Everybody Loves Raymond

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerryb, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I want to buy the complete series on DVD, where is the best price and how does it look on a 16:9 television. I know it is not widescreen, it is recorded in a 4:3 aspect ratio, but is it just windowpaned or is it double letterboxed and windowpaned as well? How is the transfer?

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Family Guy summed it up quite nicely when they depicted Deborah nagging and bitching at Raymond, to which Raymond replies: "I don't care, Deborah... after nine seasons, I just DON'T CARE anymore."

Pretty accurate synopsis of the entire series.... Deb gets mad at Ray, Ray stumbles around trying to make Deb happy again. Yawn.

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

5. larryk

larryk Senior Member

I believe that Pat slipped on the floor after dropping the turkey. Couldn't hold onto the bird and kept slipping on the floor. Finally picked it up, threw it into the oven and slammed the door.

The audience howled. The slip up was unplanned but she and Ray ran with it and here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMuhSKP9Hco

6. nesboy43

nesboy43 Forum Resident

I really loved this show, watching the new episodes in the mid 2000s when I was younger with my parents could be slightly awkward though depending on the subject matter I would sometimes find ways to leave the room early. I really thought it was a brilliant show because while it showcased a dysfunctional family, they did an excellent job at it unlike most shows. The characters seemed pretty real to me, maybe slightly exaggerated but nothing too crazy.

Peter Boyle is my favorite though for sure.

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  9. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Very sad.

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  10. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I never saw the show but this is terrible news. So young.

11. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I wasn't a fan originally, but the show has grown on me since I love watching it along with my girlfriend. I really like Brad Garrett as Robert. It got to the point where I bought the complete series on DVD.

12. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

One thing... I really think Patricia Heaton is cute as can be, but what's with her always folding her arms and glaring in disapproval? It's like she's got only ONE move as a performer.

Jerryb likes this.
  13. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This news was quite shocking and sad.

14. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Oh wow... I didn't know at the time I made my last post. I'm just learning about it now. Very shocking news.

15. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Sorry to hear about Sweeten's passing. Big fan of the show here. The thing that took the most getting used to for me was how often the show would come to a standstill while the audience's laughter went on and on. In a few cases the laughter continues for what seems like a minute or more (one being the fly-eating episode). That threw me off a bit at first.

But as far as Debra being a bitch, well, yeah -- that's a big part of the show's comedy. If she had remained the sweet, nice woman she was in the first couple of (lame) seasons, I doubt I would have become a fan.

16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Family Guy nailed it with this bit:

Debra: "Ray, your mother just insulted my...."
    Ray: [interrupting] "I don't care, Patty. I don't care. After 9 seasons, I just don't care. Maybe you could try NOT being a bitch?"

;)

Mark E. Moon and Mister Charlie like this.
  17. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I think this is the only episode of this show that I actively hate. It was just so dumb. Obviously the family were caricatures of real people, but this was way over the top for the mostly-grounded-in-reality show that it was.

Really sad about Sawyer. I feel like we practically watched him, his brother, and their sister grow up on that show.

18. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yeah Pat Heaton was very cute in Raymond but her character was quite bitchy at times - but then living across the road from Marie will do that! Except the kids every character in that show was a jerk/bitch in at least one episode. I liked Robert but boy he could be an A grade jerk.

Anyway this is very sad news - will be hard to watch ELR in the future without thinking about it.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Have you met Ray, Marie and Frank?

eddiel likes this.
  20. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

No, I understand the bitchiness ... what I'm talking about is her always standing around with her arms folded. :)

21. Monosterio

Because she knew where you were looking. :winkgrin:

22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Ok - I see what you mean.

I can't see how someone could hate the fly episode (She's The One) - most fans rank that one very highly if not #1.Much of the love is to do with the great ending but it's a hilarious episode.

And then she ATE IT!!!

Monosterio likes this.
  23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I always thought it was weird how plain-looking she was in episode one, then at some point later in the series she became very attractive.

24. Monosterio

Seriously? You thought she was less attractive when the series began?

25. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Sorry, not a fan.

I couldn't stand the show personally. I found it mean spirited, dated and cynical. It was embarrassingly sexist against both men and women - reducing each character to the worst kind of cliches and archetypes.

Trashman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.