EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This is great news, and I hope it happens very soon. It's sad that Pono wasn't able to work out a deal with the labels. Maybe Quboz prices will be what the labels want.

2. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Remember that I Got A Name was written by professional Hollywood songwriters who also created many memorable TV themes, folks.

3. Grant

Nothing wrong with that. John Sebastian, Donny Hathaway, Henry Mancini, and Quincy Jones, all wrote memorable TV show themes.

4. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Same here. I was 9 and remember being sad that the guy who sang "Leroy Brown" was in a plane crash.

Witchy Woman, Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  5. Grant

I hear ya. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Otis Redding, Jim Morrison, and half of The Bark-Kays all died during my lifetime, but I wasn't aware of any of it happening. Jim Croce was the first I was consciously aware of right after it happened. I remember going to school the very next day in sixth grade and a lot of us guys were talking about it.

We wouldn't experience that again until John Bonham died. Bonham's death hit a lot of people hard in my world! Oh yeah, Elvis Presley passed in 1977, but it didn't really impact my peer group. neither did Marc Bolan. We just heard "Way Down" a little more on the radio for about a month.

John Lennon? That happened after I got out of high school.

6. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Though I knew the song as a little kid, I seem to recall I thought he was singing "in the whole downtown".
    I did eventually realize what he was really saying, of course. :)

7. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Shoo-be-doo-lang-lang ... "Yesterday Once More" by Carpenters was held at #2 by Leroy.

This is the fifth time they were stopped just short since last hitting the top way back in '70 with "Close To You". Not to worry, their "drought" will soon end ...

Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The first celebrity death I can recall was that of Wally Cox, which happened in February of '73. I was 4 at the time, loved Underdog, and knew that he provided the voice, so I was really bummed to learn there wouldn't be any more episodes. Of course, there hadn't been any new episodes of Underdog produced since before I was born, but I didn't quite know that. I was smart for a 4 year old, but not that smart!

I also thought he was absolutely ancient when he died. He was 48.

I knew Janis Joplin was dead by the time "Me And Bobby McGee" came out, and it was a favorite of mine when I was probably 3, in 1971. But I think the first musician whose death I was aware of after I became a fan and which saddened me was probably Croce's. That or Cass Elliot's death the next summer.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yeah, I remember when Paul died. :uhhuh:

10. Glass Candy

I was explaining why it was so good.

Grant likes this.
  11. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Naw... he just wasn't versatile enough to pull it off, he sounded even WORSE trying to sing Laura Nyro.

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. alphanguy

Next we have "The Morning After", by Maureen McGovern, #1 from July 29 - August 11, 1973.

13. alphanguy

14. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

This song is so annoying. It's probably the worst #1 hit of the entire year, sorry.

Rojo, Dougd and Damiano54 like this.
  15. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I saw The Poseidon Adventure when it came out and to this day always tie "The Morning After" together with it.It never bothered me.Not a song one heard much after its run.

16. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Liked because Cher looked A+ while presenting. Cher is probably the only person who can pull off half of what's in her closet.

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. Grant

Damn! We're moving right along! I just posted a Fred Wesley & The JB's #1 over in the other thread earlier. I feel like I need to post another one already.

I really like this Maureen McGovern song, and the followup to it, both from the film "The Poseidon Adventure (which I need to get on blu-ray, as i'm still rocking the VHS tape!). It's one of my all-time favorite disaster films, and they sure don't make 'em like they used to. Today, it's all cheesy, unrealistic scenarios about world catastrophes with bad scripts and acting. But, I digress...

It got to the point where I was sick of hearing this song in 1973, but I enjoy it today.

You know what i'd like? I'd like to play all this old stuff to a teenager and hear what they think. This particular song sounds like it could have been made in the 50s or early 60s, even before my time. And, to think Ms. McGovern was only a teenager!

StereoMan56 likes this.
  18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I liked this when I was four or whatever, but I agree that it kind of vanished down the memory hole pretty quickly. For good reason.

Really dated production - sounds like a Mama Cass song from 1971, but it wasn't '71 anymore and McGovern wasn't in Mama's league as a singer.

Now of course I can't hear it without thinking about South Park.

Not safe for work:

19. Grant

Oh, there will be LOTS more coming up! Count on it!

StereoMan56 likes this.
  20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It's everyday wear on whatever planet Cher came here from. It's probably somewhere near Bowie's homeworld.

Victor/Victrola and SITKOL'76 like this.
  21. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Wow! So was Maureen McCormick! (I wish both The Brady kidsa and Maureen herself, now a country artist, as a solo could've released hits..I love that song from Poseidon..was a bit too young to see it..

22. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Wow! I didn't think I KNEW that Lieber-Stoller actually prpduced a British artists' hit (Stealer's Wheels song, Everybody's agreed..) Those two (LP vbs 45) are dvery different..

23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

That designation is coming up real soon for me.

StereoMan56 likes this.
  24. Glass Candy

No. Jim Croce is no Cole Porter, period.

25. Glass Candy

The Morning After is one of my favorite #1 hits of this era. Hard for me to say why, I am not necessarily partial to these type of songs from this time by female artists. Can't stand Anne Murray or most Helen Reddy. I just have always loved the melody and the vocal performance, very moving. Good film, too.

Dr. Pepper and StereoMan56 like this.