Ever Inadvertently Tell Someone His Band Sucks?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sternodox, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas Thread Starter

I used to get backstage passes to tons of concerts when my Dad drove tour bus. One time I was standing on stage watching Black Oak Arkansas, who were opening for Styx. This was mid- to late-70s, when I was mostly listening to a lot of new wave/punk rock. Clash, yes! Ramones, yes! Television, Voidoids, Talking Heads, yes! Styx? NO! Anyway, I was watching Tommy Aldridge do his drum solo and this dude walks up and stands next to me, wearing a plain t-shirt and jeans or something. He commented on Aldridge and I agreed that he was a great drummer. He asked me what I thought of Black Oak Arkansas. I said they were OK but the only reason I was there was because I got free passes. Then he asked me what I thought of Styx. I said, "THEY SUCK!" He gave me kind of a weird look and walked away. After BOA finished their set and Styx started I looked up and saw a spandex-clad dude with blow-dried hair and it was the same dude I had said "Styx sucks" to ... Tommy Shaw. At least I was honest. :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

You spoke the truth!

3. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Wow. I have, but certainly not at that level. When pressed for an opinion, I find myself saying things like "Yep, your songs sure have a lot of chords," or "Was your lead singer a theater major?" or the all-purpose "Great energy, man!"

Naughty Chord and Sternodox like this.
  4. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

I think they were pretty good until Kilroy Was Here.

BTW, I go with "Great Set! I enjoyed it!"

AidanB, Naughty Chord and Fullbug like this.
  5. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

I'd rather say "Yeah, good luck, not really my thing though..."
    I have found myself in situations where I've had to hum and haw around giving an honest answer!

6. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

wow, I would of said the same thing - I saw Styx open for some band that I can't think of right now back in 75. I do like certain classic rock bands but Styx and a few others I will not mention on here really do suck.

krock2009 and Sternodox like this.
  7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

No.... but I know someone who once met Chad Kroeger and intentionally told him that Nickelback was the worst band she'd ever heard in her entire life.

I wish I could've been there to second the comment. ;)

8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, that's my technique also. :D

Them: "How were we? What do you think" ? Me:"Wow, you guys put out a lot of sound!"

P.S. I will tell guys I know between sets if I think the soundman is having problems though.I can't hear the guitar, the vocals are muddy etc.,because this may be helpful for them.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  9. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I usually tell them semi-directly.

melstapler likes this.
  10. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I once pretend booed the band Dirty Projectors and the girl who plays guitar threw water on me :D

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

One time a friend and I were talking with Mike Keneally before his show and my friend mentioned that he didn't like a track from Keneally's new CD at the time (Wooden Smoke) but couldn't remember the title, and Keneally went through several track titles from the album with him trying to figure out which one he didn't like.

12. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I try to be open and not give negative feedback on my opinions of such things. I realized years ago that my opinion was just mine. That did not mean that others felt the same way as myself. I certainly would not tell that to someone I didn't know. It might give them the impression that I was an ignorant "blow hard".

Sneaky Pete and Naughty Chord like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NO, never! would handle it in an appropriate way. I respect my friend's feelings. Tact.

14. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Well, I guess this is close enough to fit here...

Many years ago I brought a stack of CDs in to a store to trade in. Among them was a disc by NY artist Elliot Sharp. After I left the stack on the counter I went to browse the store, and several minutes later, who walks in but --- Elliot Sharp! He greets the store owner, who then proceeds to say, "Hey, look at what someone brought in to trade!", and pulls his disc out from the pile. Both of them had a laugh, and I remember being thankful that the owner had the tact not to point me out as the culprit!! :laugh:

vonwegen, Zeki, Fullbug and 3 others like this.
  15. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

After a show my friends were telling Tommy Stinson how great his band Bash & Pop were so I jokingly said "I thought it sucked." He didn't laugh. It was a show before their album came out so it was almost all songs that no one knew. It was actually pretty good.

16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

And it least you had the willpower not to run over, grab the disc back, and then ask him for an autograph. :D

melstapler, vonwegen, no.nine and 3 others like this.
  17. Michael

you avoided an embarrassing situation...yes, bravo to the store owner! he must have liked you.

no.nine likes this.
  18. Michael

LOL!

19. Michael

good for her!

20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I can't believe you don't know what Tommy Shaw looks like. I could pick him out of a crowd. Styx is a great band, by the way.

sbsugar and Fullbug like this.
  21. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

What's the difference between a "pretend boo" and a real one?

ARK likes this.
  22. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Yes,
    a guy from the Decemberists, Rainy Day Records, Sandy Ave, Portland, Oregon.

23. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

No. But I once told some guy that one particular song by a popular italian group was terrible not knowing that he was the writer.

melstapler and Zeki like this.
  24. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

It wasn't like I was being obnoxious or malicious or even loud..They were booked to open for Jarvis Cocker at Webster Hall as he was looking for the "best new talent" in NYC..I liken them that night to an act you'd see on the Gong Show. I was talking to the guy next to me about how bad I thought they were and after one of their songs I guess I cupped my hands and booed..But it wasn't like anyone heard me..just to make the guy next to me laugh and I guess since I was in the front the lady playing guitar saw me, got an evil look in her eye, took her water bottle and started throwing what was left at me.

jerico likes this.
  25. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas Thread Starter

I generally would never do this either. But this was STYX!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.