EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

"Evil" was a minor hit, and pretty much confined to the R&B world. I had it on a K-Tel comp called "Super Bad Is Back". I think two problems were the very sparse production and the awful sound of the 45. 1974 saw the formation of their classic funk sound.

EWF didn't really break out until 1975. We'll get there...

2. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Since we slept on "Evil", let's make sure to highlight EWF backing up Ramsey Lewis, '74's magnificent "Sun Goddess".

It just missed Top 40 pop, alas. For maximum effect this is the full version.

SomeCallMeTim and Manapua like this.
  3. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Whoops! That was just personal opinion, mere speculation. Not meant to castigate any other forum members... :)

Jrr likes this.
  4. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

I don't know if they've exactly been forgotten - you can still hear their oldies on the radio every now and then, two versions of War are still touring, around 1993 their prime albums from the United Artists era were reissued on Rhino (I think with a huge campaign behind them (I was working in a record store then, so I remember). As far as their recording for UA, nobody's forgotten Traffic or Kenny Rogers either, and they were on that label...

zebop likes this.
  5. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I didn't know there were two versions out there; I just read there is a second group called Lowrider Band with four of the original members. I saw the one with Cheech And Chong two or three years ago; Lonnie Jordan uses the name War with a band where he is the only original member. It was a good show--at least the War part was; Cheech and Chong was largely was a waste of time.

JcS

6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

This ties in nicely although I apologize for jumping ahead a year! The movie Up In Smoke is out on Blu Ray in a few weeks.

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I hated "The Joker" when it first came out and was all over the radio. It was one of those "roll-your-eyes" songs among my friends. However, later on - and today, the song doesn't bother me at all. It's not a favorite by any stretch, but I tolerate it better these days. I guess it's because I've heard it so-o-o-o-o-o many times.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

A few weeks? It was out last week! It's in the stores right now. Good price, too! $12.99 at Target.

9. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Shout-out to a great song by Stevie Wonder that peaked at #8 this week. 'Living For The City', still one of his most beloved and signature hits from his 70's classic period. Surprised it didn't make it into the top 5 atleast. Sounds very much different from the usual that was being put out then, a great testament to Stevie's innovative style during this period.

10. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Also, a nice little shout out to a certain British born Australian bombshell who lept into the top 10 the week 'The Joker' went #1 for her very first time with this tune. Then just 25. She of course would go on to score many other hits, 5 of which we'll be discussing in this thread.

@Bobby Morrow ;)

11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Thanks @SITKOL'76. :D

Let Me Be There was actually released twice in the UK and flopped both times.:) For some reason it was different in America where it became her first top 10 hit. Sadly, the vast majority of Olivia’s huge US 70s hits died a complete death in the UK. No wonder she moved to the States as soon as she could:D

Let Me Be There is a lovely song and perfect for Olivia’s voice. I prefer it to the follow up, If You Love Me (Let Me Know), even though it was a slightly bigger hit and the two songs are virtually identical anyway.:)

Tragically, the writer of both these songs, John Rostill, was electrocuted in his home recording studio in 1973 aged 31, and never got to see the success of either single...

Edit. On Wikipedia, it says that Rostill actually died of a drugs overdose. However, I feel this must be incorrect as his death from electrocution has been well documented over the years.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  12. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Oy! I did it again. Mixed up Thank God It's Friday with UIS! Ordered both at the same time to get the cheap price and it's the Friday film that's about to be released. I paid 9.99 for UIS and 8.99 for TGIF.

13. Bobby Morrow

I don’t think Olivia had any intention of being a country star. In the UK, this sort of music doesn’t sell very well usually. However, around this time, pop/country records by the likes of Charlie Rich, Billie Jo Spears, John Denver and Glen Campbell actually did chart so a lot of artists, including Olivia and Cliff Richard jumped on the country bandwagon.:D

Hilariously, Cliff recorded a country single in 1975 called Honky Tonk Angel, little realising that this term refers, to, erm, a ‘lady of the night’. When this was pointed out to him after the single’s release, Cliff, a deeply religious man, pulled the single from the shops. He remains the only artist in the UK to ban his own record.:D

14. John22

John22 Forum Resident

The song entered the charts on 8/25/1973 in The Netherlands and peaked at #1.

15. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Olivia NJ certainly sounded like she was going after the country pop market with her first few singles - If Not For You, Let Me Be There, If You Love Me (Let Me Know)... I liked that persona of ONJ much more than what was to come later. It just seemed more genuine somehow. Or maybe I gravitate to that type of music more than the Top 40 stuff she soon began producing.

16. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

"The Joker" is one of those hits where everything sounds right. Miller's vocal is laid back and the groove is laid back. The subtle wah wah guitar is a nice touch as well.

Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  17. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I tend to agree. I like quite a bit of her stuff through Please Mr. Please, and hardly anything after that.

Dougd likes this.
  18. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

This song was an anthem in my neighborhood! Possibly my favorite song by them along with "Reasons" and "That's the Way of the World".

Manapua likes this.
  19. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Agreed on two of these songs. Reasons, though, is akin to fingernails on a chalkboard for me. Specifically the repeated Reasons refrain where his voice goes up and up in register. However, we really shouldn't be discussing these tunes now so I'll stop.

20. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes... "Blanket On The Ground" was a big deal at the time.... both here and in the UK.

21. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

That "Living in the City" didn't chart higher, given some of the stuff that did, is criminal.

22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I don't remember this one at all from the early-mid '70s. I always thought it hailed from closer to 1980. I guess that's a credit to their glammy/hard rock sound, which isn't a million miles removed from new wave.

23. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I didn't get into this song until the mid 90s but got into it hard.

24. Bobby Morrow

Billie had 2 big hits in the UK. Blanket and What I've Got In Mind. I bought the latter.:)

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I didn't take it in any negative way at all, but thanks for the courteous response! I just find it fascinating that we all hear the same thing, but we can hear it so radically differently.