EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I cannot agree with this, and I think you will be proven very wrong.

Mine too! :pineapple: For me, we are already at the beginning.

Only in your opinion, of course.

SITKOL'76, thecdguy and Glass Candy like this.
  2. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

You'll hate this thread come the 90's :laugh:

ronm and Black Thumb like this.
  3. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

While I think Flack's version is considerably better.. I enjoyed Leiberman's version, too. It's a more simple, folk type delivery... and there's a certain appeal in it's simplicity.

AppleBonker likes this.
  4. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll pretend that time is not coming.

5. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I'll be outta here long before that.

AppleBonker and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  6. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

98% of rock and roll is utter garbage.

7. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

That's right.
    1973-74 will include a lot of odd-balls, corn-balls & less impressive No. 1s.

A few that come to mind:
    -Dark Lady
    -The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia
    -Billy Don't Be a Hero
    -The Night Chicago Died
    -The Streak

Later in the 70s, there will be drek like
    -Disco Duck
    -Do Ya Think I'm Sexy (ugh. Pure rot).

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Killing is a good song.

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

And I like a lot of those songs - although often only for nostalgia value - but yeah, several of those are dumber than a bag of wet cement.

The nadir of big '70s hits is a little over 4 years off, but it's a good example of how stupid the charts became. I love dumb pop, but not a relentless diet of the crap.

10. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like Killing Me Softly but not an awful lot, like a vast quantity of no. 1 songs already.

The difference is that I think it's a superior song on its own merits.

I call it The Last Good Song That Won a Grammy Award.

The fact that it's about Don Maclean is irrelevant (I like Empty Chairs).

I prefer The Last Time Ever I Saw Your Face.

11. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

"Killing Me Softly" was the #1 song the day I was born, which has always struck me as wholly appropriate given how I've always paid close attention to lyrics. I love Roberta Flack's version, can take or leave the others.

Surprisingly, I have no recollection of "Empty Chairs" although I did have a tape of American Pie when I was a teenager (taped from an LP I borrowed from the library).

Incidentally, in Andy Williams' version - which is just as deliciously campy as you'd think - he changes the singer's gender: "Killing me softly with her song." I've always wondered why, as the lyrics have absolutely no indication that there's anything sexual between the singer and the audience member.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  12. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I'm not sure if this in reference to her two #1s up to that point but for clarity's sake, she had three. Four if you believe more than one week at #2 is as good as a #1.

13. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Never cared for the Fugees' remake. Ms. Flack's was the most definitive.

It should be noted that:
    - Early pressings faded the song out more than 30 seconds earlier (running time listed as 4:13 rather than the full 4:46).
    - Real early pressings misspelled co-writer Norman Gimbel's surname as "Gimble."
    - "Killing Me Softly..." was issued by Atlantic as 45-2940. The next cat. # - 45-2941 - was an Aretha Franklin single, which she co-produced with Quincy Jones, "Master Of Eyes (The Deepness Of Your Eyes)."

As for Ms. Lieberman, I'll forever associate her with "The Great American Melting Pot" from Schoolhouse Rock:

pablo fanques and sunspot42 like this.
  14. Grant

I do not agree with this, either.

15. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

98% of Garbage is utter rock n' roll. :laugh: But then, I'm getting ahead of time here...

Manapua and Black Thumb like this.
  16. W.B.

Y'all probably would've hated living in the 1930's / '40's / pre-rock and roll '50's. There was what some would call "utter garbage" in that period, namely:
    - "Three Little Fishies (Itty Bitty Poo)"
    - "The Hut-Sut Song" (more Swedish Chef from The Muppet Show than ABBA)
    - "One Meat Ball"
    - "Open The Door, Richard"
    - "Cement Mixer (Put-ti, Put-ti)"
    - "(How Much Is That) Doggie In The Window?"
    - "Oh, My Pa-Pa"
    Now, back to "Killing Me Softly . . . " - on the R&B chart, it stalled at #2. Da noive (as they'd say in Brooklyn) . . .

Grant and Black Thumb like this.
  17. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I like The Fugees' version of "Killing Me Softly", but only the radio edit which runs about 4 minutes. On the album version that runs closer to 5 minutes, there's some talking right before the first verse and near the end of the song that sounds out of place and unnecessary. I don't think anyone could ever top Roberta, though.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  18. W.B.

Nope . . . no-one could.

As you listen to Ms. Flack's rendition, you may notice a slight uptick in the tempo as it goes along. Not so prevalent anymore with everything being sequenced on a graph, but was very much common in the olden days of "analogue" timekeeping. Some records that speed up or slow down in its tempo as they go along (I'm not talking deliberate changes), and there's a big beat, you could actually see the pattern as the record spins. For some collectors, that sight could be hypnotic.

Hey Vinyl Man, Grant and Black Thumb like this.
  19. Endicott

Endicott Forum Resident

The 1973 winning streak continues, as "Killing Me Softly" is a delicate, elegant song and my favorite among Roberta Flack's hits. You can just feel the style coming across the airwaves.

This is one of the earliest songs I remember hearing throughout its entire hit cycle. I grew up in Puerto Rico, and my parents would tune in to adult-contemporary stations or local pop stations, which would mostly broadcast Spanish-language hits of the time, with the occasional national US hit seeping through. "Killing Me Softly" was one of them, and even at the age of eight I thought it was, well, killer.

The Fugees' remake isn't really my cuppa tea, but I do appreciate them opening up the song to a new, younger audience. The oldies stations of the time rarely touched Roberta's record, for some reason, and after the Fugees you started to hear it a bit more, in a sheepish "sorry we forgot about this one" way...

20. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Yes, consecutive weeks in the Top 5 qualify for a No. 1 spot in my book, especially when the No. 1 hogs the spot FOR WEEKS.

Black Thumb likes this.
  21. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

"Killing Me Softly" squarely hits an intra-genre sweet spot between pop, soul, folk-rock, jazz & easy listening. Ms. Flack had the skill and feel to find that spot and effectively aim for it.

It's a master class on how to appeal to a broad audience with a high level of quality.

And yeah, when this thread hits the late '90s I'll (hopefully) be here preachin' for the Fugees too. :D

sunspot42, Glass Candy and Endicott like this.
  22. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Another great thing about "Killing Me Softly" ... it saves me from trying to come up with something profound to say about "Dueling Banjos", which it kept at #2.

I like bluegrass, but c'mon ...

23. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

The background vocals on this are fantastic.

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. W.B.

First-pressings of "Dueling Banjos" didn't even have an artist credit on the left side, it just mentioned from which film (Deliverance) it came. I don't even think it was original; I seem to have read somewhere it was originally issued on an Elektra (I.I.N.M.) album in 1963. 'Course, by '73, Warners' and Elektra were de facto sister labels, owned by what by then was Warner Communications, Inc.:
    [​IMG]
    A logo which we won't see on labels owned by this company until two years from this point.

Black Thumb and Grant like this.
  25. Grant

I'll take any top 10 hit from the 70s, 80s, and 90s over that crap in the 30s, 40s and 50s. At least the 70s stuff has an edge. That mess ^ from the 40s and 50s was so pure and squeaky clean enough to drive a person batty.

Brace yourself for the anti-R&B, funk, and disco posts!

zebop and sunspot42 like this.