Exactly 51 years ago, us kids started watching the Monkees on NBC. I feel old.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Interesting facts,courtesy Wiki,that CBS had four of the top ten shows of the week just on their Monday block:
    7:30/8:30(against The Monkees)-Gunsmoke,8:30-9-Lucy Show,9-9:30-Andy Griffith and 9:30-10-Family Affair. The last show for the evening(also premiered the same night when The Monkees started)-10-11-Carol Burnett.

2. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I jumped on board during the first major resurgence. 1985? 1986?

Even during this time, most places just carried Arista product and you had to go to a "hip" store to find the Rhino stuff.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I was just five but my big sister was totally into them. I really liked that show. I could watch those mid sixties shows the rest of my life and be totally content. I remember the Banana Splits on Saturday morning and American Bandstand in the afternoon. Good time to be a kid.

Suncola likes this.
  4. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I recall watching thinking these guys are goofy...but at times, I couldn't shut it off. Hehe Frank Zappa appearing was a high point.

elaterium likes this.
  5. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

By Winter you could watch The Monkees, Mr Terrific, then Captain Nice.

6. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

As a Beatles fan, I remember dismissing them as a pre-manufactured ripoff. But I thought the show was funny! I like them now in hindsight.

SandAndGlass and forthlin like this.
  7. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

The Carol Burnett Show didn't air until September 1967.

8. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Thanks! It was one of the best decisions I ever made in my younger days.

Good lord, LL can be intense. I don't feel bad about my decision, I still hold the Monkees in high regard, cool to see those shows then.

Hep Alien and O Don Piano like this.
  9. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Yep...WPIX out of NYC did the same in '77, and that's how I discovered the show...loved it.

O Don Piano likes this.
  10. Being a car guy, the Monkeemobile was always of interest to me, being the coolest vehicle on TV. I had the privilege of seeing the Monkeemobile in it's first public showing after restoration in Las Vegas as well as meeting George Barris. It was parked next to Batmobile #2, which had been restored the year before after being removed from the Petersen Museum. George still had Batmobile #1 stored at his place, unrestored. The cool fact about the Monkeemobile was that it was made from the 1966 GTO which Larry Hagman drove in I Dream Of Jeanie. The supercharger popping out of the hood was a fake shell covering the stock 4-barrel carburetor.

11. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I loved the show, tried not to ever miss it week to week. I loved the music too, except for most of the Davy songs even then. Mike was always my favorite and still is. I couldn't ever understand why they had him wearing that heavy-warm winter hat all the time though. I hated those double button shirts, and even as a kid it made no sense to me how a perpetually struggling and poor band would have such an awesome car. But it was easy to overlook those aspects for all the happy positive aspects.

Upsiditus and Hep Alien like this.
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

A show almost too great for words. I still watch it and love it.

Suncola likes this.
  13. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

My confesssion
    When More Of The Monkees was released I was so excited but didn't have money to buy it.
    I think I was 13 at the time.
    A friend from school and I came up with a sure proof plan to shoplifting two copies from the local department store.
    Our plan was to purchase one of the store shopping bags and nonchalantly mosey over to the record department.
    Then we would casually walk towards an exit door, put the records in the bag and run for our lives.
    Guess who held the bag.
    As we are running through the exit, two undercover store detectives grab me.
    I didn't know my friend could run so fast..he got away.
    They took me into a room and scared the bejesus out of me.
    Called my parents who were really impressed with me.
    I can say, I have never stolen another thing in my life.
    After a couple of weeks of being on my best behavior, my Mom bought the record for me.
    Glen

14. xios

xios Senior Member

I was 12. I liked the music. I thought the comedy was weak. I did watch most episodes, though.

Rfreeman likes this.
  15. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Used to watch the reruns in the early 80s. Had no idea it was not a current show at the time. One of my earliest albums was Monkees Greatest Hits. Have not watched the actual TV show in years though.

16. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Believe it or not I had the same experience age 11.

Steve Litos likes this.
  17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I wish Davy Jones was still alive and that Mike would rejoin The Monkees again.

18. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Loved the show when it aired at Easter (March) 1967 on Swedish TV. Back then we only had one TV channel in Sweden so all the kids watched the show and loved it. The concept of music and funny, crazy, young guys was totally new for us. Monkees and Bonanza was my favourites back then.

19. rsulzinger

rsulzinger Forum Resident

Totally influenced. Had to buy a Neru shirt, and wear my thick belt with the big buckle over to the side, just like they did.
    [​IMG]

20. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

That Preminger-esque character actor with the shaved head in the debut episode -Theo Marcuse- was EVERYWHERE on '60s tv and always looked like he was straight outta The Twilight Zone (which, he was in a couple of times!):eek:...but, surprisingly: he was a decorated WW2 vet -Naval, I think- and, sadly, died in an auto accident in 1967 after his appearance in the Star Trek TOS episode "Catspaw".

Ginger Ale likes this.
  21. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I remember it well. I was a sophomore in high school and had to race through my homework in order to watch the show. It was campy in some ways but still entertaining.

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I was 14 and a huge fan from the very start. Me and a buddy never missed an episode. I don't feel old though.

23. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Loved The Monkees songs on the radio. Never got much beyond that. Liked the cool car they had. Can't say I ever watched more than a few episodes. May have been because we got three channels and had one TV.

24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Davy's appearance on The Brady Bunch and in The BB Movie though...

:love: :drool:

25. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Yes, it was 51 years ago when I refused to watch this silly show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.