Every Billboard #1 Album discussion thread 1964-present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JozefK, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK let's take a crack at this...

You know how it works. I'll post, in chronological order, every album to hit #1 on the Billboard album chart. Anything about it is up for discussion: music, artist, album cover, record company, etc...

February 15, 1964: Meet The Beatles!

[​IMG]

2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Hmmm. I don't get the Beatles. Never understood their appeal. I've tried, I really have but I've rarely found them anything other than dreary. Therefore this record is not for me. I am aware that I'm part of an extremely small minority.

I haven't heard Meet The Beatles per se but the only song I've not heard is This Boy but I can't imagine that this one track would change my opinion.

3. JozefK

If that post doesn't get things going in this thread, nothing will.

4. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

If I could just talk to them I'd say "Plastics..."

5. Cookary02

Cookary02 Forum Resident

Meet the Beatles bores me, sorry. Love a few Beatles lps - Please Please Me and Help in particular - but Meet The Beatles seems filled with mor unconvincing merseybeat. The melodies and energy in the preceding album are much stronger, and the arrangements haven't really started maturing on Meet the Beatles.

carlwm likes this.
  6. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

My pleasure, sir. :tiphat::tiphat:

7. JozefK

Try not to flood the thread with posts. Everyone will get a chance to reply, but we want a nice and orderly thread we can all be proud of.

May 2, 1964: The Beatles' Second Album

[​IMG]

8. JozefK

Too bad The Beatles aren't more popular on the board.

Ginger Ale likes this.
  9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Too bad we can’t get an intelligent discussion about a very interesting topic. Not suprised though.

10. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...You know. two albums with the:edthumbs: EXACT SAME TITLE are coming up...and they succeeded each other at #1! They share one song (in different versions)! Can you guess (without looking it up, duuuuh) what they were?
    Did they have any Our Music hits on them?
    Well...one had a Hot 100 #1 on it, so yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:edthumbs::D
    Furthermore, a Top 40 hit was achieved by one of these artists as late as the later Reghan(Sp) era!
    STILL additionally, an artist on these LPs also issued recordings on Shelby Singleton"s brother label to Sun!!!!!!!:eek:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  11. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Ok, this is a great starting year. The beginning of Beatle mania and a perfect intro for SHF.

12. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...The actual first #1 album of the year was " The Singing Nun " - " Dominique ", et all - BTW.
    No, I don't know anything about it - the unfortunate finish of her life aside - myself. It was in the pole position for numerous.weeks, howevs!!!!!!!
    Also, BTW, that one-title double #1 could've been said to have " done a Dean Martin " on the LP chart! I"LL have lots to say about it even if nobody else does...

13. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

The weakest Beatles album, IMO.

14. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I had both of these LPs but I don"t have "em now!!!:cry::shake:

15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Not heard much of this. There are a lot of cover versions here.

16. JozefK

Now we can move finally past that teenage racket garbage from England and onto some real music.

June 6, 1964: Hello Dolly! -- Original Broadway Cast

[​IMG]

WLL likes this.
  17. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

OK now we're onto something. omg there is someone named gower champion. But I will always cherish the memory of being on the first page of this thread when it gets to 597.

18. JozefK

Marge and Gower Champion were a popular dance team in the '50s

He later became a choreographer and director, something of a rival to Bob Fosse (though Fosse was a far more inventive choreographer)

The story of Gower Champion's death, or rather how it was announced, is something of a show biz classic:

https://nypost.com/2001/11/16/life-and-death-on-42nd-street

At the current rate, sometime in the year 2525

19. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...The recent Bette Miller revival of " Hello, Dolly! " copycats this ad/poster/recording cover design, even to crediting Gower Champion again, decades after his death - I suppose the Midler (More recently with Bernadette Peters) production just copycatted his original choreography. I guess he must have kept notes.
    My parents had this LP. It had quite deluxe packaging, with shiny gloss on the front and back cover, the back having a fulll-color big picture of Carol Channing walking down the on-stage staircase for the title song. The track listing is inside: Were LPs sold in store without cellophane sealing in 1964?
    If having someone who was all over 1970s TV on this LP makes you High Boomer dudes feel it"s a little bit less " Ugh! Squaresville SHOW TUNES, Daddio! UNCOOLSVILLE! "...Charles Nelson Reilly is all over this LP, singing on several songs, including the lead on lovely ballad " It Only Takes A Moment ":love:.

20. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

I like the Beatles.

;)....okay...album cover is stark, yet effective. Wish I had an original copy, but you never see things like this out in the wild.

21. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I bought Second Album in the late 70s after hearing " Devil In Her Heart "!:)

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Has this thread been abandoned?

23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm up for a bit more. However I haven't heard that many albums prior to 1968.

Loking forward to learning a lot of stuff though. :righton:

24. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...The HELLO, DOLLY! CD-era reish adds a lot of interviews with Carol Channing (No CNR, alack-:shake:) and tastes of the recordings of songs from the show of later divas cast in the Dolly role during the Sixties...Mary Martin, Pearl Bailey, and Ethel Merman (whom Jerry Herman originally had in mind for the show), IIRC.

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.