EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Close, but On the Border still had two songs that were leftover from Glyn Johns, and one of them - "Best of My Love" - became their breakthrough hit.

2. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

I guess they get lumped because they were big hits around the same time, were written by the same songwriters and because Paper Lace had a version of "Billy" as well.

I can theoretically understand the dislike for TNCD, but it just doesn't compute with the cheesy pop freak in me.

Jrr and Grant like this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

In defense of the songwriters, one could argue that they approached the topics like Hollywood does: the songs were "based" on true stories, and they were allowed to take "artistic license".

4. Grant

Well, you should know that most top 40 stations played both songs because they were both top 10 hits, and a lot of people like both songs. Were/are there stations that won't play both? Sure! But, in 1974, they were in the minority.

I did say that they fired Glyn Johns in the middle of recording "On The Border".

5. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Very much aware of that. I have seven older siblings that I know were listening to the various Top 40 stations around us. The siblings right above me, however, were older sisters (three in a row - aged 16, 14, and 11 in late 1974), and that probably played a role as to why I wasn't listening to the radio with them. They had better things to do than play with/spend time with their dorky 7 yo (in 1974) younger brother.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  6. Grant

My sisters were older than me too, but we all listened to the same music.

7. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Yes, but note that they were either at puberty or past it at the time we are talking about, wheras I wasn't anywhere near there.
    I'm not going to go any further here; I trust you know what it's like to live in the same house as teenage girls.

8. Grant

And we all still listened to the same music.:shrug:

9. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

All in all a better actor than Roy Orbison. Yeah, that was a thing, once (notice how they conveniently don't show him acting in the below coming attraction trailer, just performing, which, as we know, he was GREAT at!).

10. AppleBonker

I'd rather listen to the Night Chicago Died than anything by the Eagles, personally. Yeah, including Hotel California.

Hold on for a minute while I adjust my flame-retardant suit... :shh: :p

11. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

“Air That I Breathe” has often been credited with creating the ‘ABBA’ sound. Hard to argue with that

12. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

2 groovy facts about Paper Lace:

They were a rarity in that the lead singer was also the drummer.

After they hit it big, they hired a second guitarist named ... Carlo Santanna.

[​IMG]

SomeCallMeTim, Jrr and pablo fanques like this.
  13. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

I don't think most rock and roll and pop stars can act.
    Look how (comparatively) few rock singers have had successful film & TV careers.
    Singing in music videos is much different than playing a scripted role in a Hollywood production.

An early 70s movie, Texas Two Lane, starred Dennis Wilson (of The Beach Boys) and James Taylor.
    A reviewer said the movie showed Wilson was no actor, but also showed Taylor couldn't act either.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  14. pablo fanques

Yeah really Grant. You’re usually more of an authority than Joel himself!

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Mitch Murray used to put out a string of deliberately bad records every time he had a hit to avoid taxes.

16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Interesting observation, and not entire wrong, although "Waterloo" was already in the can by the time "The Air That I Breathe" hit the charts.

17. Grant

Drummers who sing lead while playing aren't that rare. There's Don Henley, Narada Michael Walden, Sheila E, Karen Carpenter, Phil Collins, Ringo Starr, Don Brewer, and many others.

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. Grant

I don't see how that's possible. Both songs were on the charts at the same time.

Jrr likes this.
  19. pablo fanques

Yes but if you count the songs going forward, the influence is there. I should have been more specific. “Fernando” from 1976 would be a good example. I didn’t say I came up with the theory, just that I’ve seen it credited that way by others.

20. Grant

I don't hear it.

21. AppleBonker

My mistake. I remembered she had this album below, and that it was more poppy than her VU stuff (like, what isn't?), including stuff written by Jacksoon Browne among others. However, I erroneously recalled it having been made earlier with Oldham, and that it included I'm Not Saying. Actually, the album came out after the banana album, and the name, Chelsea Girl, should have been the tip off that it was a Warhol-era effort.

[​IMG]

darryl hollingsworth likes this.
  22. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Comparing to tracks where Nico is actually singing, I always felt that the Chelsea Girl LP has about the same "poppiness" as the "banana album" tracks "Femme Fatale" and "I'll Be Your Mirror", and maybe a little more poppy than "All Tomorrow's Parties". Nico is not on any other tracks of the banana album. Overall, I'll agree with you that her LP is more poppy than the entire banana album LP, but maybe the better comparison is just to the three tracks I mentioned.

Chelsea Girl LP is a big favorite of mine --- one I discovered completely on my own ---- my favorite track on there, after all these years, is "Winter Song".

AppleBonker likes this.
  23. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I"m fond of Two Lane Blacktop, and would like a DVD of it.
    It is an oddity - not so much a " movie " as a " film ", so to speak, and a product of old Hollywood of the late 60s getting utterly confused about what to do - Not to mention that post-Easy Rider period when the studios would throw money at anyone in jeans and reflector shades with a vaguely " youth revolution "-oriented idea:righton:

d, post: 18922504, member: 6717"]I don't think most rock and roll and pop stars can act.
    Look how (comparatively) few rock singers have had successful film & TV careers.
    Singing in music videos is much different than playing a scripted role in a Hollywood production.

An early 70s movie, Texas Two Lane, starred Dennis Wilson (of The Beach Boys) and James Taylor.
    A reviewer said the movie showed Wilson was no actor, but also showed Taylor couldn't act either.[/QUOTE]

24. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

It's very easy to argue against that.
    There's little resemblance.

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Didn’t seem worth getting into but I will chime in and say I agree completely...I don’t see any connection where one could make that argument. Perhaps you could make the argument that the overall vibe of Air That I Breath, being highly polished, is the same but the song, group etc....no resemblance at all imo. And lot’s of music falls into the producers realm, and ABBA’s songs were made to be played with in the studio...a producer’s dream.