EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

On the 45, the label indicated "Produced by: Flack." Joel Dorn was credited as executive producer, and her co-producers on this silky number were listed as "[Leon] Pendarvis, [Eugene] McDaniels & [Louise] Fleming." And correct me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't Eugene McDaniels who wrote "Feel Like Makin' Love," one and the same as Gene McDaniels of "A Hundred Pounds Of Clay," "Tower Of Strength" and "Point Of No Return" fame? I seem to have read in the affirmative . . .

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That makes sense. For the last year or two of the chart, you've been kind of surprised that such and such a song got to #1.

3. Grant

I should get that show on DVD or blue ray before that goes away, too.

4. Grant

I didn't pull out the 45, but I seem to remember that the album of the same name was credited as the producer being "Rubina Flake". I no longer have the album because it was a bit too mellow for my taste. I did rip the other single "Feelin' That Glow" and edited it down to the 45 RPM edited version.

5. W.B.

That's the thing, the "Rubina Flake" nom de plume must've been concocted in the wake of the single's success and in preparation for the release of the album.

6. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Feel Like Makin' Love is ok - a bit too smooth, or too mellow I guess. Never been a favorite.

Witchy Woman likes this.
  7. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

.Jumping back to " The Night Chicago Died ":
    -1- It certainly serves as another example of the fascination of so many 70s UK songwriter with Americana! From a distance.
    -2- As far as that goes, I recall reading one of the songwriters of TNCD saying people said to him, " there is no easy side of Chicago " - to which he said " Rubbish. every town has an east side " or similar - Meaning, of course, in the sense of an " East Side Of Chicago " that people make S thing about as they do over the South Side - or the Lower East Side of Manhattan, say. Chi-Towners here: Do people make much of a deal about the East Side Of Chicago?
    -3- My indelible 14-year-old memory of TNCD - being on a school bus, on a school trip, and this kinda thuggish - Well, by comparison to me - Puerto Rican kid was stomping up and down the school bus aisle singing along to the song!:bigeek:
    -4- However, speaking of Chicago's sides - I recall an episode of " Kolchak: The Night Stalker ", on TV at just this time!:edthumbs: - where Darren McGavin's narration sets up a killing talking about blocks in the South Side if Chicago where, contrary to the SS's image, Caucasian rednecks just up from the South gather, not black ones, in these " exception " blocks. The redneck is then killed by that week's monster, but anyway - Are, or were, their " Caucasian Haven " blocks in the South Side, breaking from its general demograpnhic:confused:?

8. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

We haven't gotten there yet. :)

I love "Feel Like Makin' Love." Everything I like best about lush '70s soul. Not a whole lot to say about it, just an all around great record!

sunspot42 likes this.
  9. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Roberta Flack - Feel Like Makin' Love

When I was really little, this song is what I imagined all 70's music to sound like. The "Quiet Storm" stuff as mentioned above. Jazzy, smooth vocal, delicate, light groove, prominent and gorgeous-sounding Fender Rhodes...yeah, Feel Like Makin' Love is the perfect embodiment of this style. What a great song and wonderful vocal. I get why this song went to #1 - it's addicting. I want to keep listening to it!

10. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This is my first contribution to this huge thread, but I dip in occasionally to see where you're at. And you're where I want to be.
    So much pop goodness right here, my head is spinning. This was my golden age of singles collecting, and so many of the songs being discussed still resonate with me to this day, like:
    Billy Don't Be A Hero. It's celebrated for its cheese, but this is a seriously constructed pop masterpiece.
    Feel Like Making Love. Roberta Flack was an amazing singer, and this single, along with Where Is The Love, are two of my all time faves.
    Rock The Boat. One of my 70's touchstones. A beautifully smooth song, killer chorus, a true disco precursor.
    To many others that have already been thoroughly discussed, so I'll just comment as you move forward. Thank you for keeping it going. I love that you have pictures of the labels-it brings back so many fond memories, and it's basically how I remember these singles-not by what was written on the label, but the color of the label itself.

11. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I somehow thought we'd gotten to 1975 already:shh:!:realmad::confused:

ey Vinyl Man, post: 18882554, member: 23965"]We haven't gotten there yet. :)

I love "Feel Like Makin' Love." Everything I like best about lush '70s soul. Not a whole lot to say about it, just an all around great record![/QUOTE]

12. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

"Feel Like Makin' Love" is another on my list of female-sung "pure magic" hits from this era. The vocal is irresistible, as is the vibe established by the backing group.

Kudos to Producer Flake (grin) for capturing the magic and getting it down on tape. It truly was Quiet Storm even before Smokey came out with the genre namesake.

And yes, the writer is the Eugene Daniels of "Hundred Pounds of Clay" fame. He also wrote "Compared To What".

pablo fanques and Grant like this.
  13. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I liked "Feel Like Makin' Love" at the time, and like it more now. I seem to think I have a Roberta Flack CD comp which surely has it.

But since I'm not sure, I guess that reveals that I haven't played it too often over the years.

JcS

Victor/Victrola likes this.
  14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Not a big fan of FLML and I loved The First Time Ever.

Victor/Victrola likes this.
  15. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

FLML is not a barn burner in my book, but it isn't the worst #1 of the year either. Not by a LONG SHOT.

16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I've always thought of this one as a pleasant song for a warm but showery and gray day. I always pictured her strolling thru Manhattan, next to some park.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

At this point in '74, the O'jays were riding to a #9 position with their funkiest hit to date For The Love Of Money. For the Ship Ahoy LP, the group stepped away from the previous album's more typical Gamble/Huff sound with the epic title track and this phased/Funk workout. 30 years later, a whole new generation of listeners recognize it as the title sequence to a reality series whose host went from the boardroom to the highest office in the land.

Damiano54, sunspot42 and Grant like this.
  18. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Bolan gained a few pounds in the mid-seventies and as a result probably lost his teen appeal ('whatever happened to the teenage dream?' he would soon sing). Meanwhile, Bowie was so coked up and eating so little that he looked like a skeletal ghost, which apparently didn't hurt his appeal to the kids one bit.

I can just imagine the awesomeness of a teen magazine article on Alice Cooper, though... Or Noddy Holder of Slade. Yowza!

19. AppleBonker

If there is one thing I can clearly remember from pop culture of that era, it was Fonzmania. Biggest thing to hit 4th grade all year (which would place it in 1976). Cover of all the Dynamite and Bananas Magazines.

I even had a Happy Days album, which was mostly fifties songs, but included several truly bizarre songs by the Happy Days gang (actually horrible impressionists pretending to be them). On one, Fonzie sang: 'Do the Fonzarelli Slide.... Stick your thumbs out like you're hitching a ride'. There was another even weirder song which consisted of Fonzie saying, over and over, 'aaaaaay….. sit on it!' while the Happy Days theme played in the background. I found this record in my closet one day when I was back from college and my brother and I were in hysterics listening to it over and over. Ah, the ways they ripped off the kids back in the day!

Good grief, I found the record on YouTube, including the 'sit on it' track. I love the review: 'it's like Revolution 9, but with Fonzie' (PS - the backwards part was artistic license on the part of the uploader, but makes it even more awesome). And yes, the video is of Fonzie 'jumping the shark'; it's where the famous phrase comes from!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    SomeCallMeTim and Cheevyjames like this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Slade featured hugely in these mags as they were massive here from 1972-4.

Bowie was just getting going in 1973. He would be quite happy to get the coverage, but by the middle of the decade would distance himself from this stuff. Or the mags would distance themselves from him.:)

21. AppleBonker

Sundown

Really like this one. I guess I'm a Gordon Lightfoot fan and didn't realize it. I don't recall this one getting played on the radio that often, but my mom had a couple of his records (she always liked folkies and light rock types) and that's probably where I heard this one.

My favorite of his songs is no doubt If You Could Read My Mind, and I quite like Carefree Highway as well. I even have a sheet music book of his.

I saw him on a talk show a couple of years ago (Ellen?), playing some of his songs. He was in bad shape. He seemed to be suffering from some sort of arthritis, and I even vaguely recall a breathing tube in his nose, but I might be wrong about that.

Before he became a successful artist, he was a songwriter trying to get others to cover his stuff. One cover I like was by Nico, who covered Lightfoot's I'm Not Saying for one of her more conventional albums, shortly before she joined the Velvet Underground. Sure, she kind of sounds like a frog at times, but I think she does a good job here, and the production has a nice, wistful quality to it like some of the best folk rock.

CliffL and sunspot42 like this.
  22. W.B.

In its message, it also struck me as Gamble/Huff's answer to Pink Floyd's "Money." Read the lyrics to Roger Waters' number, then read the lyrics to "FTLOM." You'll find in there some ripostes and rebuttals to Waters' message. The phasing seemed to be in substitution to the cash register sound effects in the PF tune. This one also did better on the "pops" than the edited Floyd number.

Grant likes this.
  23. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Milk, red peppers and Bolivian marching powder - breakfast of champions.

Ugh. I was in junior high in '76 and one of my friends had that album. Wretched stuff.

24. W.B.

Similar to Johnny Cash in his mid-1960's performances and appearances, when he was at the height of his pill addictions. Circa 1966, he definitely looked almost like a skeletal ghost himself, with the hollow look in the eyes and everything. 'Course by 1974, the Man in Black looked more filled-up rather than pilled-up (250 lbs., vs. 140 lbs. in his pill-popping days), and even put in an appearance as a guest murderer in a Columbo episode (with Ida Lupino, of all people, as the murder victim).

Jrr likes this.
  25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Seems that Jimmy Page was the guitarist there, too.

AppleBonker likes this.