EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

In Melbourne AM radio had a competition that they'd reward anyone who named their child Penny Lane or Strawberry Fields. I think they got about 10 Pennys and 1 Strawberry.

pablo fanques likes this.
  2. John54

John54 Senior Member

I've always found Happy Together pleasant enough but distinctly underwhelming. It's well down the list of my favourite Turtles tracks. And it's another that I first heard at the year-end wrap-up, having missed it when it was current.

A terrific track in the same lyrical concept vein, and one that has a highly energetic '60s production style even though it dates from 1998, is Dance Girl Dance by Cinerama. If you like '60s pop and have never heard it, give it a listen!

John B Good and MaggieMac like this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

devlin likes this.
  5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Sounds like the Bee Gees in spots. Odd...

6. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

This and all their songs show what a perfect pop vocalist Howard Kaylan was. They had a total of 9 top 40 hits, which is quite and impressive track record. All their major hits are still a joy to listen to today. Elenore would probably be my favorite, but honorable mention has to go to this one, an amazing hook, and a killer bridge that is just pop perfection.

DISKOJOE, Damiano54, Tim S and 2 others like this.
  7. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I met Havens when he was appearing at the Cellar Door in Georgetown shortly after I was discharged from the Army. We had lunch together and I was given a pass to a show at the Cellar Door. Nice guy.

8. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Easily, their most recognized... But perhaps not their best one.

Love the sound. The smaller tier bands of the era are cranking out timeless classics. Also plug in some the Rascals '45's and soak in the spirit of 1967

9. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

1967 - Year of the Tortoise.

Every single single by the Turtles in '67 was a winner.

"You Know What I Mean" is my 2nd favorite after "She's My Girl".
    I even liked "Guide For The Married Man".

pablo fanques likes this.
  10. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Good use of the most important Turtles

11. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Flo & Eddie "Nikki Hoi":

12. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

I almost chose You Know What I Mean as my showcase number. One of its offbeat qualities is that it doesn't really have a chorus; its basically a bunch of verses that they throw more and more instruments and craziness on as the song proceeds.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  13. AppleBonker

The Turtles produced an embarrassment of riches, didn't they? We've gotten this far and I don't think anyone has mentioned You Showed Me, another incredible showcase for the singers. Is it live or is it Memorex? It's live, baby, and Flo and Eddie kill it!

14. John54

John54 Senior Member

No list of Turtles gems would be complete without Is It Any Wonder:

SomeCallMeTim and Damiano54 like this.
  15. alphanguy

You know this song reminds me that Kaylan's inflections and pattern of singing sometimes reminds me of George Michael in some ways. I saw them live 3 times, 1986, 88, and I believe 92. They were great each time... Mark Volman did this impression of Jim Morrison that just had me crying with laughter.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  16. alphanguy

Another thing I've wanted to mention here is how amazingly Kaylan can duplicate the sound of the record while singing live. Other artists have stated in interviews that they were amazed how he just comes out onstage and it's like your'e listening to the recording. This live performance of Elenore on the Kraft Music Hall in 1968 is a great example of that, and the killer drumming of John Barbata... he's just a BEAST.(and that kick Volman does at 1:59... what showmanship!)

17. AppleBonker

Discussions like this are one of the reasons I love coming here. I don't often get a chance to talk about bands like the Turtles with people who appreciate them like I do!

And the Turtles are one of those bands I could keep posting and posting about. Here's another clip I love. They did this song for some crappy teen rock movie that no one remembers today. It's obvious that the people who cast this one were a few years out of date with the times (dig the squares in the audience, maaaan). But the Turtles still came up with a killer psych track which is unjustly forgotten today. The clip features Barbata's predecessor Don Murray on drums, being incredibly groovy as he bashes the skins.

Gotta love 'em!

SuprChickn77 and Damiano54 like this.
  18. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Speaking of The Turtles, I really love their album "Battle Of The Bands" and was jazzed to find it on CD many years ago.

pablo fanques and AppleBonker like this.
  19. alphanguy

I've stated before that generally I go to the next song every 48 hours (most times), but in some cases I like to give an extra day for groups such as the Turtles, Mamas and the Papas, etc... who were groups with a large string of hits, but only one #1 hit.

20. alphanguy

Up next we have "Something Stupid" by Frank and Nancy Sinatra, #1 from April 15 - May 12, 1967.

21. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

One of the absolute highlights of my radio career was brining my late mother backstage at a 1992 Dion concert to meet him "Dion, Mom...Mom, Dion". The show was tremendous and I remember him smiling when I thanked him fot doing "I used to be a Brooklyn Dodger". That box set of his is priceless. So many brilliant recordings that radio wouldn't touch. (Purple haze, anyone?) Highly recommended

22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

This was a huge hit, but I'd literally never heard this in my life until a couple of years ago. Growing up in the '70s, oldies radio never spun this, and neither did the easy listening stations of the era my aunt listened to, that played Dionne Warwick and the like.

Sorry, but this isn't a highlight in either performer's catalog. I find it kinda creepy, too.

23. AppleBonker

Something Stupid

This is a song where the title is its best critique!

I already mentioned that I dig Nancy and Lee, but give me any one of their hits before this song. Frank Sinatra had passed his sell-by date at about this time, but he still had it in him to produce worthwhile work. This was not one of those efforts.

Yeah, I don't like this one. :)

Besides being uber creepy (a love song with your own daughter?) and featuring one of the most boring melodies of the sixties (OK, it's better than Green Berets), it sounds like Frank can barely be bothered to try in this performance, while Nancy tries, but this is not the kind of thing she does well. I rate it a miss: It doesn't have a good beat and you can't dance to it. :)

(Oh, and it never got played on oldies radio, so at least it's fresh to my ears, as I've probably heard it less than a dozen times. Half of those times were probably in the dentist's office, so for me it has that association going against it as well :) ).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    SomeCallMeTim, John22 and sunspot42 like this.
  24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Unlike Strangers In The Night which I hated as a youngster, this one didn't bother me probably because of Nancy. She still was cool to me coming off her solo hits and those sexy pictures of her in white go-go boots certainly didn't hurt. However, a 4 week run at the top was definitely overkill and quite a raspberry to Penny Lane and other high profile songs that had a much shorter stay at #1. This style of pop was on a downward track but when one managed to break through, it certainly struck a chord in the public's heart. And I don't want to leave the impression that I looked down on Sinatra. Quite the contrary as I loved The Summer Wind and particularly It Was A Very Good Year.

Skywheel likes this.
  25. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I was not of an age or disposition to pay any attention to Frank Sinatra in those days. Boots was a different matter.

I guess Something Stupid made the adults listen.