Everybody Loves Raymond

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerryb, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member Thread Starter

I was never a fan of the show when it ran on tv but lately I've been watching some of the reruns. They seem to be on cable everywhere all day and night. Is it just me or does Ray's wife on the show seem like a bad matchup? There are scenes where she looks 10 years older than Ray does. They just don't go together well onscreen.

2. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

She was pregnant a couple of times during the series, so that would have accounted for her looking "older"...

3. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I'd say 8 out of every ten people I know who have seen the show say the same thing...they can't stand it because Ray is an absolute idiot and it's frustrating and the wife is a complete bitch. And I agree with both sentiments, although, I've never found the show to be intolerable.

But anyway, they're a bad matchup in more ways than one.

paulisdead likes this.
  4. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I thought the show was funny as heck, because even though they wrote her as a bitch, they always made a point to lampoon ALL of the adults in this to take them off their high horse. Not all shows do that.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I discovered it after ignoring it until the last season, then watched as many reruns as I could until I caught up. I liked it, yes, everyone hates Pat Heaton's character, and yes she can be a bitch at times, but beyond that the characters were very well portrayed, the writing was pretty good and funny is funny.

6. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I never cared for her when the show ran on primetime, but me being a decade older now, she looks quite fine in some episodes, not so much in others.

7. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

I love the show, but she never appeared all that much older than Ray to me. I thought she was quite attractive. Sometimes the show got repetitive, but for me it's like House... the storyline wasn't quite as good as how it was played out, and ELR did have some genuinely different sort of storylines.

8. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Not a popular thing to admit if you want to appear "cool", but ELR was a great show. Yeah, Debra was bitchy at times, but if you had the mother-in-law from hell living across the street from you, you'd be crabby, too. Not to mention a husband who wasn't much of a help with things.

Jarleboy and EdgardV like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love the show...got the complete series box set in the "House" packaging...

Peter Boyle is just wonderful!

10. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

I was never a real big fan of the show, but I watched it solely for Rays brother and Father.

11. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Not everyone loves Raymond, I can tell you! :shake:

12. jawilshere

jawilshere Forum Resident

Love the show! Live the next town over from Ray's hometown of Lynbrook in a mother/daughter house with my in-laws. I can relate!

13. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Another lover of the show. Peter Boyle is sorely missed. I couldn't handle living across the street from my parents/in laws however. That would get old VERY fast.

14. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I never did like the show that much. I do like that episode where Robert dances, Sherri Shepherd's in it, hilarious.

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yeah, it's weird. She looks very attractive is some seasons, and not attractive at all in others. The short hair seasons were atrocious. That short crop made her look way older and less feminine.

I don't usually watch the show anyway, but my three school-age kids are in love with it. They watch it constantly it seems.

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

It's all about these two.

Without them, no show.

17. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Like some here, I didn't see it when it was originally airing, for the most part. All I can say is, although some of the situations are barely plausible, what it has to say about the dynamics of marriage is eye-opening and funny...in a sad way.

A good friend of mine goes as far to say that people considering getting married should watch this show before they walk down the aisle.

IMO, not every show is a riot, but a lot of them are, and Patricia Heaton has always looked OK to me.

Dan

18. live evil

live evil Senior Member

This took the place of Seinfeld for me once that show ended its run.
    I loved ELR.
    The funniest part is Ray is a dork, but he had a dream job and a fairly hot wife.
    Peter Boyle was worth a half hour of my life each week hands down.

19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I just saw the episode where Ray, as a futon delivery man, met his future wife for the first time. I don't know, Patricia Heaton looks very good in that one.

The ultimate ELR episode had to be the one where Robert went to interview for the FBI....and as you guess it....his mom proceeded to ruin his interview.

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I distinctly remember that one too! She looked very pretty.

21. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Wasn't there an episode with a super hot female aerobics instuctor? That is the main thing I remember about the show.

22. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I think I am watching some kind of ELR marathon on TV Land right now. How Ray's wife can keep herself from killing her mother-in-law is beyond me :D

EdgardV likes this.
  23. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

She certainly wasn't a stellar choice casting wise. I never watched the show at all until I saw a rerun in which Marie decides to take a crack at sculpting. (No pun intended). :winkgrin:

Anyone familiar with that episode?

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Wasn't in truth a great fan of the show until I was incapacitated after an op about a year back and ended up watching it. Really enjoyed now I like to watch the re runs if I can or have the time

25. I always catch a few reruns on long distance flights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.