EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant A Musical Free-Spirit

Here we go again with stereotyping who liked what more. I grew up in that era as a kid, and I don't remember any girls liking the Partridge Family music, but I did know boys like me who did. I will admit that the musical portions of the show were intentionally targeted towards females because of David Cassidy being the main star of the show.

I was also a Saturday morning cartoon junkie in the late 60s and early 70s. I had no idea this cartoon existed until just now. Maybe my ABC affiliate just didn't show it. I did watch the New Adventures of Gilligan, though. Not for long.

2. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

One of the singles we had from 1968 was Merilee Rush's "Touch Me In the Morning" which was on the Bell label, but this was an earlier version of the label than the 1970-1975 version. Our single had a dark blue label, with the letter "Bell" in the shape of a bell at the 12 o'clock position on the label.

3. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

I Think I Love You and I Woke Up In Love were classic baroque pop. Most of the other Partridge Family songs sounded like something from From Elvis in Memphis or That's the Way it Is. Maybe because Elvis covered two Screen Gems songs on that album (You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling and I Just Can't Help Believing) they thought they were in with a chance and wrote songs in that style.

4. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Are you sure about Shirley Jones? She was born in March 1934, and as far as I can tell (from Internet) Shirley Temple was a child star starting in 1935.

Unfortunately not many of us have the longetivity to be able to verify this from memory.

5. Grant

If you reread my post, I said that I didn't remember any girls going ape over David Soul, not Bobby Sherman.

6. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

Bell's UK label totally dominated the charts in the early 70s with the Bay City Rollers and Gary Glitter as we as their US acts. I think they had a third of the top 40 at one stage.

7. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Not in my household, as detailed in my earlier post about three of my four sisters.
    None of my brothers had any use for the PF. One of them recorded their albums for my sisters on his reel-to-reel, but I could tell he was doing it just to placate them.

8. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

Bobby Sherman was in Here Comes the Brides. The theme song (Seattle) was huge, as was Easy Come Easy Go.

David Soul was even bigger. Don't Give Up on Us, Silver Lady and Going in With My Eyes Open were the first time an artist had their first three singles hit #1 (in the UK charts) since Gerry and the Pacemakers.

9. Grant

Maybe it's one of those times where we might be able to say that there were vast differences in regions of the country, differences in cultures, or households. There seems to be no other real explanation for all the differences we cite here on this forum.

10. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Got it. I'll delete my earlier post.

11. Grant

I know. I was there. We watched the TV show too.

Maybe there, but not here in the U.S..

12. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

In Australia we got The Partridge Family later than just about any country in the world. Family Album and Sound Magazine were already out when Channel 7 started screening the show. They were sort of an overnight sensation after that.

13. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

Guys used to dress like Starsky, girls liked Hutch. There's an episode where a bad guy gets Hutch strung out on heroin and girls in my class were literally in tears.

14. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

But I cannot speak for anything outside of my household --- not even my neighbors ---- since I was very young then.

Grant likes this.
  15. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I didn't realize that David Soul was so big in the U.K. Three number ones! I just remember "Don't Give Up On Us" here in the states. Of course he was a big star on "Starsky and Hutch" after "Here Come the Brides". I like the song "Seattle" by Perry Como, much more than his other hit "It's Impossible".

16. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

Even Queen Elizabeth was said to like Starsky and Hutch (and Kojak)

David Soul was on the Private Stock label which was owned by Frankie Valli

17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Are you referring to Angel Of The Morning?

18. Grant

OMG.:rolleyes: Really?o_O

19. Grant

There is the age factor, too. I was 6-9 years old in the early 70s. Just the perfect age to be one of those ABC Friday night lineup watchers.

20. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

The weird part is they all broke down sobbing the day after at school when talking about the episode. God knows what they were like when the episode was actually playing.

(We weren't allowed to watch it so I'm going on secondhand information)

[​IMG]

Starsky jacket. Don't you want one?

21. Grant

That's gotta be it. Many people don't know the proper titles of songs. But, yeah, they were on the Bell label, though they never got to #1.

The 5th Dimension's first Bell single was also around this time: "Puppet Man". Seems that once Bell switched their distribution to Screen Gems, they started getting more major hits.

22. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

Some of the later Box Tops singles were on Bell. I've got one called 'Let Me Go'

23. Grant

Here in the states, things were different. Kids were big into Happy Days, Kung-Fu, The Six-Million Dollar Man, Good Times, and Welcome Back Kotter. Older people were into Kojak ("Who loves ya, Baby?"), and of course, M*A*S*H, Maude, Mary Tyler Moore, and All In The Family. Needless to say, action dramas were huge in the 70s. So were shows like The Waltons.

24. Grant

I wasn't really aware of The Box Tops as a kid, although I had one 45 by them: "Fields Of Clover"/"Choo-Choo Train". That's all I knew from them.

Mylene likes this.
  25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Actually, their first Bell single was The Declaration b/w A Change Is Gonna Come/People Gotta Be Free. Puppet Man came next followed by Save The Country and the biggest hit from that first Bell LP Portrait, One Less Bell To Answer. On The Beach (In The Summertime) a non LP single was shoehorned into the middle of those four releases.