Evil Dead 2013 starts this Friday!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Larry Mc, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

That look comes from using digital color grading (aka color timing). The director was pointing out that no CGI was used for special effects and/or gore sequences.

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I put this in the category with the remakes of Psycho or Halloween, how dare they.

3. progrocker71

Raimi already remade it as Evil Dead II. :D

JohnG likes this.
  4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Really? I thought the trailer looked pretty gory....

5. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

The first five minutes or so, yeah. But then it becomes its own bloody, goofy thing. :thumbsup:

I'm gonna watch Evil Dead 2 with the commentary on because, dammit, it's great.

6. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Gus Van Sant's Psycho remake was utterly pointless to me. I just didn't understand why it was shot-for-shot. It's a cool experiment, I suppose, but that's all.

Rob Zombie's Halloween wanted to shove Michael Myers' troubled childhood backstory down our throats. Hated that, hated the actors (except Malcom McDowell), hated the execution of the murders, hated the movie.

hi_watt and JohnG like this.
  7. JohnG

Yep, two examples of pointless remakes just for the sake of a remake. I would guess this will be in that category too since I'm not hearing anything special about the new one.
    I hate that one day I may actually watch this one (as I love the original and it's Part 2so much). Even the third one Army Of Darkness (which is outside the woods genre) is a lot of fun with Bruce Campbell really having a blast.

ReadySteady likes this.
  8. JohnG

And Raimi did a great job, #2 is even more fun that number one.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think 3 is better than 2 and 2 is better than 1. Probably the only trilogy about which I feel that way!

dhoffa85 likes this.
  10. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

I would tell Mr Zombie not quit his dayjob but he sucks at that these days too.

Other sacred horror remakes;
    My Bloody Valentine - The only positive thing I remember about it was there were some nice boobs on display.
    Friday the 13th - not a patch on the first 3 or 4 movies but miles better than all the subsequent ones.
    Texas Chain Saw Massacre - actually pretty good, but still not fit to lick the boots of the original. Plus they were clearly not thinking into the future when they had Leatherface get his arm cut off.
    It's Alive! - stopped watching after ten minutes, thanked God I was watching it for free on tv.
    A Nightmare On Elm Street -I have not watched but have heard it is abominable.
    The Last House on the Left - Somone needs to tell Wes Craven that if he were to look into the world of sleazy 70's grindhouse flicks his movie is quite tame by comparison. The remake did a good job of improving on the bloated reputation of the original.

I've been hearing rumors for over a decade about a Scanners remake in the works, guess the execs finally saw the light and abandoned the project.

hi_watt likes this.
  11. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Ugh, the Elm Street remake was beyond the pale. I can't imagine anyone preferring it to the original.

Friday the 13th was kind of enjoyable, but as you said, not a patch on the first four (or part 6).

Chainsaw was a decent remake, and I did enjoy R. Lee Ermey's character quite a bit, but the original is such a classic that I don't think anything could surpass it.

I don't remember much about My Bloody Valentine, except that I know I preferred the original.

Last House on the Left wasn't very memorable to me, either, but then again I wasn't too impressed with the original.

I've had the good fortune of not seeing the It's Alive! remake.

12. progrocker71

The only horror remake in recent years that I actually really enjoyed was "The Crazies", thought they did a great job with that one.

Dudley Morris and JohnG like this.
  13. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

HAHA! I posted the same thing at blu-ray.com's board about it not being gory and have been accused of being a troll. It reminds me of when I pointed out on release day how bored I was with Nolan's The Dark Knight and was accused of the same thing. Fanboys are really sad.

14. As I've said before, someone ought to remake Romero's Martin, too. Interesting idea marred by sketchy acting and lousy editing.

Anyway, I re-watched the original Evil Dead, and while it has all sorts of problems owing to its low budget and inexperienced cast and crew, there's no question that Sam Raimi has it all over Fede Alvarez as a director, and the original has better sound design too. One of the problems I had with the remake is that Alvarez doesn't show much of a knack for amping up tension, which even as a 21 year old punk is something Raimi had in spades. I still liked it fine, though. Let's say 6/10.

One advantage of the remake: you don't have people who should be freaking out staying still as the practical effects are applied to them. :)

15. It's the number 1 film this weekend

16. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

There is no CGI in it.

hi_watt likes this.
  17. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Did any of you stay for the after credit scenes? Doesn't it reveal something that's actually important to this whole "remake" situation?

18. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

After the credits you see Bruce Campbell's face and he says "groovy". It is modern Campbell so I don't know why it was even there.

19. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Lousy editing? Low budget issues notwithstanding, I'd argue that Martin is one of the most thoughtful and inventive genre films of the 70s, and the pacing and construction of the sequence where Martin deals with an unexpected boyfriend of an intended victim is absolutely masterful.

20. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Obviously just a quick and harmless nod to the existing fans. Is that such an issue?

21. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW!

So wouldn't it make this "remake" an actual sequel? Also, aren't they writing Evil Dead 4 now? Could have sworn I read it the other week.

22. In an interview cited on Wikipedia, the director mentioned that it may well be more of a sequel than a remake, depending on how you want to interpret things.

23. JohnG

Wow, real weak weekend for movies.

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

My son and I saw it. It was a very good modern horror film, but I admit I didn't enjoy it much. The original is just so wonderful.

This update was indeed very, very gory. Hard to believe this gets an R-rating when it's 500% more gory than films that barely got by with an "R" 30 years ago. Also, I had trouble accepting the lead girl. I know her so well from "Suburgatory" I couldn't see past her as Tessa.

25. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Finally saw it this weekend. Possible spoilers below but I'll try not to delve in too deep.

It was pretty gory. Now I've seen heavy gore before, but this was "linger on the shot and let you take it all in" gory - I found myself squirming in my chair a bit on a few shots (which was cool! Usually I don't do that). If this wasn't CGI then they did a pretty bang-up (no pun intended) job as there were shots where I would think they could have only pulled it off with CGI.

Was it a modern masterpiece? Nope. But I went in with low expectations and because of that it was entertaining. I also liked picking out the references to the older movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.