SH Spotlight Ever see an old 1929 electric phonograph with a steel needle in action? Take a look.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "Non-Squashed Dynamics":
    how refreshing!!!

Paraphrasing:
    'I Don't Need No Stinking Brickwall!!'

:p

2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

It starts with enjoying an old 78 record and before you know it you're discovering extreme interpretations of Nietzsche and ordering the tiki torches? :laugh:

Had a great-uncle beaten to death at a work camp and my own father saw one of his playmates shot in front of him in Holland. Somehow though I'm not thinking this thread is a place to confront these issues.

PDK and The Beave like this.
  3. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

Here's a Columbia Grafonola that's dated 1919 on the bottom. I inherited it a several years ago. It's in excellent working condition and in excellent cosmetic condition. It came with a load of 78 rpm records that I am storing outside of the rack in the lower cabinet. It came with tons of extra needles (one box of needles behind the turntable near the left back corner) and an antique record cleaner (in the back right corner behind the turntable). The adjustable shutters on the front function as the volume control. The "horn" behind the shutters looks like a rectangular wooden speaker. Considering what it is, it sounds surprising good and can get louder than you might expect. No electric, hand crank only.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

sparkmeister, PDK, EdwardV and 10 others like this.
  4. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

1919 Columbia Grafonola continued...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

{END}

5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

"Rhythmus der Freude"

6. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Just because it was from Germany does not make it Nazi. Perhaps if you read up on the subject you wouldn't be so disappointed in our host.

389 Tripower, PDK, dalem5467 and 13 others like this.
  7. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

This is the best resource for info on early electronic phono pickups for 78's that I've been able to find:
    Early electric pick-ups for disc gramophone records.

I have a Collaro 78 turntable with a Bakelite arm and one of these pickups that I have for a restoration project. Does anyone have info where to get the appropriate steel needles, I'm assuming that the needles for the electronic pickup is different size to those used in the older non-electric gramophones.

beccabear67 likes this.
  8. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Many important technologies and great art were developed and created during different historical dark times and places, so I don't think it's appropriate to be so political in this regard.

PDK, The Beave, dalem5467 and 8 others like this.
  9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Man, amazing sound........

PDK likes this.
  10. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

How do you reckon the sound on this video was captured, and was there any altering or EQ tweaking? Sounds so great!!

The Beave likes this.
  11. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Steve's post #3 explains that it is an electronic recording. The pickup is an electronic cartridge, and the link I posted above suggests that the output is compatible with a mm phono input (possibly requiring a bit of attenuation).

12. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I had something like that in the early 70s as my first too..

13. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Well I do understand the initial reaction. As terrible as the movement was, not EVERYTHING the Nazis did was wrong. Same with Communists and so on. We praise Japanese equipment as well. Much of it was developed during and for the war. It's good we can move on and take the few good things that came to be. It certainly does not condone or promote hate of any sort. At least I would like to think so.

PDK, dalem5467, DrZhivago and 7 others like this.
  14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Its just silly at this point. Do you see anyone picketing Volkswagon dealerships or harassing owners of the Bug? You DO realize that Hitler was directly responsible for that automobile?
    This entire line of talk is just stupid, and yes my uncles fought in WWII(my dad was too old, but he worked at Willow Run building the planes and my mother worked on parts of THE BOMB).

PDK, The Beave, beccabear67 and 5 others like this.
  15. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Wow! Great sound. As I acquire more 78s I continue to be marveled by the clarity and dynamics of these recordings.

What really struck me was the lack of surface noise (relatively speaking of course.)

“Isadora Duncan worked at telefunken....”

16. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

My in-laws have a Victrola in their basement under a bunch of stuff. it looks very similar to the pictures above.
    I never expected it would sound any good - maybe I better hang on to it, and check it out.

17. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I stand corrected! I didn't see any dates listed other than the date of the machine. However, that music style sounds very American to me. Not exactly a Wagnerian symphony.

PDK likes this.
  18. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

with an acoustic Victrola, the soundbox is everything. The Victrola No. 2 model is exceptionally loud.

19. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

And looking very relaxed, Adolf Hitler on vibes.
    Nice!

PDK, dalem5467, Lou Ming and 6 others like this.
  20. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

This discovery needs is bringing up to modern industry standards.
    A book of photos.
    Out takes.
    12" extended mixes.
    Mono & pseudo stereo mixes.
    Any bits & bobs that were judged too poor to use at the time, but will now make up disc 6.
    A nice big fat box & price to match.

21. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I always wondered how many people were good about changing their steel needles after every play. You know there had to be a lot cheapskates who let the needle go for several plays until they changed it. Just like many people in the 60s didn't change their sapphire needles until they started skipping.

It's rarely the technology that damages the record. It's usually caused by the consumer who misuses the technology.

schnulli likes this.
  22. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Give me a break. This is instrumental music, not some political manifesto. Take your knee jerk reactions to reddit.

sparkmeister, PDK, The Beave and 9 others like this.
  23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Did German 78s have the same sharpening agent in the shellac that domestic ones did? I always thought that's what made ours so noisy.

I'm guessing the tonearm wasn't as heavy as that on acoustic players of the day, though still alarming by contemporary standards.

The Beave likes this.
  24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've got a BWJ 78, but it's trashed. Was afraid it would become moreso if I put it on my Victrola. I only spin common discs on Victrolas.

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for the link. Sounds incredible! What kind of microphone setup would typically be used for a recording like that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.