EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Another great UK group – I rank them in my own favorites for the Sixties. There's a lot to be said for being there that the younger contributors to this thread cannot appreciate. What an amazing respite from the time's turmoil Gerry provided. To the esteemed Vinyl Man, I never even thought to compare G&P to Herman.

Damiano54 and MaggieMac like this.
  2. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nope, that would be me in 1992. And my hair was even better than Peter Noone's! LOL

3. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Always thought it was David Bowie circa 1966 for some reason.

alphanguy likes this.
  4. alphanguy

Next is the Beatles once again, with "Ticket To Ride" #1 from May 22 - May 28, 1965.

bluejeanbaby, Damiano54 and sunspot42 like this.
  5. alphanguy

The Carpenters also took "Ticket To Ride" to #54 on the charts in 1969:

bluejeanbaby, Binni and greelywinger like this.
  6. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Proud owner of the original 45, complete with the proclamation that it's from the never-made movie, Eight Arms to Hold You. Love the energy on this one, along with the incongruity of the sad lyrics against the driving beat. Always was among my favorites of the pre-Revolver era.

Interesting that this comes up now while we've got that other thread about the disputes between John and Paul over who wrote what, as this is one of the most-disputed ones. It's usually credited mostly or entirely to John, but Paul has claimed to also have been involved (at one point saying "give [John] 60 percent of it". In the 1980 interviews, John said Paul's contribution was about as significant as the way Ringo chose to play drums on any given song (which in itself means very different things depending on whether John or Paul was in the driver's seat). Paul says the title is a pun referring to the town of Ryde on the Isle of Wight (to get to the island, one had to buy a Ticket to Ryde), while John said it referred to a clean bill of health carried by the prostitutes in Hamburg.

Great song, in any event. I always liked "Yes it Is," too, the way it leaves so much to the imagination as to just what the narrator's ex did do him while wearing red.

SuprChickn77 and sgb like this.
  7. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Here was the first clue things were changing for The Fabs. Ringo's pattern, was carefully learned by every drummer I knew. George's 12 string opening commanded you to listen. John plays on top of George, during the verses along with a perfect vocal from Lennon. The harmonies with Paul are rock solid Beatles issue. The double time at the end, makes for a perfect ending. Even the B side "Yes It Is" was a fine update of "This Boy,"
    Every time I hear this song, I marvel on how contemporary and fresh it still sounds. How can anyone hear this, and claim they don't like The Beatles? There was genius at work here, and it was only going to get better.
    What a great song.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

"Ticket To Ride" was the one Beatles song that I really took notice of as a Beatles song at the age of two! My older sister denied it, but she had the 45 of it, and I remember her playing it on the record player. It was the only Capitol Records 45 RPM label we had in the house.

It's is one of my all-time favorite Beatles songs ever.

SuprChickn77 and Damiano54 like this.
  9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Another stunning intro, and a good antidote to a few weeks of novelty tunes at the top of the charts. Once again, the Fabs were pushing the sound of the '60s forward, and leaving most of their contemporaries - let alone their sad little imitators - in the dust.

bluejeanbaby, MsMaclen, ronm and 2 others like this.
  10. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I thought it was the likeness of a young Dorian Grey. ;)

11. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

"She's got a chicken to ri-ide..

SuprChickn77 likes this.
  12. sgb

sgb Senior Member

It seems to me as if Vanilla Fudge did something with it too.

Manapua likes this.
  13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

As did The 5th Dimension:

sgb likes this.
  14. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I never knew this before, interesting.

15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

It's from the Magic Garden album which is superb. Actually, Ticket To Ride is not a stylistic fit for the rest of the lp which was written by Jimmy Webb. If you've got the time, here it is in it's entirety. Billy Davis Jr. comes into his own on this lp.

16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'd never heard The Beatles version throughout the tail end of the sixties, but first heard the song as performed by Carpenters and fell in love with that version. This is the original promotional video footage married to the 1973 remix of the song for THE SINGLES 1969-1973. (Sorry the poster of the video fattened up the picture.)

17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Make the time. A seriously great album. I discovered it a few years ago through this forum and it became an instant favorite. If you get the original LP and the original CDs, "Ticket To Ride" concludes the first side of the album. On the Rev-Ola reissue, they removed it and relegated it to the end. I personally think it works better as part of the "story" that unfolds in THE MAGIC GARDEN. As for Billy Davis, his devastatingly haunting rendition of "Requiem: 820 Latham" is a highlight of the album for sure.

As for The Beatles, their "remake" of "Ticket To Ride" isn't too bad. (I know they were the original, but from my perspective, they had the remake!) :)

sgb and Manapua like this.
  18. alphanguy

Next is "Help Me Rhonda" by the Beach Boys, #1 from May 29 - June 11, 1965.

19. alphanguy

Here it is performed live on the Andy Williams Show, May 2, 1966.

greelywinger likes this.
  20. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like Ticket to Ride, but I like Help Me Rhonda more.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Not one of my favorite Beach Boys hits. Kinda annoying. It feels like the formula was starting to wear a little thin here.

Brian Wilson was about to shake things up quite a bit, though...

22. alphanguy

I agree. Of course, I don't like the Beach Boys as you all know... BUT this one to me is even more unlistenable. This time period in 1965 was kind of scant for good stuff, IMO.. besides Motown and Petula Clark, there were only a few things I really loved during the April/May period.. Glen Yarborough's "Baby The Rain Must Fall" is one... and this wonderful angelic voice from Australia was lurking in the top 10, peaking at # 4.

23. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

"I'll never find another you" is fantastic - "Help me Rhonda" is not. I really dislike it, it has everything I dislike about the Beach boys rolled into one song, and none of the things I do like.

Does anyone know the origin of the Seekers' clip? Was this shot just as a promo for the song? It certainly looks very expensive/high quality, as if it could have been pulled from a big studio 35mm feature film. That little bit at the front with a telephone makes it seem as if there is some sort of story/plot going on in the clip, like it's part of a longer film?

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. alphanguy

That is from their 1968 Australian TV special World Of the Seekers. Beautifully filmed in color, although Australia would not broadcast in color until March 1975. It was filmed in color for the benefit of being shown abroad, and in Australia they showed the color version in movie theatres (It was shot in 35 MM). This is my favorite segment from it... you can get it on DVD, it's worth every penny (It's PAL region 0, so you must have a machine that will play such fare)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Hey Vinyl Man and Tim S like this.
  25. Tamla Junkie

Tamla Junkie Forum Resident

It's funny you say April/May of 1965 at Motown was good, because I can only think of three singles I really like, not one of them a big hit: the obscure B-side "Tell Me" by the Vows, "Lonely Lonely Girl Am I" by the Velvelettes, and another B-side "Tune Up" by Jr. Walker and the All Stars.

It seems almost everyone in the music business was stuck in the doldrums for April/May of 1965.