EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

o_O

Hey Vinyl Man and sunspot42 like this.
  2. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I would've thought that Ms. McGovern's character in that was a composite of Ms. Reddy and another Aussie artist - and one-hit wonder - we'll be likely examining way down the road.

3. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

Well you didn't name them, so why should I? lol

Haha, serioulsy, what you quoted from me was my response to a comment that
    mentioned an album sales figure that had been "floating around the internet,"
    which I took to mean "unsubstantiated."

And as I said, nailing down record sales seems to be a quest fraught with peril.
    There are so many contradictory estimates and figures, and some say "albums"
    while others say "records."

But, I am up to the challenge! How is this:

[​IMG]

If you're like me, you'd want more than one source, so:

[​IMG]

The unnamed ABBA is third, behind The Stones and Pink Floyd. They have
    them ahead of Led Zeppelin!

And how about this:

[​IMG]

Impressive again for the Floyd, but, again, this is only album sales.

Yet I am happy to throw all of that into the ashcan, as you didn't say
    "the biggest selling group" of the 70's, you said, "The biggest group
    of the 70's," not referencing record sales at all. Hence my dilemma.
    For I think the biggest group of the 70's is the Bee Gees, in terms of
    overall decade-greatness!

Perhaps we can revisit this later in the decade, when both groups
    get into full swing!

Dougd likes this.
  4. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

It appears that all 5 episodes of "Cass Elliott" week on Match Game 73 are on YouTube.

Here is one of them:

I am also deducting one point for the "TV rounds" pun!

5. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

That didn't bother me, as they happen all the time!

From Time magazine:

A total solar eclipse crossing the U.S. from coast to coast (drew) the attention of millions
    of Americans
    on Aug. 21, 2017, but when was the last total solar eclipse? The answer
    depends on where you are. It’s been a while since America has seen a total solar eclipse,
    but Earth as a whole sees one about once every 18 months.

When Was the Last Total Solar Eclipse?

But other lyrics sure tripped me up!

"as you watched yourself go about" -- I wouldn't know there was such a thing as a "gavotte"
    until after Y2K!

"your scarfet was apricot" -- What is a scarfet, said a youthful but dumb me!

Back when Casey Kasem was predicting what the number one song would be the following
    week, this was the first one that he guessed right!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  6. W.B.

Given all the misreadings of some of "You're So Vain's" lyrics, I had my own:
    "And all the girls dreamed the baby your partner . . . " ?!?!

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Wow, I never misheard any of the lyrics on this one - my uncle had the 45, although I don't think he ever bought any Simon albums.

8. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

That's one thing I like about the song, that it refers to that total eclipse.

I didn't figure out until the time of the 2017 eclipse that she was singing about the July 1972 total solar eclipse (because, in an article about the 2017 eclipse, I saw a map of recent [last 100 years] total eclipses that were over North America]. That was the eclipse where totality went over Nova Scotia. Until 2017, I thought she was talking about the March 1970 eclipse that was also total in the area of the eastern US, but (as I found out in 2017), was not total over Nova Scotia.

FWIW, I always heard "clouds in my coffee", even when hearing this as a youngster (was still 5 in very early 1973).

Endicott and sunspot42 like this.
  9. W.B.

As to Ms. Simon's first hit, "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be" - I've long had a memory of a filmed video she made for it, in which (from my recollection) she was sitting on a radiator with a window view, and was aired on The Great American Dream Machine (anyone remember that show? one of the names I remember from that one was Marshall Efron).

EDIT: Apparently I wasn't imagining things. Ms. Simon herself said that the video was filmed at her mother's house in Riverdale, and produced for that show. On her Twitter page, she'd put a link to what would've been the YouTube file for that. Only apparently it's no longer up. It would be featured, however, among the DVD set for that show.

trebori and sunspot42 like this.
  10. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Please trust me when I tell you that the "TV rounds" pun was completely unintentional. I should have said something like TV appearances instead.

11. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

The last total solar eclipse (prior to Aug. 21, 2017) over any part of the continental U.S. -- occurred on Feb. 26. 1979 in the Pacific Northwest.

I remember that because it was on my 12th birthday, and by coincidence my school class took a field trip to a science museum in Philadelphia that day (Franklin Institute, for those who know the area ---- so that answers another question - I was not in the Northwest that day).

I did not see the 2017 eclipse either, as I was in the UK at the time. There are two total solar eclipses over South America in 2019 and 2020, and I am considering going to one of them.

12. W.B.

I didn't see the 2017 solar eclipse, either - I was napping when it happened. On the other hand, I still have my sight . . . :winkgrin:

13. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Yes, everyday on Route 46 in Teterboro.

14. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I still like "Your so Vain" to this day.Always thought Carly Simon was so sexy for years.These early 70s hits were so good and reminds so much of my youth and AM radio.

15. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Joni Mitchell never had a #1 single, at least not on the Hot 100. If you're thinking of "Help Me," that peaked at #7 (and was her only top ten hit as a performer).

SomeCallMeTim and sunspot42 like this.
  16. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with Carly Simon's popularity during the 70's but she was a big part of the wave of women singer-songwriters that hit it big during the early 70's. 'You're So Vain' is obviously very iconic and has lived on, it's also been covered to death, it's her signature song.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  17. Hey Vinyl Man

She has a great catalog, and had more hits back then than most people probably realize today. One of those artists where I was only vaguely aware of her for a long time, then when I did finally start listening carefully, I could have kicked myself for not doing so sooner!

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No. I have to shake my head at your preposterous claims, and that of your professor.

Radio does matter just as much as album and singles sales. To say that carly Simon is ridiculous. I hate to bring up the age thing, but the fact is, you were a small kid and wasn't really exposed to everything in 1973. You really should stop trying to speak with authority on everything. I do agree with some things you post, but carly Simon being forgotten? Geez!

"Help Me", and maybe "Big Yellow Taxi" are about the only ones remembered by Joni Mitchell. One could make the case for "Big Man In Paris", too, but you get the point. And, maybe Prince was smitten by her, but that's pretty much it.

I am not slighting Joni Mitchell in the slightest. I just called you on your absurd claim that Carly Simon is forgotten.

19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

20. Grant

Remember that her father was half of the book publishing giant Simon & Schuster. That explains her large vocabulary.

No, you're mis-hearing it. The correct line is: "Your scarf, it was apricot,", as in the color apricot. So, it makes perfect sense.

21. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Joni Mitchell is a very, very famous artist. Blue is one of the most beloved albums of all time. She is immensely respected, a true prestige artist, and she had healthy sales. She is on the level of a Van Morrison. Carly Simon was very popular at the time, and had a nice comeback in the 80s, but her albums are worth nothing. They litter dollar bins and thrift stores. I say this as a big fan of both artists.

lightbulb and sunspot42 like this.
  22. Hey Vinyl Man

It occurs to me that none of the artists you mention are known for high-value albums, except some of Van Morrison's early '90s albums on vinyl. That doesn't really have anything to do with their critical or commercial success. (And most Joni Mitchell albums are fairly easy to find in secondhand shops as well.)

23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Radio is utterly irrelevant and has been for over a decade.

Traditional Radio Faces a Grim Future, New Study Says

Simon isn't well known among younger generations and her influence isn't broadly audible across the pop landscape. Whereas Mitchell's influence is literally in your face, with several major female contemporary acts being acolytes, Taylor Swift in a dramatic, blatant manner:

[​IMG]

This isn't to slam Simon, only to point out that Geffen had his reasons for promoting who he promoted, and that in the end he was correct. Lorde doesn't want to be Carly Simon. She wants to be Joni Mitchell:

Lorde: ‘I want to be Leonard Cohen. I want to be Joni Mitchell’

24. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

I run a record store, mate. I know of what I speak. If we are talking critical success, then Joni Mitchell is in another stratosphere. Joni has sold millions of records, Carly sold a bit more. Anne Murray was bigger than either one of them in the 70s. But she hasn't remained relevant. Carly is great, no question. Joni is on the Dylan level. Herbie Hancock won an album of the year Grammy just by covering her material.

lightbulb and sunspot42 like this.
  25. Grant

Gawd! Only on SHF does someone have to defend something that doesn't need defending! But, here it is, anyway! Someone has to step up and whack these ridiculous claims before they propagate through the internet.

Sunspot made the claim that Carly Simon is forgotten. That is not true. And, Carly Simon's sold about as well as Joni Mitchell. On top of that, carly has has a LOT more hit singles, which mattered back in the 70s and 80s.

The problem is that you guys are looking at this from today's perspective, influenced by so-called rock critics and a few artists who like her music. But, i'm telling you that Carly Simon is a better singer, had more hits, and more sales, and is better remembered by most.

That's The Way I Always Heard It Should Be
    No Secrets
    You're So vain
    Haven't Got Time For The Pain
    Mockingbord
    Attitude Dancing
    No One Does It better
    You belong To me
    Jesse
    Why
    Coming Around Again

...and i'm sure i'm forgetting a few.

Let's take A look At Joni Mitchell:

Big Yellow Taxi
    You Turn Me On, I'm A Radio
    Come In From The Cold
    Help Me
    Big man In Paris

That's it!

Now, let's take a look at the albums, and, remember, this is a SINGLES thread:
    Joni Mitchell:

Court and Spark Her ONLY top 10 album ever. Two others came close: "Hejira" and "For The Roses".

Se released 19 albums.

Now, let's take a look at Carly Simon...oh yeah, James Taylor's ex:

No Secrets (#1, BTW)
    Hotcakes
    Playing Possum
    Boys In The Trees
    Moonlight Serenade

All of these made the Billboard top 10. She released 23 albums.

So, whom did better? My money goes to Carly Simon. She also has more best of's and anthology releases.

They are both singers, writers, and musicians.

So, let's go back to my statement that David geffen probably had to put more effort into promoting Joni Mitchell because she needed help. Her songs just weren't that radio-friendly, and radio mattered big-time in 1973. Ms. Simon did quite well on her own. The average person didn't even know she and James Taylor were married, and if they did, it made no difference. And, if you want to go there, his recording success was just as spotty as Joni Mitchell's.