EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Well-Known Member

Shirley was a great musical talent and a great looking lady besides. I'm sure there were many dads who didn't mind watching the Partridges with their kids!

Below: Shirley in Carousel and posing for the camera

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Damiano54, CliffL, Jimi Bat and 2 others like this.
  2. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

How come I've never heard of this guy? Great stuff!

rmbaker likes this.
  3. AppleBonker

I Think I Love You

When I was young, most of the kids I knew liked the Partridge Family and/or the Brady Bunch. It's funny how those two shows are always entwined in my head. Just like I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched, or The Addams Family and the Munsters, the two family shows about a bunch of wacky kids always seemed to go together.

[​IMG]

By the time I caught up to them, they were already off network TV. I'll admit that I was more on the Brady side than the Partridges. I must have watched every Brady Bunch a thousand times, but I don't think I even watched all the PF shows. I think the problem I had with that show was that every episode seemed to be about Reuben and Danny. I couldn't stand Danny, and Ruben was funny but not enough to carry the show. Meanwhile, the two little kids were so nondescript that they were able to replace the little boy with a completely different looking kid and no one even cared (I'm sure there are some who preferred the blond one to the brunette or vice versa, but for me, they were less than useless).

I always thought Laurie should have been the star of the show. Take one guess why. But she never seemed to get the juicy stories that Marsha got.

Below: Laurie, so groovy on the keys. The era had some great gal organists (think also of Rose Stone and Veronica Lodge -- what a trio they and Laurie would make! :love:)

[​IMG]

Below: Laurie had some merchandise, too. It wasn't all Keith! (although they made sure to sell the doll with an included David Cassidy poster, so they knew which side their bread was buttered on!)

[​IMG]

But the main axis of the musical part of the show was definitely Shirley Jones and her real life stepson David Cassidy. By the time I started reading magazines regularly, Cassidy's time as a teen heartthrob was past, but later in my life I collected a lot of pop magazines from the late sixties and early seventies, so I can attest that this guy was HUGE. He and Bobby Sherman seemed to be in every one of those mags at one point.

[​IMG]

Below: Admit it -- you want to know the answer to that title!

[​IMG]

I honestly don't remember many of the songs. I Think I Love You and I'll Meet You Halfway are the only ones I can recall; oh, and the theme song, of course. The songs are decent pop and catchy, but they don't grab me the way the Monkees stuff did. I don't hear anything in them besides a competently put together bunch of numbers. I don't recall the group appearing often on oldies radio, either. All in all, I think I prefer their inspiration, the Cowsills, by a good margin. And that's before factoring in the fact that most of the Partridges had jack all to do with the music, while the Cowsills were all involved in their songs and had real musical chops.

What I do have a fondness for is the theme song. Not only do I like it better than their hits, but I also love the credits sequence with the cartoon partridge. Very groovy, and hearing it instantly takes me back to watching the tube after school. Plus, who wouldn't have liked to have a psychedelic bus to ride around on?

Here is the later version of the song, which I like better. Groovier I think.

(But isn't it weird that the mom and the five kids all hatch out of the same egg?)

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Forum Resident

The kids aren't shown emerging from the egg, just the mom is. But that is certainly weird enough in itself... a full-grown bird emerging from an egg, who apparently already has children?

sunspot42 likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

What a million dollar smile...gorgeous! Sad what age does to us all! I hadn't seen any photos of her much younger than her PF days. We are quickly headed for my entry into the music scene at around 10 years of age so I'm excited!

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, no doubt he had stage charisma. But this early stuff I just find annoying, and did even as a kid.

It's odd, because I've warmed to some other stuff as I've gotten older, but not this.

7. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

No, Bell's first #1 was "The Letter" by the Box Tops.

Even so, of the three big networks, ABC was easily the most youth-oriented. That might have been the best network for a show like that in 1970.

Damiano54 and Grant like this.
  8. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The song was released on Mala. I know it's either a subsidiary of Bell or eventually was folded into Bell but only their last charting single You Keep Tightening Up On Me was actually a proper Bell release. I'm sure W.B. can expound on this.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  9. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Mala was a full-blown Bell subsidiary (and the Box Tops' albums were on Bell proper). Even so, it's still part of The Family. The Temptations records appeared on Gordy, but no one ever says they weren't a Motown act.

10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

And let the arguments commence. :whistle:

11. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Forum Resident

I happened to have my iTunes playing on random while reading this, and what should come on when I get to these pics but "Being in Love" from The Music Man...sung by guess who? I don't know if that's more creepy or sweet.

12. Grant

Grant A Musical Free-Spirit

Yup. Mala was a Bell subsidiary.

13. W.B.

W.B. Forum Resident

"The Letter" was indeed on Mala, which was a Bell subsidiary (however, Box Tops' LP's were on Bell, which no doubt added to some confusion). "I Think I Love You" was the first #1 single on Bell proper. This is what was meant.

tmoore and Grant like this.
  14. W.B.

W.B. Forum Resident

Ms. Jones (who did have some solo singles on Bell while The Partridge Family was on and running) was one of several girls born in an era where many a mother named their daughter(s) after Shirley Temple. (Another was Shirley MacLaine, and I have to wonder about Shirley Bassey in that context, as well.)

As for post-PF pics of her, there were a few taken during her marriage to Marty Ingels.

15. AppleBonker

LOL. I was a Saturday morning cartoon junkie in the early seventies, and I don't recall ever seeing this one:

(Looks like the Partridges stopped off at the Jetsons' house to pick up their gear. And apparently Dave 'Reuben Kincaid' Madden took a pass on doing the voice for his character in this classic).

Grant and CliffL like this.
  16. AppleBonker

And because you were wondering, here is one of the future Partridge Family numbers. Interesting that they have yet a third look for the youngest son (I had to look up his name, that's how pointless he was: Chris). Is this a real Partridge number or some generic hackery?

17. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

I liked, and still like "Ooh child" better than any of the Jacksons' hits during this era. There is a lot of emotion in it that is lacking in the Jacksons' work, even though their songs were catchier. It also has really cool dynamics between the verses and choruses - again something absent from the Jacksons' hits. To my ears "Ooh child" has aged incredibly well.

Dougd, sunspot42 and AppleBonker like this.
  18. Craigman1959

Craigman1959 Well-Known Member

I always liked the Partridge Family songs....but the girls certainly liked them more.

And I remember liking David Cassidy's solo version of 'How Can I Be Sure?'....having never heard the Rascals version.

If you ever get to catch the movie 'Come On, Get Happy: The Partridge Family Story'...it was pretty interesting too.

19. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I LOVE the Jackson 5, but I agree with you on "Ooh Child" . It has the quality of both a lullaby and an anthem, and really brings back the feeling of this era for me. Clarence Burke Jr. sang lead and was an excellent lead vocalist, and the group's harmonies have a feeling of both melancholy and hopefulness.

One thing about this record, it was on the charts for a long time and slowly moved into the top ten, and the early pressings of the 45 had a cover of "Dear Prudence" as the A side and "Ooh Child" as the b-side. Their version of "Dear Prudence" is quite good. I remember I had a tough time finding a copy, I didn't locate one until about 6 months after it had fallen off the charts and it was no longer readily available in stores. My friends and relatives were always trying to borrow my copy, and I was like "Nope, it was too tough for me to score this!"

Tim S and sunspot42 like this.
  20. czeskleba

czeskleba Forum Resident

According to wiki, David Cassidy and Shirley Jones also did not participate. And Susan Dey quit after the first two episodes. But ironically (given the earlier Monkees/Partridge discussion) Micky Dolenz did provide voices for some of the supporting characters. I vaguely remember this show, but I never watched it for some reason, though I do remember watching other cartoon spin-offs like the Brady Bunch and The New Adventures of Gilligan.

Ah, I see here why I didn't watch it. It was up against The New Adventures of Gilligan on the schedule.

21. AppleBonker

Yeah, you're right. I thought at first they were all coming out of that same shell. Instead, they just spontaneously generate moments after the mother, already fully grown, is born. I guess that's an answer to 'which came first, the partridge or the egg?' that I hadn't considered!

22. AppleBonker

You're partially right. The sister and sole female in the group was named Alohe, and she does sing several verses on her own. I would say she and two of her brothers are co-lead singers on this one, as two of them get their own verses (one of the two is probably Clarence, but I don't know for sure).

Because you mentioned it, here is their excellent version of the Beatles' Dear Prudence:

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, Billy Preston introduced the group to the Beatles (not sure when that would have happened, though), and George Harrison ended up signing them up for his Dark Horse label a few years after Ooh Child.

Tim S and CliffL like this.
  23. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

"I Think I Love You" is the only Partridge Family song I like today that I can bear to listen to a couple times in a row.
    That song has made it onto my self-made collection of my favorite songs of all time (from acts from which I only like a couple songs), so I like it a lot.
    (I should explain -- that particular collection of mine is about 25 CDs long at this point, so the song has plenty of company)

The only other song of theirs that I don't mind hearing, but I only like hearing it no more than once at any sitting, is "It's One Of Those Nights (Yes Love)". I like the sentiment of that song but I don't like it very much musically, at this late date.

The Partridge Family was very big in my family's household. Here's why:
    I was 4 in 1971. The three children born immediately before me (all girls) were 13, 11, and 9, respectively, in 1971.
    So guess who heard a lot of the Partridge Family in the early '70s? (yours truly)
    My sisters had a (self-made) reel-to-reel tape (!) with their first two albums (The Partridge Family and Up To Date), and we had vinyls of Sound Magazine and Shopping Bag.
    But I guess they stopped being fans in 1972, since we don't have any of their albums after Shopping Bag.

I have a fourth sister who was 16 in 1971. As far as I can tell (from what they have told me) she was the only one of the four who was into the Monkees, as my other sisters were rather young in the late '60s.

24. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I'll put 'I'll Be There' up there with 'Ooh Child', and later the J5 did 'Dancing Machine', so that's another ringer right there.

25. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I believe Shirley Jones was 36 in 1970 (having been born in 1934). So she really wasn't that old when PF came around, but 36 to all us now looks a lot different than 36 looked to us then.

Jrr and Grant like this.