Exciting news! Donna Summer deluxe reissues of 1980-1991 catalogue! (12/01/2014)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

2. pghmusiclover

CD box:

[​IMG]

melstapler and JDeanB like this.
  3. pghmusiclover

Vinyl box:

[​IMG]

jupiter8 likes this.
  4. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Interesting - great if properly done.

I already have "Sometimes Like Butterflies" on CD, looking forward to 12" mixes and other bonus tracks.

I see no previous information on the label mentioned - "Driven By The Music". When I Googled just this phrase, several lithographs and a sculpture done by Ms. Summer were listed. Is the release directly from the estate?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  5. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I belive Driven By the Music is indeed, Donna's estate. I am sure Bruce Sudano is overseeing this campaign.

These look gorgeous, although it's a shame North Americans cannot purchase the exclusive box set. And shame there are no DVDs since some of Donna's videos are not on DVD. But I am looking forward to this set!

6. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I have been waiting for a comprehensive Box Set from Donna Summer, finally, can't wait to
    see the details .

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Does anyone have Bruce Sudano's recent solo album? I would like to know how that is mastered as we would probably get something similar. I have to tell you the Casablanca CD reissues of her Geffen albums sound amazing so they will be hard to beat. Remastered by Ken Perry. I really won't those bonus tracks though so I hope it is comparable.

8. pghmusiclover

Where was "Sometimes Like Butterflies" released before on CD? I must have missed it somewhere along the way!

9. colinu

I already have "Sometimes
    A Canadian compilation Mark Tara "Different Love" http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7345426

It might be on itunes too. This is an authorized version - Universal Music licensed the track. It isn't a needledrop either.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

And the shrieks of target CD owners can be heard the world over.

;)

Seriously, it looks like a great set.

JDeanB likes this.
  11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It's not available online anymore either and that CD is long OOP.

12. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

It's by the Demon Music Group, but Donna Summer did not want the word "demon" to appear on any of her releases, so I guess they created a new imprint for these releases.

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Too bad it doesn't include her 70's music.

rhubarb9999 likes this.
  14. Bruno Republic

Her estate only owns her Geffen and Atlantic recordings. Most of her other material is controlled by Universal, which is why She Works Hard For The Money is not included in this set.

15. pghmusiclover

Her 70's music has been packaged and re-packaged and re-re-packaged (though I don't believe there have been expanded editions of any)! I'm happy to have this part of her catalogue attended to for a change.

BTW, there IS an upcoming Casablanca years box set forthcoming in the Netherlands (this has been delayed several times).

http://thatsentertainment.nl/index....&action=article&aid=8063&lang=EN#.VAXZvCg-JqM

I wish it included her very first European album, which has seen some dodgy reissues over the years...

rxcory likes this.
  16. Bruno Republic

There was a Deluxe Edition of Bad Girls from a few years back.

George P likes this.
  17. colinu

How would she have felt about DEMONstrate, sHELL, etc.? ;-)

18. colinu

Skimming over the track lists, these are just the original versions - "Bad Girls" is not the expanded edition. Potential good: not remastered - originals were well done. Potential bad: does not include 12 inch mixes, or the "Live and More" version of the MacArthur Park Suite.

These two sets leave "She Works Hard For The Money" as an orphan - one of her most successful albums, but not part of her Casablanca era, and not part of her Geffen or Atlantic output.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  19. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

The sticker thingy on I'm A Rainbow (as it appears on the superdeluxeedition website) says "re-mastered and configured as originally intended". I wonder if they re-sequenced the whole thing as it was meant to be (or better yet maybe they assembled the side one suite as originally planned...)

20. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Yeah, the I'm a Rainbow set should be interesting. There are no bonus tracks scheduled. I wonder if Giorgio came in and helped reconfigure it (and possibly remix it)?

Also intrigued by the Wanderer reissue since there are supposed to be bonus cuts included. I am not aware of any B-sides, extended mixes or outtakes so I am assuming they will be single mixes?

The Wanderer reissue from the '90s sounds great.

21. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

I notice that the release date has been put back yet again. It was supposed to be out during October this year. Lame.

22. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

Because I'm a Rainbow will be a double cd I suppose one of the discs will include the 1996 configuration while the other will include the intended configuration (I'm just guessing) including the original mixes of People Talk, True Love Survives and the unedited version of Romeo. There was also a track called Walk Hand In Hand which appeared on a various artists compilation but it's never been quite clear whether it was recorded for the Rainbow album or the Donna Summer album in 1982 (it does seem to have a Quincy Jones vibe as far as I'm concerned)

As for The Wanderer... I've read speculation that Giorgio put together and extended version of the title track but it was never released... whether this is true or not I guess we'll find out soon. The bonus tracks could also include the single edits of Cold Love and Who Do You Think You're Foolin' (nothing exciting but I suppose they belong as bonus tracks)

23. colinu

Anyone with a clue in marketing would time their release to coincide with the other release for maximum visibility.

24. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

Well, quite. At this point it's nothing short of ridiculous considering the set has been promised for several years.

25. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

It looks stunning. Universal also should go this way with her 70ties katalog. Like to see it also on vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.