EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I've always thought of this one as a pleasant song for a warm but showery and gray day. I always pictured her strolling thru Manhattan, next to some park.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

At this point in '74, the O'jays were riding to a #9 position with their funkiest hit to date For The Love Of Money. For the Ship Ahoy LP, the group stepped away from the previous album's more typical Gamble/Huff sound with the epic title track and this phased/Funk workout. 30 years later, a whole new generation of listeners recognize it as the title sequence to a reality series whose host went from the boardroom to the highest office in the land.

Damiano54, sunspot42 and Grant like this.
  3. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Bolan gained a few pounds in the mid-seventies and as a result probably lost his teen appeal ('whatever happened to the teenage dream?' he would soon sing). Meanwhile, Bowie was so coked up and eating so little that he looked like a skeletal ghost, which apparently didn't hurt his appeal to the kids one bit.

I can just imagine the awesomeness of a teen magazine article on Alice Cooper, though... Or Noddy Holder of Slade. Yowza!

4. AppleBonker

If there is one thing I can clearly remember from pop culture of that era, it was Fonzmania. Biggest thing to hit 4th grade all year (which would place it in 1976). Cover of all the Dynamite and Bananas Magazines.

I even had a Happy Days album, which was mostly fifties songs, but included several truly bizarre songs by the Happy Days gang (actually horrible impressionists pretending to be them). On one, Fonzie sang: 'Do the Fonzarelli Slide.... Stick your thumbs out like you're hitching a ride'. There was another even weirder song which consisted of Fonzie saying, over and over, 'aaaaaay….. sit on it!' while the Happy Days theme played in the background. I found this record in my closet one day when I was back from college and my brother and I were in hysterics listening to it over and over. Ah, the ways they ripped off the kids back in the day!

Good grief, I found the record on YouTube, including the 'sit on it' track. I love the review: 'it's like Revolution 9, but with Fonzie' (PS - the backwards part was artistic license on the part of the uploader, but makes it even more awesome). And yes, the video is of Fonzie 'jumping the shark'; it's where the famous phrase comes from!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    SomeCallMeTim and Cheevyjames like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Forum Resident

Slade featured hugely in these mags as they were massive here from 1972-4.

Bowie was just getting going in 1973. He would be quite happy to get the coverage, but by the middle of the decade would distance himself from this stuff. Or the mags would distance themselves from him.:)

6. AppleBonker

Sundown

Really like this one. I guess I'm a Gordon Lightfoot fan and didn't realize it. I don't recall this one getting played on the radio that often, but my mom had a couple of his records (she always liked folkies and light rock types) and that's probably where I heard this one.

My favorite of his songs is no doubt If You Could Read My Mind, and I quite like Carefree Highway as well. I even have a sheet music book of his.

I saw him on a talk show a couple of years ago (Ellen?), playing some of his songs. He was in bad shape. He seemed to be suffering from some sort of arthritis, and I even vaguely recall a breathing tube in his nose, but I might be wrong about that.

Before he became a successful artist, he was a songwriter trying to get others to cover his stuff. One cover I like was by Nico, who covered Lightfoot's I'm Not Saying for one of her more conventional albums, shortly before she joined the Velvet Underground. Sure, she kind of sounds like a frog at times, but I think she does a good job here, and the production has a nice, wistful quality to it like some of the best folk rock.

CliffL and sunspot42 like this.
  7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

In its message, it also struck me as Gamble/Huff's answer to Pink Floyd's "Money." Read the lyrics to Roger Waters' number, then read the lyrics to "FTLOM." You'll find in there some ripostes and rebuttals to Waters' message. The phasing seemed to be in substitution to the cash register sound effects in the PF tune. This one also did better on the "pops" than the edited Floyd number.

Grant likes this.
  8. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Milk, red peppers and Bolivian marching powder - breakfast of champions.

Ugh. I was in junior high in '76 and one of my friends had that album. Wretched stuff.

9. W.B.

Similar to Johnny Cash in his mid-1960's performances and appearances, when he was at the height of his pill addictions. Circa 1966, he definitely looked almost like a skeletal ghost himself, with the hollow look in the eyes and everything. 'Course by 1974, the Man in Black looked more filled-up rather than pilled-up (250 lbs., vs. 140 lbs. in his pill-popping days), and even put in an appearance as a guest murderer in a Columbo episode (with Ida Lupino, of all people, as the murder victim).

Jrr likes this.
  10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Seems that Jimmy Page was the guitarist there, too.

AppleBonker likes this.
  11. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

"Feel Like Makin' Love" (Roberta Flack) must have passed the smell test at my local radio station, as I heard this one (there) a lot.

Another pop group had a hit with the same title in 1975, which is why I always name the artist when talking about this one. However, I can't think of a radio station at that time that would have played both songs.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  12. Grant

Grant A 60s, 70s & 90s Lovin' Musical Free-Spirit

I can't think of one radio station that wouldn't have played both songs.

Manapua likes this.
  13. boyjohn

boyjohn Forum Resident

[​IMG]

pablo fanques likes this.
  14. AppleBonker

More catching up!

Rock the Boat

AppleBonker's verdict: it's disco, baby! :agree::laugh:

Whether it is or not, I do think that the one argument that doesn't make any sense is, 'it was not called disco at the time'. Every genre of art had to have a prototype before it was given a name. You wouldn't have had someone say, 'gee, let's create a new type of music called disco', followed by people rushing out to create this never-before-heard sound. :pineapple: The sound exists first, then the name. And it's quite possible that something else, maybe the Hustle, inspired the genre's christening, but that doesn't mean that earlier songs didn't also exhibit much the same sound without having inspired someone to create a new musical category.

Anyway, I'm no big fan of disco and look forward to being "that guy" as we get into the meat of the craze. But this song, this one I like. I just think it's unusually catchy for a type of song that really only needs a good beat to attract the fans. It was interesting to read just how much work went into capturing the right sound for this one. The vocals are particularly cool, especially when they get all airy as they sometimes do (like in the 'love and devooootion' part).

The Hues Corporation declared Chapter 7 not long after this hit, but at least they made one lasting contribution to the times!

Rock Your Baby

AppleBonker sez: Disco! :) (I promise I won't do this for every song from now on!)

This is one of the big hits from the era that seems to have disappeared from radio. I certainly do recall it, and it's another one I quite like. But it was one of those songs I've always known but never knew who did it or what it was called. So now I do. The end!

Annie's Song

AppleBonker's verdict: Yeah, not disco. Although about as funky as Denver got (yeah, I'm joking, I think).

This is OK, but I can never hear it and not hear: 'and now, the sound of John Denver being strangled: "You **** on my pillow... Urk...." '. (Monty Python reference, of course).

SomeCallMeTim and sunspot42 like this.
  15. AppleBonker

Ol' Jimmy got around back in the mid-sixties; he was a much in-demand session guitarist in Britain before he became a star with the Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin.

16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

:wantsome: ;)

17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

He eventually became known for being a Rock God but I'll bet a lot of folks would be surprised by all the Pop in his background. Leon Russell is another one.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  18. John54

John54 Forum Resident

Feel Like Makin' Love is alright but something of a step down from the two previous hits. I've always liked The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face a lot, while Killing Me Softly is a classic. It's not my favourite song, but I do like it.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  19. Grant

Grant A 60s, 70s & 90s Lovin' Musical Free-Spirit

It's ON brother!:wantsome:

They still had disco hits on...Curb Records later on in the 70s. Executive producer: Mike Curb! Of all people!:sigh:

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

One of my favorite episodes from my favorite all time show. He did a great job in it!

pablo fanques likes this.
  21. W.B.

That's the thing; Mr. Cash was a better actor than many people give him credit for.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  22. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I can think of a few. Obviously, I'm talking about my own area. We've established many times now -- that what we all heard in our local markets was very different.

23. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Been amusing myself trying to imagine what a John Denver attempt at making a disco record would've sounded like.

"Rocky mountain hi-hi-hi, mountain high, mountain high ..."

24. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I think it may be like this...
    "Rocky mountain high
    Rocky mountain high
    Rocky mountain high
    Up Up to the SKYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

Black Thumb and sunspot42 like this.
  25. W.B.

And here's the proof in the puddin' of how the "Rubina Flake" alias came after "Feel Like Makin' Love" topped the charts and then fell off it:
    [​IMG]