Ever seen a movie projected from a nitrate print? You can in Rochester...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Jun 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

Why are some people (according to the story) losing their $&@! about seeing an original nitrate print? Is that perceived 'glow' or something special simply the way film was captured and printed back then? From a still photography standpoint it is basically impossible to chemically recreate fine prints from that era simply because the film and paper we have now (if you're doing it chemically) is soooo different to the materials available back then.

dan c

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, I'm not sure. That trailer of "THE ARTIST" in this thread certainly has that look but that's not nitrate, it's the look of the old Orthochromatic film stock, weird lenses, etc. that they used in the 1920's combined with the pre-Pan Cake makeup and all. I mean, if it was the nitrate glowing than ALL films up until 1950 would glow like that and they don't. Some shine, some glow, some are amazing looking, sure but that's due to timing of the print and all of that, I think. Most nitrate flicks I've seen (not only movies but shorts) do NOT glow unless the director/photographer wants them to..

I've never seen a bad nitrate print but I've seen many that look just as good on safety film if properly developed.

I like the look of old IB Tech though, that's for sure. Just a coincidence of time that nitrate and Technicolor were at the same time. A 1956 true IB Tech safety print of a 1939 movie (like THE WIZARD OF OZ) might look even better than the original prints from 1939-40 which had a yellow/brown sheen to them, characteristic of Technicolor at the time. The 1956 print is actually MORE colorful and 3D looking and I've seen them both projected on the same day, same projectors. But of course I love watching the 1939 version because it's from 19 friggin' 39.

wayneklein, Dan C and GuildX700 like this.
  3. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I do it all the time.

4. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Veal. All week.

:D

5. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I have to agree. There is a more vintage 'true' monochromatic look to it, obviously, but having seen nitrate projected in various settings, I wouldn't say the difference is *glaring*. Is there a 'look' to it? Yes, but it's not as dramatic as some people make it out to be.

Still, however, with that said I would still tell a person that they should see something on nitrate if the chance presents itself.

I have some myself in my collection. Nothing major...just a few old snipes and an old 35th Anniversary trailer for for the Fabian's Theatre chain. I've had it digitally scanned, so if I ever needed to see it I have the digital files. I *do* have a projector that *technically* is equipped to run nitrate (an old DeVry XD which was a portable made with all the proper fire gates, etc), and a cheesy little 500w incandescent bulb isn't instantlygoing to spark any sort of major blaze but I just have no need to 'play with fire', no pun intended.

6. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I've always wanted to see nitrate but never have had the chance to. I think it adds something to films shot that way and thus I always thought seeing my favorites or especially the classic Universal Horrors would really benefit.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Those were all destroyed, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.