Every UK #1 Single Of 1972 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

We have 5 more number ones until the end of 1972...

Sadly, 3 of them are what I’d class as novelty records..

2. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Mama weer all crazee now.

What does that record mean to me?
    I should own up and say that I run www.slayed.co.uk - a Slade fan site - so I am a little biased.
    It's one of their 'holy trinity' of superb singles (the others being Cum on feel the noize and Gudbuy T'Jane).
    Forget the Christmas song. This was what Slade were about. This song at full pelt, live with their roadies behind the back line, throwing toilet rolls into the crowd near the end of the show. That's what I will always remember.

Their greatest for me, though was Take me bak 'ome.

[​IMG]

3. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Typically understated performance, and Nod's mirror hat. Don hadn't wrapped his sticks in the criss-cross pattern here. I have a number of his wrapped broken sticks. They are surprisingly light (I use heavier) and he used to break one every couple of songs.

Except for the TOTP Merry Xmas performance, where you see Jim Lea laughing and Don, audibly pounding the toms out of time, the TOTPs videos do not do justice to how hard a hitter Don is.

When Noddy retired, I thought it so sad that we wouldn't hear his amazing voice, live anymore.

4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

This is the Slade now in their imperial phase.
    In 1972 Slade and T.Rex were in huge competition with each other. It was often said they realised that the same fans bought both bands singles, and so agreed to time their releases so they each had a chance of getting the no 1. Noddy denies this.
    A few months earlier Marc Bolan gave a Q&A to I think NME, and he was asked if he was worried about the competition. Bolan, cocky as ever, asked what competition? When the interviewer mentioned Slade, Bolan repeated what competition?

10 years later and Slade are big once again, and I happened to be friends with Jim Lea for a while. We often spoke about Bolan and T.Rex (Jim was also a huge fan) and he told be that what Bolan said in that Q&A upset him so much that he was determined to beat him to no 1.
    And of course with this single they did it.
    Of course Children Of The Revolution is a brilliant single as well, but Bolan was now up again Slade and then David Cassidy. A year previous he had the field pretty much to himself...

5. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Classic stomper from Slade. I always preferred three minutes of this stuff, rather than the so-called 'serious' musos and their 20 minute snoozeathons.

6. Randoms

I remember the toilet rolls and Dave standing on the big cube from Reading 1980 - a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!

7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I was never that fond of Gudbuy T' Jane at the time, but strangely over the past few months I have grown to love it.
    The only Slade record I don't like is Get Down And Get With It, I loathe it and always have...

8. Randoms

I somehow ended up with both the Slade and T.Rex singles. I love Slade, but Children Of The Revolution, is also fabtastic. What amazing singles we had back then.

Northernlight, bob60 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. 12stringbassist

Listen to the Salvo remaster of Beginnings / Play it loud, where GD&GWI is a bonus track. It sounds immense all of a sudden.

Gudbuy T'Jane was always far better live than on record.

10. Mama Weer All Crazee Now
    A brilliant single, but if I'm pushed I prefer Take Me Bak Ome'. Probably because its not been played so much over the years.
    Simple...catchy & Rockin'.
    5/5

Northernlight, richarm, bob60 and 3 others like this.
  11. 12stringbassist

How to hear Mama weer all crazee now.
    Complete with bog rolls.

12. Bobby Morrow

On a slightly related now, this is the review for the Slayed? album which would be released towards the end of the year. I’m not sure if it’s from NME or Record Mirror... Seems a bit ‘light’ for the former. Anyway, it’s not my scan so I didn’t draw all over it.:)

[​IMG]

13. 12stringbassist

Ouch. That reviewer clearly didn't get it.

Randoms likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

No. The review for Old New Borrowed & Blue from NME isn’t much better...

Randoms and 12stringbassist like this.
  15. 12stringbassist

We shouldn't veer too far off topic, but...
    My own thoughts on ONB&B is that is was a rag-bag collection of leftovers, hastily thrown together in the immediate wake of Don's accident, without Dave Hill's involvement in half of it, as he inexplicably buzzed off to Mexico to get married during the recording sessions, leaving Nod and Jim to play his parts...

Northernlight and Randoms like this.
  16. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Wow Bob, that Amazon review’s not far wrong. That is a shockingily dire selection and is no way representative of most people’s 70s. Yes, there’s some gems included (discuss) but that’s what I put on if I wanted people to go home.....

Randoms likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

ONB&B is my favourite Slade album.:laugh:

The album will probably get a mention as Slade will feature strongly in this thread over the next year at least. Aside from their chart toppers, I’ll give their top 5 hits some attention too.

Yam Graham and Silksashbash like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Sounds were a bit kinder to Slayed?

[​IMG]

19. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The text type is Imperial with Bold - an Intertype 'face used starting July 3, 1967 as the text type for The New York Times. The Times usually used 8.5 point, though some articles started with 9 point.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. That's because Sounds weren't as pretentious as NME or Record Mirror.

Slayed is a great album...they all are upto and including Whatever Happened To Slade?

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

I don’t think Record Mirror was pretentious... It was far more pop friendly than NME, MM and Sounds.

duggan and bob60 like this.
  22. Agreed.
    Sounds favoured Rock tho over MM & NME.

23. duggan

duggan Senior Member

One of them is a Saturday Night, with friends, classic.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I bought Record Mirror every single week for well over 10 years and it most definitely was not pretentious. It was a pop paper and never tried to be anything but...

Randoms, duggan and Bobby Morrow like this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

I wish they was a website that had Record Mirror articles and reviews. I’ve been looking for one for years..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.