EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I was about to post a similar comment -- maybe not so harsh. But it's one of my least favorite McCartney singles.

SomeCallMeTim and Hoover Factory like this.
  2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think this is one of the last #1 hits from when we lived in the little mining town I was born in, before moving to the city. Curiously, even though it was a huge hit, I have no memory of it from that time. Indeed, to me "My Love" sounds more like a hit from the mid to late '70s for whatever reason, and I associate it with Phoenix. Maybe nobody in the household liked it and always changed the channel? Anyhow, it was inescapable on radio from the mid '70s into the mid '90s, unless you spun the dial to get away. And even then, it would likely crop up again later that day, depending on which stations you listened to...

3. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Frankenstein

"That's Frunkensteen"

Ah, so that's how the song Frankenstein sounds. I have seen this song namechecked in the #1 book I have, but as with most instrumentals, it's hard to match the name to the song.

Of course, I have heard this one, but usually on classic rock stations. It's pretty cool (even a drum solo! On the top 40!), but my favorite aspect of it getting to the top is just seeing something from the album/rock side of the tracks get recognized on the pop charts for a change.

Interesting that we've gotten so far into talking about Frankenstein and no one has yet mentioned Edgar's brother Johnny Winter, who was also a musician of some reknown. I'm probably the wrong person to bring him up, as I don't know much about him. I do know he played for a while with Rick Derringer of the McCoys, who had a number one with Hang On Sloopy, so there's yet another connection to this thread. Anyway, here's a clip of Johnny on British TV covering the Stones:

Fun fact: the Winters sued DC Comics for defamation in the 70s! DC had a Western comic book called Jonah Hex which featured two brothers named Edgar and Johnny Autumn, who from what I understand were creepy bad guys. The Winters lost the suit.

[​IMG]

lightbulb likes this.
  4. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

The only reason I bought the "My Love" single (ten years after it was a hit) was the flip side, "The Mess." Great McCartney rocker in the tradition of "Hi Hi Hi."

5. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Forum Resident

I did the same thing!

6. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Unclassifiable

Yeah, I was gonna give Johnny a shout out but I forgot.

"Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo" was his biggest rock hit (Derringer was on that), but then he really got strung out on smack for awhile.

After kicking, he went off into the blues - both as a leader and producing Muddy Waters' late '70s comeback albums.

7. W.B.

W.B. Senior Member

The funny thing had to come from Billboard, which in its Hot 100 listing for "My Love" listed the producer (I kid you not) as "The Gramophone Co. Ltd." ('Twas not long afterwards that said company reorganized as EMI Records Limited.)

Another of the last records to mention The Gramophone Company Limited was an edited version of a song from the aforementioned The Dark Side Of The Moon a few posts back. Ladies and gentlemen, "Money" by Pink Floyd:

Only peaked at #13 on the Hot 100 but did manage to break through to #10 in Cash Box.

8. Grant

Grant A Brady-Boomer Musical Free-Spirit

The funny thing is that I listened to the song on a Phoenix FM radio station, probably KBBC. It's like they played it every hour.

9. Endicott

Endicott Forum Resident

"My Love" isn't my favorite McCartney single, but it's not bad. It gets slagged a lot because of its banal lyrics, but (a) a lot of great pop songs have silly words (Little Richard made a career out of those), and (b) Paul has never been about great lyrics anyway (though he's certainly capable of a memorable lyric when he's up to it; it's just never been a huge priority for him, and given his melodic talents, it doesn't need to be).

Paul's music has always been about the overall sound and effect, and on that level, "My Love" is a fine piece of work. I do believe he's written better melodies and put together more exciting arrangements (I do agree that the guitar solo here is outstanding), but this song is a worthy #1 as it is. Maybe not for multiple weeks, though. "Live And Let Die" is a better record on just about every measure...

sunspot42 and lightbulb like this.
  10. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

"My Love" is one I don't go out of my way to listen to nowadays. I don't hate it, but I heard it so much in the '70s that it's never going to leave my brain. About the only time I hear it in this day and age is if I play a McCartney compilation and it comes on (unlike some, I rarely skip tracks, so if it comes on my system, I'll listen to it).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  11. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

WRT Johnny Winter -

he played at Woodstock 1969, but I had never heard any of that material until it was included as bonus material on the Woodstock 40th Anniversary release.

The song he played that was included on that release was "Mean Town Blues".
    I took an immediate liking to that song and it got added to my homemade Woodstock CD.
    A studio version of that track can be found on his LP "The Progressive Blues Experiment".

12. Grant

We'll get back to this topic when we get to mid-1976, and I think you know what i'm talking about.;)

lightbulb and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  13. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Forum Resident

Same here. For a long time I knew it best from the Simpsons episode where Otto 'sings' it; I happened to watch that once with the closed-captioning on and it identifies the song.

14. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Would you happen to have/know all the Hot 100 methodology changes over the years? I (and I'm sure others) would love to know all the changes over the years. Thanks in advance ;)

15. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Unclassifiable

Wish I did have a comprehensive list. I didn't know about the '73 change until @tim_neely brought it up on this thread awhile back.

The next big one I know of doesn't come until 1991 when they started using Soundscan data.

lightbulb likes this.
  16. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

At the risk of piling on, I'm another lifelong Macca fan who was never bowled over by "My Love." It's not terrible, just kind of forgettable to my ears -- Paul on autopilot.

17. drad dog

drad dog Forum Resident

I had to find a way into this thread. I heard Casey Kasem play ATYD on AT40. It had to be on there for that one week only.

18. pablo fanques

pablo fanques "Mr. F!"

Now THAT is some knowledge!

19. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

The original version of "Frankenstein," from 1970, credited to Johnny Winter...

CliffL likes this.
  20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I have to say, I like "My Love" more now than I probably have in 30 years. Maybe since I stopped listening to radio almost 20 years ago its absence has made my heart grow fonder. It's a beautiful song, unlike several of the other big hits this year, which were kitschy and kinda ugly and annoying. This must have been a real reprieve for radio listeners, although I think they'd have been better served by 6 weeks of "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life" at the top of the charts...

We had a rainy day here and it occured to me I've always thought of this as a rainy day song, even though it was a hit during the middle of the late spring / early summer dry season in Arizona. Dunno if that has something to do with the weather at the time, maybe a later memory association of the song that I don't recall anymore, or just the sound and mood of the piece.

21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Red Rose Speedway gets slagged a lot on this forum. I didn't buy the album at the time until a cousin was spinning it one day and I heard the Medley on Side 2. Maybe he was trying to duplicate the Abbey Road medley and while it's more on the light weight side, I quite enjoy it.

pablo fanques likes this.
  22. W.B.

W.B. Senior Member

One factor in "My Love's" (and Red Rose Speedway's) chart success, was the release around the same time of The Beatles 1962-1966 and ...1967-1970 (a.k.a. the "Red Album" and "Blue Album"). The afterburners would be felt on the charts for months afterwards for two other ex-mop tops, as we'll see . . .

Tim S and sunspot42 like this.
  23. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

You mean he went back to the blues...

24. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Forum Resident

It is probably my least favorite McCartney album. The only song I really like is “Big Barn Red.”

Victor/Victrola likes this.
  25. Grant

I associate the tune"Frankenstein" with the Arizona thunderstorm season because that's when it was in heavy rotation, along with two or three other hits we'll get to in the next few days.