EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

How odd that "Day After Day" was nearing its peak as the same time as Nilsson's cover of "Without You". "Day After Day" would be another song that shoulda hit #1 but didn't.

lightbulb, Grant, Tim S and 2 others like this.
  2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

"Tiny Dancer" got picked up by radio after Elton became a superstar and got heavily played on oldies radio and AOR radio. Given the amount of play it subsequently got it's easy to see why people would think it was at least a top 10 hit, if not a #1.

Grant likes this.
  3. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Rocket Man was #2 UK but #6 US

sunspot42 likes this.
  4. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I'm Still In Love With You, really should've hit #1 smh.

sunspot42 and CliffL like this.
  5. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Yes, every once in a while a song gets "rediscovered" or re-evaluated by the general public. With regard to "Tiny Dancer" I remember the publicity it got in the movie "Almost Famous". Anyone who's seen that movie knows what I'm talking about.

I know it happened to a 1972 "non-hit" too, with Nick Drake's "Pink Moon" released that year and then becoming popular years later through use in a Volkswagen commercial. I'm one of those who discovered Nick Drake through that commercial...never heard of him in 1972 for sure (but would definitely have liked him if I had heard him then!)

lightbulb and sunspot42 like this.
  6. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

That's true, I notice a lot of the protagonists in these songs are regretful about their behavior. Another classic I can think of along this line is "The Dark End of the Street" (James Carr, Flying Burrito Brothers).

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yes, the theme was common in R&B/soul music also.

If there was no such emotion as guilt, country music probably would not even exist.

pablo fanques and Grant like this.
  8. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

What would you call the sentiment in the lyrics of one part of Luther Ingram's "(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right":
    "And are you wrong to give your love to a married man,
    And am I wrong for trying to hold on to the best thing I ever had?"
    I did see that on what a 1980 music almanac I've had for years, in the section of gold-certified records, referred to as "Mr. and Mrs. Jones" (as if!), there was a kind of "skating-around-the-edges" awareness of their respective situations and social mores about same.

Some have noted a jazzy feel to "Me And Mrs. Jones," especially Mr. Paul's coming from within that genre. This would seem to have fit more like a glove for the Philly instrumentalists compared to, say, recording the instrumental backing for the Spinners' first real big hit "I'll Be Around."

9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I heard Tiny Dancer quite a bit on the radio at the time but nationally, it didn't seem to register. Truth be told, after starting off strong with Your Song (#8), Elton went into a sort of slump in '71 despite the quality of the music he put out. My personal favorite Friends stalled at #34 while nothing from the excellent Tumbleweed Connection album managed a Hot 100 showing. In '72, Levon reversed that trend by placing at #24 but as been mentioned, the even stronger Tiny Dancer inexplicably missed the Top 40 altogether. Not to worry though, with the next single Rocket Man (#6), Elton would never miss the Top 10 (with the exception of 2 singles) for the next 4 years!

Grant likes this.
  10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I could shine a Light on a late 70s recording that fits this description but that would be a boon to those who like to jump ahead. :hide:

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That song does seem to be pretty guilt-free. The theme of the song seems to be "I know I should feel guilty, but I don't." The only real indication of possible guilt is the line "I don't wanna be right/If it means sleeping at night." So I guess that would be closer to a celebration of adultery, or at least a rejection of guilt and the social norms that impose it. By contrast, the protagonist in Billy Paul's song clearly feels guilty, and is to some degree tortured by his situation, which is more of a classic take on the theme.

12. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Before we leave 1972, it behooves me to cite my favorite Al Green song that definitely deserved a #1 designation but had to settle at #3 - You Ought To Be With Me. Goosebumps!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2018
    Grant, Endicott and sunspot42 like this.
  13. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Manapua, my favorite of Elton's early singles was also "Friends", along with "Your Song". Elton became a star in the U.S. in late 1970 which coincided with my initial interest in music, so I bought all of his early Uni singles through 1972 (Crocodile Rock broke the string, I didn't like it that much). Also bought the Tumbleweed Connection LP in 72...it was widely played on FM radio but I don't think any hit singles came from it.

My youngest brother caught the "Elton fever" from me and he was the one in our family who became the biggest Elton John fan.

Manapua likes this.
  14. Endicott

Endicott Forum Resident

Thanks for passing this on. I'd never heard it before. It sounds more 1977 than 1972 -- it's got a Pablo Cruise/Player vibe to it.

15. Dawg In Control

Dawg In Control Well-Known Member

Had a friend name of Gordon Jones in school. He caught a lot of grief over "Me & Mrs. Jones". He hated the song for obvious reasons.

16. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Forum Resident

"Steal Away" is about a guy who wants to sleep with someone else's wife, but evidently it hasn't happened yet. "Ruby" is about a victim of adultery. What I'm saying is that "Me and Mrs. Jones" broke new ground in that it was essentially celebrating an affair. I can't think of any earlier pop or soul songs that were so blatant about it.

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Again, I take issue with the notion that the affair was "celebrated" in that song. "It hurts so much, it hurts so much inside" is not the statement of a guy who is celebrating. Neither is the tone of of Paul's performance.

Grant likes this.
  18. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Not only that, but "celebrating" adultery really doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference. The fact that the narrator was involved in the first place was enough.

Besides, where would this leave "Take A Letter, Maria?"

19. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I know "The Dark End Of The Street" from James Carr (1967), "Mr. And Mrs. Untrue" from Candi Staton (1970), and another point of view could be "The Cheater" from Bob Kuban & The In-Men (1966). In real life the singer of the song was later killed by his wife and her lover:
    Walter Scott (singer) - Wikipedia

20. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

On 12/16, way down at #81, a good friend of Mr. Paul debuted with his own jazzy atmospheric groove:

CliffL, VU Master, Damiano54 and 3 others like this.
  21. John54

John54 Forum Resident

Best #1: The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

next best: Without You

and then: My Ding-a-Ling (with apologies to Me and Mrs. Jones among others)

non-Billboard: Too Late to Turn Back Now

Worst #1: Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me (edges out Lean On Me, Candy Man and Horse With No Name)

Best #2: Claire

Other songs that might have made it (offhand): I Need You by America, Metal Guru by T. Rex

22. Grant

Grant A 60s, 70s & 90s Lovin' Musical Free-Spirit

23. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

The Main Ingredients 'Everybody Plays The Fool' is another one that would've looked lovely at #1.

24. Hey Vinyl Man

That one definitely should have made it to the top!

sunspot42, Dougd and SITKOL'76 like this.
  25. Hey Vinyl Man

Eh, you're right. I also just remembered "Smoky Places" by the Corsairs all the way back in 1962, which tells almost exactly the same story as "Me and Mrs. Jones".

John22 likes this.