Everyone have their RCA LIVING STEREO SACDs yet? Better grab 'em! Leontyne Price...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 22, 2009.

1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This was in the latest batch I bought. Listening to it now. Very, very nice!

Inner ear likes this.
  2. Is there a way to watch a thread without first posting in it?

3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I'm pretty sure this is the last day for the sale. Rhapsodies and Mahler Sym. 4 are now out of stock again. The few that I don't have that are still available are Berlioz: Harold In Italy/Overtures, Berlioz: Requiem,
    Mahler: Song of the Earth, Tchaikovsky: Pathetique
    Anyone favor any of these?

4. Vinylfindco

Just Listened to Artur Rubinstein playing the Beethoven Sonatas. This is one of the best discs I've heard so far! Much better than the original vinyl, and that is superb.
    By the way the sale was still on this morning.

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  5. Vinylfindco

I just went back to B&N and the sale is over and prices have returned to normal (9.49). Hope everyone was able to get a few at the sale! Enjoy!

superstar19 and Inner ear like this.
  6. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Yes, thanks for the posts last weekend. I ended up ordering 8 titles. Wasn't able to get the Stokowski Rhapsodies disc, but these will definitely hold me over. UPS tracking tells me I should have them tomorrow.

7. Vinylfindco

Acoustic Sounds still has the Rhapsodies disc (RCA SACD) for 11.99. They also have Reiner Don Quixote on its own for 35.00, but also included in a 5pk set for 49.95! Good deal if you don't have some of the other titles, I think Spain, Schubert, Spanish Guitar, and Double Concertos.

8. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Looks like I procrastinated too long and missed the sale again...

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Missed it too! Didn't know that was happening. I don't browse B&N too often.

Do they do anything around Black Friday like that?

10. Vinylfindco

As far as I know, looking at past years comments in this thread, they only do the 40% off classical sacd sale from about the 20th of Sept to the 5th of October, so mark your calendar for next year.

11. van1

van1 Forum Resident

I picked up about 9* of the sacd's (not from B&N) and am really enjoying these. I'm tempted to get the red book 60 cd living stereo box set so that I can dip my toe a little further into the classical world, Does anyone have any links to good on-line prices for this?

thanks

* Also Sprach Zarathustra, New World Symphony, Pictures at an exhibition, Leontyne price 'arias', Madama Butterfly, Daphnis at chloe, Scheherazade, Bolero, Rhapsody in Blue,

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  12. van1

van1 Forum Resident

So I just received a Bartok 'sacd' from a seller off ebay and as noted below it comes in a regular jewel case with no sacd markings or logo on the top right hand corner. I'm guessing if I open it I will find the regular cd version? It has the bar code 8 28766 13902 0 on the back which is what appears on the sa-cd review site, it also says 2013 Sony Music NY.

Can anyone with the sacd confirm the bar code number 82876613902 or 828766139020? I'm trying to see what the bar code should be for the sacd. Is this similar to the rolling stones where the same bard code was used for sacd's and then regular (dsd) cds?

thanks

13. Vinylfindco

I finally returned mine so I can't say, .... But that is the CD VERSION DRESSED LIKE THE SACD. Whoever made that decision to market the CD in a package with the SACD series artwork is incompetent!
    I wonder sometimes that with this being a hard to get title, it's being bootlegged. I can't imagine BMG/Sony would do this, and if so where are the rest of them? Why just this one title (that were aware of). I think it's much easier to duplicate a CD than an SACD, right? Kinda fishy. By the way, mine was defective as well so proceed with caution. I would return it.

14. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

My SACD is 82876613902. SACD jewel case. Front insert says SUPER AUDIO CD in the upper right; rear insert has the DSD, SACD, and compactDISC logos in the upper right.

15. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Yes, that is the bar code number on the SACD version. So they re-used the same number for the CD version.

That's the problem, and that's the reason so many are getting the CD when they try to order the SACD. With so many different editions of the same recordings available on CD, retailers really only have the bar code number to go by these days.

16. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

I just took a quick look at Amazon and they have merchants stating that it is a CD-R! And are manufactured on Demand. I know that some movie studios have DVD's that they sell on Demand but never heard of a music company doing that..

I have the Sony Boulez/NY Phil multi-channel SACD but that one is kind of hard to find also.

17. van1

van1 Forum Resident

So it looks like the 2013 Sony music ny cd version has an extra 0 on the end of the barcode 828766139020 compared to the sacd, the 2013 should also be helpful but still very confusing for sellers (and buyers).

I just ordered a vg used copy so fingers crossed

18. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Sony has been doing it for some time with their budget titles of Percy Faith, Mitch Miller, etc... They've changed the colouring of the CD front insert without actually stating that it's a CD-R. Amazon uses the same listing as the old CD which creates a lot of confusion. For anything that is now sold as CD-R on sites like Amazon, I go strait the the second hand market just to make sure that I get a genuine CD.

Original Release

[​IMG]

Recent CD-R switcheroo

[​IMG]

bluemooze and PhantomStranger like this.
  19. Vinylfindco

Today I discovered my roommates DVD player also plays SACD, and as I haven't yet heard the SACD layer, I borrowed it and hooked it up. I heard the Reiner Pictures disc. My first SACD experience and it was very good!

PhantomStranger and Simon A like this.
  20. 8pelletier

8pelletier Well-Known Member

(i guess i should log in more often and not just browse as a guest)

so i did end up getting an *sacd* of the bartok/reiner disc.
    on my 3rd try, from the japanese vendor i alluded to (via amazon's marketplace) .
    interestingly, it was an old-style, cd-type jewel box, not the new type of sacd jewel-box.
    but it had all the "proper" sacd/dsd markings on it.

this is quite curious indeed.

p.s.: if anyone wants it, i could post the disc's upc and any other number printed on the, er, sleeve.

21. Vinylfindco

That is curious. Glad you snagged one.

22. gamma goochee

gamma goochee Forum Resident

I've been picking these up whenever and wherever I can. I have a few that have an "REI" appended to the catalogue number. Anyone have any idea what this means?

23. I believe that REI means reissue.

24. gamma goochee

gamma goochee Forum Resident

It occurred to me that that could be a possibility. Can I ask why it is you believe that? Just curious.

25. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

I recently purchased the Reiner Bartok SACD and I have to say that for a recording made in 1955 and recorded many years before I was born, it sounds great. It's also nice to read about how Reiner had involvement in getting Bartok the commission to write the concerto.

I am glad that Steve started this thread so that I could shake off any doubts that I had about some weird, tin sounding or worse "hole in the middle" stereo recording. All of the recordings I have picked up so far in the Living Stereo series have been very good and are easily recommended.

Simon A likes this.