Exactly 51 years ago, us kids started watching the Monkees on NBC. I feel old.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. readr

readr Forum Resident

.....and 31 years since MTV reignited Monkeemania!
    .....for those 2nd generation fans.....like me. Listened
    to Missing Links (vol. 1) today.

RobRoyF, Hep Alien and Bryan Harris like this.
  2. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Now THAT really makes me feel old, and I was a first generation fan, but didn't see them live until 1986.

3. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I would agree if SH had said something to the effect that he loved watching the show, but he didn’t.

4. Django

Django Forum Resident

I watched the reruns in the 80s.

5. swedwards1960

swedwards1960 Forum Resident

It hardly serves as criticism, nor does it even make sense. Someone tried to force him to watch and he “refused”? How did he know it was silly if he refused to watch it?
    I don’t care if someone criticizes the band or the show, but at least put in a little effort .

6. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it was in my weekly line up of favorite shows...seems like another world. I am grateful to have those memories.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

comes with the territory. : )

9. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

I discovered the show one Saturday morning in 1969. Being 8 years old, I was glued to the set to watch the usual cartoon fare, and then at noon, this very odd music-oriented show came on. I didn't know what to make of it the first week, but by the end of the next Saturday's episode, I was HOOKED. They (and their show) were my gateway drug to music, leading me to collect records, learn to play guitar, and ultimately, open a record store. A lifelong passion, indeed.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

As posted earlier in the thread I was about 8 or 9 when the Monkees hit the scene. As far as feeling old I don't one bit. I try to keep active and not dwell on my age at all. I have friends that do and they act at times like they're 80 years old.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I believe it played on British TV the summer of '67. I remember my mother liking it and my father thought it was stupid. When we went back to school in September the Monkees were all the rage.
    Our teachers were totally baffled.

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Watched the reruns as a kid in the early 70s, largely for the music, as I always thought the show was too silly. Preferred the Partridge Family, Bugaloos and J5 cartoon as musical TV shows in that era. Heck even the Captain & Tenille was a better show.

Head OTOH was one of the best counterculture flicks of the 60s.

Mike Visco likes this.
  13. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

It's now hard to image, but there was a time in the mid-70s when it seemed like what we had (or could find) on vinyl was all we were ever gonna get. It was tough to even find episodes to watch on TV.

14. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Would he have posted such a thread if he hated the show?

15. Mike Visco

Head was rejected outright by the counterculture and of course was not for the kiddies (sound familiar?)

But it was ahead of its time (no pun intended), trippy and embraced by the college crowd in the 70s and 80s where I first saw it. So even though the hippies rejected it-you are correct.

16. Mike Visco

I was basically a first generation fan of the TV show and rediscovered the music in college where I heard more of the later and trippy stuff including the garage band Headquarters and as a garage band musician, was hooked.

I think the phenomenon we see here at SH Music Forum is the strange discography of the Monkees, always changing, sometimes involving the group on instruments, sometimes not, being a breaking ground for classic songwriters of the 60s, being a showcase for the best songwriters of today in the more recent album, singles by the Wrecking Crew, songs by a pretend band turned real, bubble gum album cuts, early country rock and use of the Moog, a cult film and so on and so on.

So to bring us back to this thread, what started as a 60s TV show turned into so much more...and there is nothing else in the world of pop and rock ever quite like it.

JeffreyB, cuddlytoy and mrbobdobalina like this.
  17. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

We watched them every week. We loved them so much our Mom bought us concert tickets when they came through NC. We saw them in Greensboro and the opening act was some group nobody ever heard of called The Jimi Hendrix Experience. :). I can vividly remember Hendrix because he was so extraordinary!

We saw the Monkees again a few years later as headliners in one of those revue shows with a bunch of top 40 bands. That time we also saw them in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn and got some autographs.

Anyway the music has held up quite well and I feel old too.

18. Mike Visco

and you were one of the lucky few who got to see Hendrix live.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

?? That guy's not old.

20. Beatles Floyd

Beatles Floyd Well-Known Member

Do any of you Older guys remember Seeing A broadcast interruption That Paul McCartney was in a Fatal accident?

I am asking out of curiosity I am obsessed with The PID rumor

21. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

For me it was the cable channel Nickelodeon about 30 some odd years ago that I first saw the show.

22. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

If I'm honest, my first introduction to The Monkees was HEAD. It interested me enough to get into the albums (yes, Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones Ltd. is my favorite) then eventually all roads lead to The Monkees TV show.

npgchris likes this.
  23. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I read the post as neutral, YMMV.

24. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I never knew that!

WIKI:

Two cars were contracted, one for the television program and the other as a promotional car, for touring car shows around the United States. Both cars would be built in the span of four weeks. The first version originally featured a 6-71 supercharged engine, a solid mounted rear axle (no springs) and extra rear end weight. This was to enable the car to "pop wheelies." Because the car had too much power and was difficult to drive, the original blower set up was removed and a dummy blower was fitted. The second car was used as a touring car for auto shows and promotional events. Before its transformation into the Monkeemobile, the second car was first seen on TV as Major Nelson's GTO in "I Dream of Jeannie". Both were used on The Monkees TV series, one during the first season and both throughout the second season.[2]

Several notable differences between the two cars exist, such as the size of the door logo and the styling of the fan belt cover and blower lines, which can be used to tell the difference between the two cars.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    npgchris likes this.
  25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The local rock group down the street
    Is trying hard to learn their song
    They serenade the weekend squire
    Who just came out to mow his lawn…

Myke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.