Everyone have their RCA LIVING STEREO SACDs yet? Better grab 'em! Leontyne Price...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

[​IMG]

2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I've had Boheme & Traviata on my Amazon wish list for a few years. Still hoping to get them for a good price.

nwdavis1 and Galley like this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Good luck with that.

nwdavis1 and mmars982 like this.
  4. I know this doesn't make your search any easier but those are some of the best Living Stereo SACDs.

Galley likes this.
  5. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I was able to snag sealed copies of both on eBay this year for $18 to $24 each, which is a good price considering both are 2-disc sets. So check eBay. I think you can do pretty well there.

mmars982 and ToEhrIsHuman like this.
  6. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Yep, That's about the going rate when they are at normal auction and not much more than when they were new. The Buy-It-Now prices on eBay and Amazon Seller prices are not realistic. Like most physical media the cost will drop even further, demand is low on these, the key is patience.

La Boheme in my opinion is an excellent performance, maybe even one for the ages. My feeling is the Living Stereo La Traviata is more for a completist. Perhaps I feel that way as I'm more of a Puccini fan...?

mmars982 and Simon A like this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Are any of this series available at deepdiscount.com or importcds.com? I see some still at Amazon. I have maybe 20, but thought I'd grab any still available cheaply during one of the sales if I could. I just don't seem to be able to find any I've searched for at the above retailers. I do still see some at Amazon, and not just from third party resellers.

8. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

https://www.deepdiscount.com/search?mod=AC&ft=SACD&lb=RCA

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. Barnes & Noble used to heavily carry this line. You might want to check their website. I'm not sure if they still run their annual classical sale, these were always discounted during it at Barnes & Noble.

11. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I think that sale is end of August into the start of September if I recall.

cakeordeath likes this.
  12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

So as to not derail the OP's Beethoven 9th thread on mastering details I'll continue the discussion @ricks and I were having in another thread. @ricks (or I see @rjstauber also discussed this disc earlier in the thread) do you mind posting the mastering details on the poor sounding Charles Munch Beethoven 9th CD you have? Or maybe even a small sample?

I'm at my other place until midweek, I will give this another listen and post the details from the Charles Munch box. I have to agree with Roland that this is not one of RCA's better recordings and I hear a flat stereo stage (like you would get with speakers close against the front wall) on a few of their very early stereo recordings, but I still think this sounds ok and I certainly prefer hearing this in stereo over mono. It is just not up to the lofty standards that RCA set with the stereo recordings discussed with these BMG SACDs.

13. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Seeing your post for first time today. Have to find where I stored the disc. If-when I do will post some samples.

For new collectors; A word about the Bream Spanish Guitar SACD, I feel it's the worst of the lot. It has defects on it not present on the 90's CD and just sounds off overall. For much better sound quality go for the 90's Living Stereo CD instead.

Donniej and Simon A like this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Sounds good, I didn't listen to that Munch Beethoven 9 since making that post :hide:

Here are the mastering credits from the booklet from the box set "Charles Munch The Complete RCA Album Collection" (this pertains specifically to the Beethoven 9th CD)- transferred from the original analog tapes by Brett Zinn, Iron Mountain Digital Studios, mixed and mastered by Martin Kistner, Hansjorg Seiler & Matthias Erb, b-sharp Music and Media Solutions using 24/192 technology.

I was streaming Nelsons' Beethoven 9 recently so I'm not really in the mood to hear this again. If you want some times from movements where we could coordinate so our samples match up I can do that too, maybe some passages that go from forte to fortissimo or where you hear clipping? Will get some waveforms up as well. This will take me a day or two.

15. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I complete my collection of all 54 this summer. The opera discs were hard to find. La Traviata cost me $42 in like new condition. It took me a year to find one for that price that wasn’t a cut-out!

16. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I found this to be true on several of these, but kept it to myself as I was known as a heretic of sorts, gathering the ire and wrath of many a decade ago.

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Think I'll play the Blue Album today, see how my Audio Fidelity stuff handles it..

hvbias, mmars982 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  18. Which album are you referring to?

19. Steve Hoffman

Post number one in this thread, written by me.

Shvartze Shabbos and hvbias like this.
  20. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Great idea! Sunday is a good day to hear Leontyne Price! I'll have to spin the vinyl though, no disc player at the moment.

21. Understood. I have the entire series. Great suggestion for a Sunday night. Thanks, Steve.

22. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I purchased quite a few. My first purchased disc of the series blew me away with the sound and performance of Van Cliburn. It seemed this album was in the home of my parents friends and relatives, including mine.
    BTW, I still have the copy of the one at home as a kid. No wonder I later found out that is was a tremendous classical album hit!

"Cliburn's recording of the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 went platinum. That was the first million-selling classical album in chart history."

Remembering Van Cliburn, A Giant Among Pianists And A Cold War Idol

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  23. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

Listening to this one again...still a wonderful sonic experience.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Steve Hoffman

Reiner was cool.

25. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

Indeed and I like the coupling of "Song of the Nightingale" on this issue as well.

yenyen and audiomixer like this.