EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I was 14 years old and wasn't going to discos! A PRM column, IIRC, by Vince Aletti - ALETTI, thank you, my phone's we word correct function - said that about " Everlasting ".

ant, post: 19302157, member: 91"]Boy, I sure remember it! Probably because Arizona is a much more rural place, and it's located in my state!

It's totally false. Listen to both versions. They ain't even close!:unhunh:

It is possible you heard it in a disco, but one thing must be made clear going forward: there were differences in the type of music Black discos played and White discos played. Black discos didn't play all that Silver Convention, Village People, and Donna Summer stuff. They were more likely to play funk and R&B-based disco like Tavares, Ohio Players, and Parliament.

The album version of Carl Carlton's "Everlasting Love" is the same as th 45. I have them both.[/QUOTE]

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

KBBC in Phoenix, AZ was all over it. That's the station I mainly listened to in early 1975. And, by this time, "You're No Good" by Linda Ronstadt, and "The Express" by B.T. Express were also hitting high on the charts. And, another little hit I heard on the 'BBC station was:

The Bertha Butt Boogie - Part 1 - The Jimmy Castor Bunch

At the time I thought it was a GFR original. I had no idea it was from 1969.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  3. Grant

[/QUOTE]

Loss for words?:D

4. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Don't you mean the Original Soundtrack to " The Sting ". Was that 100%made up of Scott Joplin compositions repurposed as movie music? Including " YT he Entertainer/Theme From ' The Sting ' ", Marvin Hamish's 45 of which was a pretty substantial hit, if not a #1.

0TKOL'76, post: 19198288, member: 49411"]On the albums front.

The Top 10 selling albums of 1974 according to Billboard's YE Chart.

1. Elton John - Goodbye Yellowbrick Road

2. John Denver - John Denver's Greatest Hits

3. Wings - Band On The Run

4. Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

5. Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim

6. Various Artists/Soundtrack - American Graffiti

7. Gladys Knight & The Pips - Imagination

8. Charlie Rich - Behind Closed Doors

9. Ron Falson - The Sting

10. ZZ Top - Tres Hombres

Funny thing, Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side Of The Moon' came in at #11 for the year but would go on to be a bigger seller than all of these in the long run.[/QUOTE]

5. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...You seemed to have thought I said I heard Carlton's "Love " at a disco in 1974! I didn't.

rant, post: 19302203, member: 91"][/QUOTE]

Loss for words?:D[/QUOTE]

6. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...The OP for this digression, quoted here, appears to think Cher's solo career started with " Gypsies...".
    She had numerous solo releases in the 60s on Imperial, and at least one LP for Atco.

., post: 19200383, member: 3466"]There was one Cher solo album on Warners' which cover was placed directly below the cover of a Shelley Fabares album from her days on Colpix, in a late 1970's book of album covers; until I got it straight, I thought the bottom of the latter (with its "Hi Fidelity" and cat. # strip below) was part of the cover of the Cher LP. Observe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Alas, the effect here is ruined by the fact that the scans are not of the same size.)[/QUOTE]

7. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next is "Your'e No Good" by Linda Ronstadt, #1 from February 9 - February 15, 1975.

8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Loved this song and still do! What a great voice!

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

This was a flop here. I'm always writing that, aren't I? :) In fact, Linda only had one medium-sized hit in the UK throughout the seventies, and that would be a couple of years later.. I'm not sure when I first heard You're No Good, but it was possibly 2 or 3 years after it came out. I liked it instantly and was totally unfamiliar with the song, which I assumed was new.. I'd soon learn Linda didn't record a lot of 'new' songs.:D I grew fond of a few female singers in the mid-seventies.. The gal in my avatar, of course...Rita Coolidge, Karen Carpenter... Linda was another to add to the list. I always enjoyed her albums too. In fact, I remain a fan to this day. Anyway, You're No Good is classic Ronstadt. A strong song that she's all over like a rash.

10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Peter Asher and Andrew Gold are just as important to the success of YNG as Linda IMO. She's in glorious voice of course but the guitars and arrangement color the song as much as her singing. I knew some of her past work but considered her strong suit to be tearjerkers due to the tears in her singing style, probably a product of her Country roots. YNG gave her the Rock cred that had eluded her but surprisingly (for me), I prefer the more Country stuff on the album. It Don't Matter Anymore, Faithless Love, When Will I Be Loved and Heart Like A Wheel are even better listens though that's not a slam at YNG which is aces, too.

11. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Loved the song when it first came out - I definitely remember this song on the radio. Ronstadt seemed to come out of nowhere even though she had been around for a few years. I liked her records quite a bit, and owned a couple of her albums at the time but I can’t say I was a huge fan. However, I’ve come to appreciate her music a lot more as I got older. Now, I really love her music. Yes, she sang a lot of covers but they were great covers. She’s a great singer, great interpreter of songs, and made wonderful records. I can’t say enough good things about her.

BTW, I mentioned in an earlier post that I had a High School buddy who was a huge Olivia Newton-John fan. He hated Linda Ronstadt - I think he considered her Olivia’s rival. I had no bone in that fight - I liked both singers, but preferred Ronstadt.

sunspot42 and lightbulb like this.
  12. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

A Linda and Livvie catfight and you had no bone? :uhhuh:

Impressive.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Hoover Factory likes this.
  13. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Syd Barrett and David seem to be on a similar wavelength at times; I can totally see why his covers of Syd's Floyd stuff work so well.

Pin Ups is not an album I listen to very often as an album, but I find I sometimes get in the mood to listen to one or two tracks from it. By and large I like his alternate takes on these chestnuts, even if I (usually) like the originals better.

It is probably the album of his I listen to the least, but considering Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane and Man Who Sold the World are among my all-time favorites records, that's not too much of a diss.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. AppleBonker

Mandy

I'm a big fan of Kate Bush, and my favorite song of hers is the song that put her on the map, Wuthering Heights. But I've never been able to hear this song the same way since my brother pointed out that the chorus of this song bears a resemblance to Barry Manilow's Mandy. 'Oh Mandy... It's me, it's Kathy, I've come home...'

I suppose Manilow has some talent, but I'm no fan, that's for sure. Mandy is actually one of the better songs he does (probably my favorite of his if that means anything); but this is the guy who does a medley of commercial jingles that he wrote as part of his act. And what's worse, those jingles are among his more accomplished work.

So Mandy is OK, but when I Write The Songs comes on the radio, boy, stay out of my way, I will run you over to change the channel as quickly as possible. :) I mean really, 'I write the songs that make the whole world sing?' How stuck on yourself do you have to be to sing a lyric like that? Especially since he didn't even write the song, Bruce Johnston did (and anyway, what inspired Bruce Johnston of all people to think that he writes the songs that make the whole world sing?)

15. AppleBonker

Please Mr. Postman

Not a fan of the Carpenters, and as I mentioned earlier, IMO this one isn't a patch on the Beatles' cover or the Marvelettes' version. But do count me as a fan of Calling Occupants of yada yada. I like the Klaatu original, too.

Klaatu, now they were a weird band; Canadians who for a brief time were believed to be a secret reunion of the Fab Four. I don't hear it; but Ringo did appear on that one album cover dressed as Klaatu the movie character, so maybe that's what started that rumor. I still spin that compilation of theirs I bought a few Christmases ago, it's nothing incredible but fun.

[​IMG]

Klaatu barada nikto, I still remember to this day that you say that if the killer robot is about to destroy the world. I wasn't about to forget that when I saw that movie!

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  16. AppleBonker

Where is this thread heading?

Anyone who can't embrace camp will NOT be ready for the disco era, that's for sure! :righton:

Grant likes this.
  17. Grant

This song was most people's introduction to Linda Ronstadt. I had heard "Long, Long Time", on the local easy listening radio station prior to this, but never knew whom it was. In also never knew "You're No Good" was a cover until the 90s.

The immediate appeal of this song for me, upon hearing it on KBBC, was it's definite R&B flavor, her soulful singing, and that unusual ending. I think it was the absolute best choice of an obscure R&B song she, or her producer Peter Asher, ever made. I never get tired of hearing the song.

I don't care what hard-core Steve Hoffman fans think, I like the mastering on her "Just One Look" comp the most...in high-rez. I just dig that loud hitting the bell of the ride cymbal.

This song's so cool that someone created a separate thread about it a couple of weeks ago.

18. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Of all the covers Ms. Ronstadt did over her chart career, this is the only one I can really stand, her vocal abilities notwithstanding. With a swampy organ arrangement opening it, plus the particular beat and arrangement, it becomes obvious why this made it to the top. Her fame as the "Queen of Covers" seemed to have spawned a whole bunch of imitators, both male and female, for other labels to have as "their own" - Rita Coolidge at A&M, even James Taylor despite his being among those tabbed "singer-songwriters."

The label I have of this, is from the Winchester plant, with a low surface-noise rumble throughout thanks to the lathe used by A&M mastering engineer Bernie Grundman:
    [​IMG]
    From my understanding, the original of this was done by Dionne Warwick's sister (and produced by Leiber & Stoller, no less!), then there were covers by Betty Everett and The Swinging Blue Jeans . . .

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    sunspot42 likes this.
  19. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I had her 45 of "Heat Wave" and "Love is a Rose" when I was a kid...I loved both sides years before I knew anything about Motown or Neil Young.

20. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I was vaguely familiar with Linda Ronstadt because my brother owned the album Silk Purse and a 45 of Different Drum, but nothing prepared me for "You're No Good". What a tremendous song! And yeah, I agree that you have to credit Peter Asher for his great job of producing such a fine sounding record and Andrew Gold for his playing. Just about everything you hear on it (besides strings and the vocals) are AG. He and Linda made a great team.

Just might be my favorite #1 of the year. We'll have to see if anything else comes up to better it, but so far, this is the one to beat.

21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Three years previously, I loved Donny Osmond’s Puppy Love. Number one for 5 weeks in the UK.:) My mum said, “That’s an old song!”. Not to me. We had next to no pop records for me to educate myself on. So everything was new. What a wonderful time it was.:D

22. Grant

It seems like "You're No Good" resulted from a meeting with the record label, Linda, Asher, and her management, with the label telling them that they have to have a hit here. Well, They gave Capitol one, right before she signed with Asylum. Ouch!

23. ChrisScooter1

ChrisScooter1 Forum Resident

Another #1 where it’s hard for me to count the many, many things I love about this track. Love Linda and I love Andrew Gold’s work on this.

Here’s a neat interview with Andrew from Mike Bott’s (Studio and Bread drummer and eventually Linda’s drummer) about the production of the track. RIP Andrew and Mike.

24. Craigman1959

Craigman1959 Forum Resident

Never knew 'You're No Good' was a cover till this past weekend. I have to say Betty Everett's version is pretty darn good. And there's lots of other Linda songs I like better.

Damiano54 likes this.
  25. ChrisScooter1

ChrisScooter1 Forum Resident

The alignment didn’t quite work out, but shouldn’t have “Fire” ended up on page 666?