EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The "Fire" album is good, too! Hell, all of the Mercury albums up to "Angel", IMO, are excellent.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Uh, what?

Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, Chuck Mangione, Billy Joel . . . everyone and his brother was doing jazz/rock straight thru the end of the decade. Chicago might have abandoned it, but plenty of others entered the void they left, from Boz Scaggs to the Michael McDonald-fronted Doobie Brothers.

Damiano54 and Manapua like this.
  3. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I didn't mean assault, I just meant women-in-tightpants- watching. See also Commodores' " Brick House " (more that itt swipes the OP"s song*), that " Daisy Dukes " song, "Baby Got Back ", Mel McDaniel " Baby"s Got Her Blue Jeans On ", Dr. Hook " Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk ".
    Are we getting all academic-feminist about " the male gaze " here:evil:j? Do you mean ' bird " in that 60s British sense? This is the same band who put nekkid women all over this string of albums" sleeves!:goodie:
    *-"Brick (pause) House " itself recalled this rawther archaic:sigh: slang phrase, " built like a brick sh*th*use "!:bigeek:

t, post: 18953730, member: 91"]Uh...not quite what they were talking about. They were talking about bird watching, not sexual assault.[/QUOTE]

4. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I liked that book a lot, but I felt she (the author) really dropped the ball on that part of Carole King's life. She got a little too wrapped up in the whole "women never got a fair shake in anything, ever back then" argument, and tended to ignore parts of all three of their careers - but especially King's - that didn't fit her thesis. Don't get me wrong, professional women really were at a tremendous disadvantage back then, but she got a number of things all wrong in her zeal to portray King as a victim of the patriarchy. Just off the top of my head, she said the reason why King had no hits for a decade after "It Might As Well Rain Until September," was that Gerry Goffin put his foot down about her making any more records. The opposite is closer to the truth: Goffin (who would later go the route of Peter Green and Syd Barrett but hadn't gone off the deep end yet) was very supportive of her career, but she preferred to write for others at that point. Not to mention that she did make some other records - they just weren't hits.

In King's own biography, she blames Gerry Goffin's descent into madness on drugs, and even implies that she knows who got him hooked (but doesn't name names). As for Rick Evers, she's remarkably open about his abuse and provides some great advice on how to get out from under an abusive partner. That she got involved with someone like that only goes to show that anyone can end up in a bad situation like that. Love is blind.

Mylene and Manapua like this.
  5. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I hadn't"t read that Coffin descended that far!:eek: Had he recovered by the Eighties? He had his name on hits then - a Whitney #1, for one...

inyl Man, post: 18953920, member: 23965"]I liked that book a lot, but I felt she (the author) really dropped the ball on that part of Carole King's life. She got a little too wrapped up in the whole "women never got a fair shake in anything, ever back then" argument, and tended to ignore parts of all three of their careers - but especially King's - that didn't fit her thesis. Don't get me wrong, professional women really were at a tremendous disadvantage back then, but she got a number of things all wrong in her zeal to portray King as a victim of the patriarchy. Just off the top of my head, she said the reason why King had no hits for a decade after "It Might As Well Rain Until September," was that Gerry Goffin put his foot down about her making any more records. The opposite is closer to the truth: Goffin (who would later go the route of Peter Green and Syd Barrett but hadn't gone off the deep end yet) was very supportive of her career, but she preferred to write for others at that point. Not to mention that she did make some other records - they just weren't hits.

In King's own biography, she blames Gerry Goffin's descent into madness on drugs, and even implies that she knows who got him hooked (but doesn't name names). As for Rick Evers, she's remarkably open about his abuse and provides some great advice on how to get out from under an abusive partner. That she got involved with someone like that only goes to show that anyone can end up in a bad situation like that. Love is blind.[/QUOTE]

6. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

It was co-written by David Palmer, who'd sung lead on a few tracks of Steely Dan's debut album Can't Buy A Thrill - but not the two hits from it which were handled by Donald Fagen who, by this point, sang lead on all SD tracks.

7. W.B.

An unfortunate truism.

Grant likes this.
  8. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Wow. Jazzman got all the way to No. 2.
    Didn't realize it charted that high.
    It certainly sounded like a No. 1.

US Top 40 Singles Week Ending 9th November, 1974
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

TW LW TITLE –•– Artist (Label)-Weeks on Chart (Peak To Date)

1 2 YOU AIN’T SEEN NOTHING YET / FREE WHEELIN’ –•– Bachman-Turner Overdrive (Mercury)-8 (1 week at #1) (1)
    2 3 JAZZMAN –•– Carole King (Ode)-11 (2)
    3 6 WHATEVER GETS YOU THRU THE NIGHT –•– John Lennon with the Plastic Ono Nuclear Band (Apple)-7 (3)
    4 10 TIN MAN –•– America (Warner Brothers)-12 (4)
    5 11 BACK HOME AGAIN –•– John Denver (RCA)-8 (5)
    6 17 MY MELODY OF LOVE –•– Bobby Vinton (ABC)-8 (6)
    7 14 DO IT (‘Til You’re Satisfied) –•– B.T. Express (Scepter)-7 (7)
    8 4 THE BITCH IS BACK –•– Elton John (MCA)-10 (4)
    9 12 LIFE IS A ROCK (But the Radio Rolled Me) –•– Reunion (RCA)-10 (9)
    10 13 CAREFREE HIGHWAY –•– Gordon Lightfoot (Reprise)-10 (10)

11 19 EVERLASTING LOVE –•– Carl Carlton (Back Beat)-8 (11)
    12 1 YOU HAVEN’T DONE NOTHIN’ –•– Stevie Wonder (Tamla)-15 (1)
    13 22 LONGFELLOW SERENADE –•– Neil Diamond (Columbia)-6 (13)
    14 18 THE NEED TO BE –•– Jim Weatherly (Buddah)-9 (14)
    15 25 I CAN HELP –•– Billy Swan (Monument)-7 (15)
    16 5 CAN’T GET ENOUGH –•– Bad Company (Swan Song)-13 (5)
    17 23 LOVE DON’T LOVE NOBODY (Part 1) –•– The Spinners (Atlantic)-8 (17)
    18 20 OVERNIGHT SENSATION (Hit Record) –•– The Raspberries (Capitol)-9 (18)
    19 24 I’VE GOT THE MUSIC IN ME –•– The Kiki Dee Band (Rocket)-9 (19)
    20 26 WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN –•– The Three Degrees (Philadelphia International)-7 (20)

21 16 DO IT BABY –•– The Miracles (Tamla)-12 (13)
    22 30 ROCKIN’ SOUL –•– The Hues Corporation (RCA)-5 (22)
    23 29 SO YOU ARE A STAR –•– The Hudson Brothers (Casablanca)-8 (23)
    24 32 PEOPLE GOTTA MOVE –•– Gino Vannelli (A&M)-8 (24)
    25 31 WISHING YOU WERE HERE –•– Chicago (Columbia)-4 (25)
    26 36 ANGIE BABY –•– Helen Reddy (Capitol)-4 (26)
    27 33 SHA-LA-LA (Make Me Happy) –•– Al Green (Hi)-7 (27)
    28 28 DISTANT LOVER –•– Marvin Gaye (Tamla)-7 (28)
    29 37 CAT’S IN THE CRADLE –•– Harry Chapin (Elektra)-6 (29)
    30 38 AFTER THE GOLDRUSH –•– Prelude (Island)-6 (30)

31 9 STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES –•– Mac Davis (Columbia)-12 (9)
    32 40 YOU GOT THE LOVE –•– Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan (ABC)-5 (32)
    33 55 KUNG FU FIGHTING –•– Carl Douglas (20th Century)-5 (33)
    34 35 PLAY SOMETHING SWEET (Brickyard Blues) –•– Three Dog Night (Dunhill)-7 (34)
    35 46 DORAVILLE –•– The Atlanta Rhythm Section (Polydor)-6 (35)
    36 41 YOU CAN HAVE HER –•– Sam Neely (A&M)-8 (36)
    37 48 PROMISED LAND –•– Elvis Presley (RCA)-3 (37)
    38 49 LA LA PEACE SONG –•– Al Wilson (Rocky Road)-6 (38)
    39 15 THEN CAME YOU –•– Dionne Warwick and the Spinners (Atlantic)-16 (1)
    40 51 FAIRYTALE –•– The Pointer Sisters (Blue Thumb)-6 (40)

THIS WEEK’S DROPS

43 21 LOVE ME FOR A REASON –•– The Osmonds (MGM)-11 (10)
    44 8 SWEET HOME ALABAMA –•– Lynyrd Skynyrd (MCA)-16 (8)
    45 27 HONEY HONEY –•– Abba (Atlantic)-9 (27)
    48 7 STEPPIN’ OUT (Gonna Boogie Tonight) –•– Tony Orlando and Dawn (Bell)-12 (7)
    67 34 SECOND AVENUE –•– Garfunkel (Columbia)-8 (34)
    72 39 NOTHING FROM NOTHING –•– Billy Preston (A&M)-18 (1)

POWER PLAYS
    41 53 THE BLACK-EYED BOYS –•– Paper Lace (Mercury)-5 (41)
    42 54 TOUCH ME –•– Fancy (Big Tree)-5 (42)
    46 60 YOU’RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING –•– Barry White (20th Century)-2 (46)
    47 59 I FEEL A SONG (In My Heart) / DON’T BURN DOWN THE BRIDGE –•– Gladys Knight and the Pips (Buddah)-5 (47)
    49 47 SHE CALLED ME BABY –•– Charlie Rich (RCA)-7 (47)
    50 65 LAUGHTER IN THE RAIN –•– Neil Sedaka (Rocket)-4 (50)

DEBUTS THIS WEEK

59 — JUNIOR’S FARM / SALLY G –•– Paul McCartney and Wings (Apple)-1 (59)
    61 — MUST OF GOT LOST –•– The J. Geils Band (Atlantic)-1 (61)
    64 — AIN’T TOO PROUD TO BEG –•– The Rolling Stones (Rolling Stones)-1 (64)
    75 — DREAM ON –•– The Righteous Brothers (Haven)-1 (75)
    79 — ONE MAN WOMAN / ONE WOMAN MAN –•– Paul Anka with Odia Coates (United Artists)-1 (79)
    89 — BLACK LASSIE (Featuring Johnny Stash) –•– Cheech and Chong (Ode)-1 (89)
    90 — JUST ONE LOOK –•– Anne Murray (Capitol)-1 (90)
    93 — U.S. OF A. –•– Donna Fargo (ABC / Dot)-1 (93)
    94 — FUNKY PRESIDENT (People It’s Bad) / COLDBLOODED –•– James Brown (Polydor)-1 (94)
    95 — FEEL LIKE MAKIN’ LOVE –•– Bob James (CTI)-1 (95)
    96 — WHERE ARE ALL MY FRIENDS –•– Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes (Philadelphia International)-1 (96)

9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

With all the 60s artists enjoying renewed chart success, it should be noted that one of the big artists of the early 60s - Bobby Vinton - revived his career with a Polka/Polish influenced set of tunes. My Melody Of Love, which reached #3 and Beer Barrel Polka. I won't link to these tunes since I pretty much hated them. The cheese, unfortunately, did not stand alone.

10. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I prefer 80s cheese to 70s cheese. :nyah:

tmoore likes this.
  11. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I'm somewhat lactose intolerant so I have to watch my cheese intake. :winkgrin:

12. Grant

I don't call what any of the artists you mention jazz-rock.

13. Grant

I mentioned Bobby Vinton a few pages back. And, since I liked it, i'll link "My Melody Of Love".:)

I'm the opposite. It's probably a matter of a small age difference.

14. W.B.

We're gettin' ahead by a few months, but I have from this set in my collection #1 - 13, 15, 19 - 22, 25 - 27, 29, 30, 32, 33, 39, 41, 44, 46, 48, 50, 59, 72 and 79.

I enjoy this too, it's part of my collection as well.

Its success led to a syndicated Canadian-produced variety show he hosted in the mid-'70's. One edition saw his name in the background in one segment read "BOOBY." Evidently a gag. I think it was one of a thousand such shows Allan Blye produced or co-produced over the years . . .

Jrr and Grant like this.
  15. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...You weren't alone, Grant! In contrast to his opinion of Paper Lace, Boss Daley apparently liked this one.:winkgrin::cool:

post: 18957431, member: 91"]I mentioned Bobby Vinton a few pages back. And, since I liked it, i'll link "My Melody Of Love".:)

I'm the opposite. It's probably a matter of a small age difference.[/QUOTE]

16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I remember this well. Gave me New Seekers vibes.

17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Steely Dan isn't "jazz-rock"???

:sigh:

18. W.B.

One of the first on the U.S. Island label upon striking on its own as an "indie" label after its distribution deal with Capitol ended. As Island was based out in California for its U.S. operations, it's remarkable that East Coast pressings had CBS Pitman type:
    [​IMG]
    By the next year, their work was issued on Pye's U.S. imprint of the same name. When ATV bowed out of the States in 1976, Pye U.S.' chief, Marvin Schlachter, took what was left and started a label apparently named after this group, which would become a key disco label into the '80's - Prelude Records.

SomeCallMeTim and Grant like this.
  19. Grant

Not to me, and I have all of their albums. The reason I don't think so? Not enough rock, except for the first couple of albums. I would say they are closer to fusion-jazz.

20. Grant

I had forgotten all about this one until a few months ago. I can't quite remember exactly where I heard it but i'm sure my local radio didn't play it much.

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Well, Wikipedia disagrees with you. In fact the first genre listed for Steely Dan is...jazz-rock.

22. Grant

How many times have I said that Wikipedia isn't the last word on a lot of R&B music, is often wrong or missing lots of information, and is most often written from a U.K. point of view?

Except for the first couple of albums, Steely Dan never gets close enough for rock.

23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Wait...Steely Dan is now R&B music?

:wtf:

24. Grant

First, I didn't say that. Second, they certainly do R&B music.

25. W.B.

That one of their songs was played on Felix' Hernandez' Rhythm Review on WBGO 88.3 in Newark, NJ seems to be testament to this.

Grant likes this.