EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This thread's gettin' weird.

Frank likes this.
  2. Frank

Frank Senior Member

These "Song by Song" threads really rely on people just talking about the current song (or maybe one song before it) and not going back months and months before and playing catch-up or bringing in tangents to stay coherent.

Tim S, sunspot42 and Grant like this.
  3. Grant

This thread's getting lost. Maybe we need the next song posted to help get it back on track.

4. John54

John54 Senior Member

Sure, guys, but you can hardly blame a new member of two weeks' duration, who joined the forum well after the thread was started, from weighing in on number 1 songs prior to his arrival. I would do the same.

5. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I wouldn't do the same, and I'm not even an especially courteous person.

Not trying to cast aspersions on anyone, but it actually is possible for a person to read things that interest them without feeling compelled to comment on them. That doesn't even get into the issue of posting uninterrupted pages upon pages of tangential semi-related information months after the fact.

Just saying it's bad form. Makes it very hard to follow or maintain interest.

OP set the topic and parameters way back at post 1:

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

I suppose it's possible to get lost (I haven't had any trouble following the discussion), but the problem is, if you reduce the focus of the thread too much, you end up with a bunch of responses like 'Oh, I never liked that one', or 'Oh, that's not as good as X by the same artist' or 'that's a classic'. Over and over again. What makes this thread fun is the tangents that the songs lead us onto. The weird trivia about the song or the artist. The arguments about whether the song deserved to be #1 (and what songs it beat out to get there). The context about the times it was produced in. The way those who lived through the times see the song vs. those who came to them through oldies stations. And for the more obscure artists, the chance to learn about some of their other work that those who like the #1 song might also like. I have become a Nino Tempo and April Stevens fan thanks to this thread. If we had been restricted just to talking about Deep Purple, that might not have happened.

And yes, many of the people reading here have not been following the thread for a year and change but find some of the previous songs compelling to talk about. Perhaps if we (I include myself) who bring up the older stuff are careful to frame these as resumptions of older conversations, it won't seem so confusing? Personally, I'd hate to lose out on the chance to talk about ALL the songs in the thread, not just the very latest one.

pablo fanques, Damiano54 and Skywheel like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yes, I know - I owned the 45 when I was a kid.

I abbreviated the title because I didn't think it was necessary to type out the whole thing. I'm fully aware of the song's complete title...

8. Oatsdad

The movie is called "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World". It was a major hit.

I meant "Lawrence" - not saying for a fact it's the greatest movie ever made, but I'm not saying it isn't either:

Lawrence of Arabia [Blu-Ray] (1962)

"Manchurian Candidate" is also excellent, and "Mad World" offers pretty good comedy. Never saw "Miracle Worker" and think "Mockingbird" is overrated... :hide:

Skywheel likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Agree - I might've been guilty of a little "catch up" too, but when people are quoting posts for weeks/months ago, this thread becomes more of a mess...

sunspot42, Grant and Frank like this.
  10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

It does get messy - especially when referring back to songs that are YEARS before whatever song is being discussed.

Frank likes this.
  11. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next is "Get Off My Cloud" by The Rolling Stones, #1 from November 6 - November 19, 1965.

12. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here it is performed live:

13. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Carly Simon's Attitude Dancing, from 1975, references the mashed potato (dance).

14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Holy crap, "Yesterday" and "Get Off Of My Cloud", back to back at the top of the charts.

They didn't call it The British Invasion for nothin'...

Rojo and sgb like this.
  15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I was not quite a teen yet in '65 and was a little put off by the scruffy Stones. It didn't help that my older brothers abandoned the Beatles for , in their minds, the cooler Stones and derided my beloved band every chance they got. That's not to say there weren't some songs I did enjoy such as Satisfaction and The Last Time but I was still about a year away from fully appreciating the more adult rock of the Stones. This particular tune probably lands somewhere in the middle of the pack for me. Good but not great.

16. Grant

It also references the hully-gully and the loco-motion.

17. Grant

We are entering the start of me hearing a lot of top 40 radio on a fairly regular basis in addition to all the soul music we played in the home. But, I don't have any memory of hearing this song in 1965 beyond the hook. It wouldn't be until about 1989 that I would hear the song.

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Hey Hugh, get of a McLeod!!!!

EddieMann, John B Good, sgb and 2 others like this.
  19. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

"Get Off My Cloud" might well be my favorite #1 song of 1965. Definitely in my Stones top ten as well. I vaguely recall the first time I heard it (on an oldies station in 1987), and thinking, oh, this is why they consider the Stones a big deal!

Craigman1959 and sunspot42 like this.
  20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The stereo version is horrible. The drums are in the left speaker.

21. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I agree 100%. One of my favorites from about 1959 onward; one in particular that I missed on its first airing was "Too Many Rivers."

SuprChickn77 and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  22. sgb

sgb Senior Member

It didn't take me long to get on board with the Stones; ultimately, I might actually prefer them to the Beatles during the early period.

23. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Quite true. There's way too much music snobism on these boards. The world didn't evolve around The Beatles or Stones.
    Brian Wilson's Pet Sounds has been ranked as either THE greatest LP of all time, or No. 2-3.
    Don't try to tell me most of the music doesn't leave the 60s.

Gary Lewis & The Playboys were GIANT hitmakers. They scored SEVEN Top 10 hits and NINE Top 20 hits in the span of 2 years.

Manapua and Grant like this.
  24. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

That's not true.
    Sirius-XM's 60s channel plays many lesser-charting hits.
    While they do play the biggies, they don't ignore the smaller, or lesser-known hits.

There are MANY songs they play that I'm not familiar with or only saw the title in a Billboard chart hits book.

The other day I heard SHE KNOWS ME TOO WELL -- a 1965 Brian Wilson classic -- that was the B-side to When I Grow Up (To Be a Man) and only charted at No. 101.
    On the 50s channel, I've heard BILLY (a teeny-bobby girl song) and the Ann Margaret single (which bombed when released), plus many other gems you'd never hear on commercial oldies radio.
    On the 70s channel, they do play some of the less familiar cuts. It's not only about the boring, big hits like commercial oldies radio was mostly.

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I had 2 older brothers and they loved the Stones.

Bad boys of rock and roll.