EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Little Eva sang the demo. The song was written for Dee Dee Sharpe but when Don Kirshner heard the demo he thought it was so good he used it to start his own label. Dee Dee Sharpe covered it on her All the Hits album and it was a chart hit in New Zealand.

SomeCallMeTim and Tim S like this.
  2. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Much much prefer the Little Eva version of "The Locomotion".

We're in a stretch here of several #1s where I either have no memory of the songs from that time (e.g., Grand Funk's version of "The Locomotion"). or I don't care for the song very much. The latter happens a lot for me in 1974-1976.

As a result, I have not been commenting in this thread that much lately.

There are exceptions, and you will hear from me at the appropriate times.

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I can't imagine a post I could possibly disagree with more than this one.

4. John54

John54 Senior Member

Yeah, me too. I'm listening to it right now, and it's not terrible or anything. I often rant about people not liking From Genesis to Revelation only because it's not Foxtrot or Selling England; I shouldn't hate Grand Funk's Locomotion just because it's not Little Eva. It's alright. Bad Time though is great!

5. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Debuting just in time for warm weather '74 cruising is the stone classic "Be Thankful For What You Got".

The artist of course is William DeVaughn but it's been mistakenly attributed to Curtis Mayfield countless times.

Heck, searching the song title brought up one attributed to Curtis and mistitled as "Diamond In The Back". It has 22 million hits, which dwarfs all the properly titled postings.

SomeCallMeTim and Grant like this.
  6. Black Thumb

You're welcome. :D:D:D

"Once You Understand" was slightly before my teenage years, so I've long puzzled as to it's moderate success.

I know the older kids were driving their parents crazy with their wild Grand Funk records and long hair. The first chart run was over Christmas '71, so maybe parents were buying copies and putting them under the tree hoping to send a message - actually talking to each other wasn't really a thing for a lot of families in the '70s.

Unfortunately, the last thing a kid wants to do after trying to stay awake during a boring educational film in a dark classroom is listen to a record that sounds exactly like one.

AppleBonker and Jrr like this.
  7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Here's one that didn't do much on the charts in '74 although it should have. Lou Christie managed a late 60s mini-comeback when he took I'm Gonna Make You Mine into the top 10. Five years later he covered a tune from the 1930 film Monte Carlo - Beyond The Blue Horizon. His soaring take borrows the arrangement Mike Nesmith used a few years earlier but IMO he takes things to another level. The song got another public airing with it's inclusion in the film Rain Man more than a decade later.

SomeCallMeTim and Mylene like this.
  8. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

So I see Pharrell isn't the only one who's aped Curtis vocally . . . I have known about this record, I think (but I'm not sure) it was certified gold . . . and more important, I've had this for years. The label variant seen in that clip is from Indianapolis; my own pressing's a Hollywood . . .
    [​IMG]
    The background color on this in particular would ultimately rub off on Roxbury's then-distributor, RCA . . . after about early 1975, RCA would switch from yellowish-orange to that tan color (after a very hard to see light grey which, because of the way label backdrops are treated for drying, was very susceptible to discoloring) for their label design.

SomeCallMeTim and Grant like this.
  9. W.B.

There was also this hit from Stevie Wonder, "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing" . . .

His performance on the first two verses was of the type that led to a song by another act from a decade from this, being mistaken as by him.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  10. W.B.

Incidentally, the actual 45 edit played back then, and on Roxbury single #BRB0-0236, sounded more like this:

Grillmaestro, Grant and Manapua like this.
  11. Black Thumb

Yes indeed, it went gold. It's also coming up after two more toppers over on #1 R&B.

12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, obviously I'm sure we all got a kick out of listening to that cheez whiz! It isn't any worse than a couple things that are going to pop up here! Thanks for posting.

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Another fine top 20 imo!

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Like several of the soul hits of that summer of 1974, I didn't really hear this one until the early fall for some reason. But, my local radio was all over it! It seemed like once they finally put it into rotation, they played it every couple of hours. But, they jumped in on the excellent tune by The Main Ingredient: "I Just Don't Want To Be Lonely" right away.

15. Grant

Yes, this^ is the correct single edit that was the U.S. Roxbury hit single. I don't know where that label used in the video came from, though.

My Roxbury 45 had a lot more bass on it. However, After it showed up on Varese Vintage's CD "Totally Oldies Then 1", it had less bass and a lot more top end. I asked the engineer what tape he used and he told me it was straight off the first generation single master reel. I always use the one off an old THump Records CD comp because the sound of it matches my Roxbury 45.

16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I loved this when it came out. Sounded great on a stereo 45. I was pretty surprised they covered it being the kind of hard rock band they were, but I still thought it was great fun.

17. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

"Sweet Little Sixteen" spent two weeks at #2 in 1958. If that's "not even close" to #1, what is?

18. W.B.

Again, relativity. But that was the closest.

19. W.B.

Mr. DeVaughn apparently re-recorded this some time in the early 1980's; I recognize the PRC Richmond, IN label type anywhere. Why they would've used that to go with the audio of the correct Roxbury 45 edit is anyone guess.

From what I recall of my copy, Kendun Recorders cut the lacquers. They may've been the ones who retained the bass on that Roxbury 45.

20. Grant

Then, is it possible that varese Sarabande/Vintage really didn't have the first gen master?

21. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

You know, I was never really aware of this song until later that year when I discovered it on a K-Tel 1974 compilation.
    For some reason, the radio stations in my area (central Missouri) didn't seem to play it much (if at all).

I noticed the same with Curtis Mayfield's Freddy's Dead, which I'd never heard of (when I lived in Kansas).
    I was shocked to see both songs scored high on the charts, without really ever hearing them. But radio can be odd...

I don't think either received much airplay on so-called oldies radio, which isn't a judgement on the songs' quality, as radio programs very tight playlists.

Be Thankful For What You Got made it as high as No. 4, which is impressive.

TW LW TITLE –•– Artist (Label)-Weeks on Chart (Peak To Date)

1 3 SUNDOWN –•– Gordon Lightfoot (Reprise)-12 (1 week at #1) (1)
    2 1 BILLY, DON’T BE A HERO –•– Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods (ABC)-11 (1)
    3 2 YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW –•– The Stylistics (Avco)-15 (2)
    4 5 BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU GOT –•– William DeVaughn (Roxbury)-9 (4)
    5 7 IF YOU LOVE ME (Let Me Know) –•– Olivia Newton-John (MCA)-12 (5)
    6 12 ROCK THE BOAT –•– The Hues Corporation (RCA)-6 (6)
    7 9 HOLLYWOOD SWINGING –•– Kool and the Gang (De-Lite)-11 (7)
    8 6 BAND ON THE RUN –•– Paul McCartney and Wings (Apple)-11 (1)
    9 15 ROCK YOUR BABY –•– George McCrae (T.K.)-5 (9)
    10 27 ANNIE’S SONG –•– John Denver (RCA)-5 (10)

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  22. W.B.

I got all but #5 and 7 from this list, F.W.I.W.

23. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I don't think I've ever heard "Be Thankful for What You Got" either, until now. My loss.

24. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Most asked question when I worked the info counter at Tower Records: "You got Diamond In The Back?".

25. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

There seemed to be a fair amount of mainstream rock acts that covered 60's hits by Black artists in the 70's, and this one by Grand Funk never really did anything for me. I thought the very BEST of that ilk was this one, which should have made it higher than the #9 position it held.