EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I will so testify; I bought both 45's when they were on the chart.

JcS

2. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

We don't know what we don't know...or something like that. I didn't know it until I got the ONE KISS LEADS TO ANOTHER box set about a dozen years ago.

As for Linda's version, I loved it at the time, and still do. However, I didn't buy it, maybe because I heard it enough on the radio to satisfy me. I know I wound up with it on A RETROSPECTIVE.

JcS

lightbulb and Grant like this.
  3. Craigman1959

Craigman1959 Forum Resident

Gonna see Mark Farner's American Band this weekend. Hope to hear both of these!

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

He wrote the song about Brian Wilson who actually did write the songs that made the whole world sing.

lightbulb and pablo fanques like this.
  5. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I don’t know when I learned “You’re No Good” was a cover but Linda’s version is great. I was already familiar with her any way b/c of her country hit “Silver Threads and Golden Needles” and her cover of “Desperado.” Her voice made a big impression on me and to this day she ranks with the best.

lightbulb and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  6. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Oh boy oh boy oh boy !!!

Pardon my excitement, it's just that "Peak Linda" has commenced, that period from 1975 - 1982 when an Tuscon gal in a peasant blouse (or satin bomber jacket and roller skates) started releasing music that set my heart aflame.

Yeah yeah, the Stone Poneys were cool and all that mostly country-flavored stuff in the first half of the decade was good, but "You're No Good" is where I really get on board.

It's her only #1 of the era (blasphemy!) but her other singles were such a constant part of the back half of the decade they might as well have been #1s as well.

And you gotta give it up for what Andrew Gold came up with here. That voodoo fade-out is a stroke of genius.

7. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

The arrangement and musicianship on this track are top notch.

8. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Actually, Ms. Ronstadt had already switched to Asylum (remember her Don't Cry Now LP from '73 which featured a cover of the Eagles' "Desperado"?), but owed Capitol one more album, from which Heart Like A Wheel emerged. And with "You're No Good," boy did they get their hit . . .

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

And to think Linda didn’t really like the records she made, or even consider herself a good singer in the 7os.:yikes:

Many years later, Reba McEntire did a decent version of You’re No Good on her Starting Over album.

Witchy Woman and Black Thumb like this.
  10. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I should have phrased that differently...Sometimes I type before I think. :)

Manapua and Black Thumb like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Olivia was always my favourite singer, but I recognised Linda was better. If that makes sense..

12. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

They both sing better than I do. Of course, everybody does, except possibly Biz Markie.

pablo fanques, Manapua, Grant and 2 others like this.
  13. Timothy Fiacco

Timothy Fiacco Captain Coconut

14. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Yes - it was (and still is?) a Gordon Ramsey cooking show.

That's why I was very careful in my wording. I was only speaking for myself.

If I had to guess, not a large percentage of men watch these shows. But I'm going any further than that.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Thanks for reminding me. A similar thing happened with Donna Summer with Polygram and Geffen in 1983.

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. Grant

Nope. A lot of men cook, you know! Most pro chefs are men.

Bruce M. likes this.
  17. Black Thumb

Here's Linda's RS cover from the time. She'll be on it again next year in the infamous red lingerie ... um, yeah, ahem ... where was I again?

[​IMG]

sunspot42, lightbulb and ronm like this.
  18. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Let me reword that. I'm talking about the population as a whole, and the percentage of men within that population.

There's a lot of people in this country. I also cook. There can be a lot of men chefs, and still not be (percentage-wise) that large.

===============================

My point in bringing this up, which is being lost here, was that ---- among the people who regularly post here, who knew "Fire" was on the credits of "Hell's Kitchen", besides you and me? I just noticed that no one else brought it up before I did, and was trying to come up with a reason why. Maybe that reasoning is bunk. I was just putting it out there as a test balloon.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  19. Grant

I've got no grievance with you. I'm just now curious to know exactly what the viewer demographics are on his cooking shows. How can we find that out?

20. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I found out "You're No Good" is a cover relatively late (in the 21st century). I heard it on a show called "The Many Moods of Ben Vaughn" which sometimes did entire shows of "original versions of big hits".
    The original that I heard was from around 1963.

When "You're No Good" was a hit, I was already familiar with both "Different Drum" and "Long Long Time" thanks to my sister.

Grant likes this.
  21. Grant

It looks like she's missing a molar.

pablo fanques likes this.
  22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I watch cooking shows from time to time but not Hell's Kitchen for the simple fact that I can't stand Gordon Ramsey.

Victor/Victrola likes this.
  23. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I've been (with my wife) watching The Great British Baking Show on PBS.

24. John22

John22 Forum Resident

Here is a detailed story about the song:

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/classic-track-you-re-no-good-linda-ronstadt-387624

sunspot42, Jrr, ChrisScooter1 and 2 others like this.
  25. Black Thumb

sunspot42 and pablo fanques like this.