music? Well, yes, especially since finding this forum :winkgrin:

6. I have this irrational fear that someone who is knowledgeable in obscure musics is going to visit my house one day and spot glaring gaps in my collection!

The conversation would go "oh I see you've got the Sergius Golowin CD but how come you've not got round to the Walter Wegmuller deluxe 2 CD set - what are you thinking of!"

This is complete madness I know - but I continue to make sure I've got all the best reviewed albums on the best sounding releases in case one day that guy shows up.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I am kind of upset that I am copying all of my music to a T1 drive and my music will nonger be visible. Now, if someone comes over, they will look around and not see any music. I'll point th the external HD and say "it's all in there". They will think I downloaded scads of mp3s. I'll hada a tough time explaining FLAC and sound quality to them.

But, it will still be nice to not have all that bulk. This way, I can pack up my musuic and go. I should look into setting a HD playback up in my car.

8. cdice

cdice New Member

I plea guilty. I have stacks, literally, of CDs I haven't even listened to yet. For example, I bought the 2CD deluxe remasters of The Monkees' "Headquarters" & "Pisces, Aquarius..." the day they were released, and they're still sitting on the "to play" shelf, unopened, alongside about 30 other discs! For me, I've always been passionate about rock'n'roll and music collecting, even since I was a kid. (I was hooked when I was in the first grade and saw The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show, like lots of us, I suppose.) But I think my compulsion for collecting "everything" has actually gotten worse over the last couple of years. I mean, when it get to the, "do I eat lunch this week, or do I spend my lunch money on CDs?" point, ya know ya have a problem!:laugh:

9. Grant

I'll bet I can point out a lot of gaps in your collection!:wave:

10. You most probably could Grant - but you are not seeing it. Fortunately none of my friends share my taste music - when they come round it's a case of "you still listening to that weird ****"? So for now I am safe!

By the way I got the Walter Wegmuller 2CD "Tarot" set years ago on the day of release.

11. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

I sometimes feel like that too......:righton:

12. Grant

I get this, or something close to it all the time!:D

13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

:angel: No never.....

14. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

This is so true. The Music Industry should cover Steve's costs of running this forum! :D

15. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

I never think I'm buying oo much music, but disc management and organization can be difficult at times....

16. The London-based publication 'International Record Review' carries an endpiece column called 'Too Many Records' where famous and not-so-famous artists. producers, collectors, music-shop workers write about their collections and collecting habits.

One contributor, whose name I've long since forgotten wrote that his wife had queried why he had 41 versions of a particular opera. His reply? Because there aren't 42 yet.

Best Wishes
    David

17. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Kind of like when my wife sees all my different versions of In The Court Of The Crimson King. :D

Wife: "How many versions of that do you need to own!?"

Me: "Who's counting!?"

18. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I started thinking along those lines recently. I mean I have about 1000 cds and plenty to listen to. I keep saying well I really need this one but after that I think I got everything I want. But of course it never stops. I have slowed down a whole lot though.

19. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I got a deal with my wife:

i don't tell her not to buy shoes, she doesn't tell me not to buy cd:s.

Actually, i wonder was it really necessary to buy Black Sabbath's 70's catalogue for FOUR times?! Or Hendrix's Electric ladyland?
    Thank god i have bought Yes' albums only twice! Yet.

20. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

And That's the reason why I don't let anyone in my house,simply,for that reason! I'm safe....for now,anyway....:winkgrin: Michael Boyce

21. kraekker

kraekker German Music Physicist & Dadaismus Aficionado

THAT is probably one of the best explanations - or should I say excuses :D - I've EVER read :righton: And yes, I think quite similarly... :angel:

22. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

23. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Oh, man...don't get me started on all my different versions of Yes albums (singles, vinyl, CDs, box sets, etc.) :winkgrin:

24. kraekker

kraekker German Music Physicist & Dadaismus Aficionado

That's funny... JUST today I listened to the OME mastering of ITCOTCK when driving shopping with my wife. As usual, she was quite bored about the prospect of listening to my musical selection.

She before we're off: "I'm gonna listen to my iPod since you want to listen to one of YOUR obscure CDs again"

Then, while we're driving, I explain to her thoroughly why the OME-edition is so special since the master tape was MIA for about 30 years and just recently surfaced... so this was the FIRST occasion in decades to listen to that album as originally as possible.

She: "Aha."

Me: "Why do women don't have the slightest empathy for this kind of stuff?"

She: "For WHAT?!"

Of ITCOTCK, I only have three masterings... fortunately, I haven't started to argue about Pink Floyd's The Wall, Dark Side or Wish. Yet ;)

25. To be able to store it is always the major problem for me. I'm still living with my parents so I only have my bedroom for my CDs. With the Can-am cabinets I got last year I should have enough for about 2100 titles though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.